4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Weld or clamp cat back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 02:26 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Weld or clamp cat back?

ORIGINAL: Scjar

I think SLP is all stainless

Then there is your answer. Keep the flanges because although it isn't impossible to weld steel and stainless, it's not a good idea.

Stick to the bolt on Bro. It'll be easier for you in the long run.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 11-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Scjar
2nd Gear Member

Ok exhaust is getting put on right now

And they also suggested clamping because he said the clamps SLP sent are the good ones. So they are getting clamped =P
Old 11-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Scjar
2nd Gear Member

Well, I just found out they sent me the catback for a Cobra, so it doesn't fit. Now I have to wait a day or 2 for them to overnight another system......
Old 11-02-2006, 01:35 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scjar

Well, I just found out they sent me the catback for a Cobra, so it doesn't fit. Now I have to wait a day or 2 for them to overnight another system......

Hang on a sec, I'll forward you my addy so you can send the "wrong" one over to me.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Scjar
2nd Gear Member

They are making me send this one back in order to get the other one, and now they say it could be Monday or Tuesday before they even respond to my email about the exchange because they are at Trade Shows in Las Vegas.......[:@]
Old 11-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Scjar
2nd Gear Member

Well just an update if anyone wants to know. I called up there fussing again and got a hold of the person in the shipping office and he is going to ship one out today so it should be here tomorrow . He is charging my account for another until I send my old one back, then he will recredit my account. So hopefully this one will be right
Old 11-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Scjar
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to post so many in a row. But it is finally on (clamped) and boy does it sound good!

For anyone who cares :P
Old 11-05-2006, 10:52 PM
KartR31487
2nd Gear Member

Congrats. Its always a good feeling when you add a mod that you can instantly tell in someway. Gotta love the sound...
Old 11-05-2006, 10:57 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

DONT WELD! It will void the SLP warranty. The clamps work great, all high quality stuff. Even tho the fit is good you may still need to adjust the pipes once you get then installed, welding dosnt allow for this.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:30 AM
IROLLSALEEN
2nd Gear Member

hope you never have to drop the tranny. or your a good welder because as soon as you weld it youll need to take some thing out.i/e tranny, clutch , trow out bearing, preasure plate, flywheel. welding is a bad idea. Besides you guys said no leaks, if you wel the whole thing as a unit then how are you gonna see the tops of the tubes to get good penatration?My mid pipe is bassani and uses clamps they work fine and allow you to tuck you system up higher than the bbk etc. and the borla cat back on my 03 cobra is the way to go imo. ive had flows and a few combos but this one is by far the best

Quick Reply: Weld or clamp cat back?