4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Considering 02-04 GT vert - Considered! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:52 AM
cdottrot

Default Considering 02-04 GT vert - Considered! Thanks!

Okay, I've decided that a brand-new GT vert is more than way out of my price range, so I've moved on to the previous generation GT convertibles. My friend has one, as does his dad, and they both love theirs, and have had no real issues with them. First off, a few noob questions:

When I'm looking for one, what are the known trouble spots to look for, especially in a convertible flavour?

How long could I expect a well-maintained GT last? 200kms, 250, 300?

Any cloth tops available on this last gen of Mustangs? I live near Toronto, so I'd like to be able to put the top down every now and then during the winter/cold season.

How is the heater in the Mustang? Suitable for -10C and top down?

(this next one may seem a bit weird/stupid)
If I'm more into highway cruising rather than burnouts and streetracing, is there a kit to improve fuel economy? Or rather, what can be done to help out fuel economy/increase it without affecting performance too much? I'm coming from a 99 Hyundai Accent...so the GT is a bit of a fuel monster comparatively. Are there kits for lower top gearing?

Secondly, after coming along with the aforementioned friend on a few jaunts around town, I've come to the conclusion that this car is a riot to drive. Heck, just starting it up puts a smile on my face! Still, I'm slightly worried about winter driving:

Will narrower steel wheels with the BEST snow tires be enough? Any Canadian/winter-snowbound GT owners out there that can comment?

Thanks in advance, I hope this isn't too much at once!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:48 PM
gouldie1903
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Considering 02-04 GT vert...newb help!!

check the weather stripping on the top make sure thats good. not sure how well the heat is but if the cabin area is sealed up well then it shouldn't be a problem. as for the snow it would be best to get another set of wheels and good snow tires, that way you keep the nice wheels in better shape and get better traction. as for fuel economy just keep the engine well maintaned. i've gotten 28 mpg with my 01 gt vert and i have a friend who's gotten 29 with his coupe. granted that was all highway but if you just drive sane then your gas milage will be decent.

hopefully this helps you. i would try to sell you my car but i'm a little far away.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:14 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

I was in the same boat as you although I could have gone for the 05+GT Vert if I wanted to.
I test drove both cars several times and had an 06 Vert (V6) rental for 2 weeks of driving on a business trip.

Bottom line was, I decided on an 03 GT Vert centennial edition (all options and only in black) and I have not regretted my decision one bit.
The car only has 16k on it, drives like a brand new car and was well maintained plus I saved about $15k (USD) over a new 07 GT vert.

The new models are very nice indeed, but I just didn't want to spend that kind of money on a car.

The motors are very strong and if you change oil/filter and fix little things before they become major it should last a long, long time.

Check the top for leaks, musty smell in the car is a sure sign.
Look at the rubber seals for wear and make certain the top opens and closes completely.

I took mine to a car wash (spray it yourself kind, not automatic) before buying it, after asking the dealer for permission of course.

The heat in this car is VERY STRONG.
You should have no trouble driving top down in the winter with the heat going. I'm 6'1" and I lower the seat all the way so only the top of my hair blows in the wind.
Works rather well for me.

I too am more of a highway and handling type driver as opposed to a straightline racer.

Even with my heavy foot (this car encourages that!) I am getting 22mpg combined suburban/highway driving.
I'm going to take a long trip in a couple of weeks which will be almost all open highway so I'll have a better idea then.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:21 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

sorry but 60* is my cut off limit regarding top up or down lol. OT: I had no problem with mine and if u throw some 4.10s in u will have some more fun on the highway. Change oil and stuff and ur engine will last
Old 11-02-2006, 02:46 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

I live near Toronto too & drive my '02 GT vert all year, no problem at all.

Get FOUR winter snow tires & put them on stamped steel rims to keep the mag rims protected. Don't waste your time driving with all-season tires.

The top is well insulated, I'm just as warm inside the car on a freezing winter day as I used to be in any other car.

If you're concerned about fuel economy get a 5-speed not an auto. Sticks are better fuel economy, and as a bonus, more fun to drive anyways
Old 11-04-2006, 05:53 PM
cdottrot

Thanks for the help! I'm looking at a blue 2004 GT convertible at a local dealer (5spd of course!). It's the 40th anniversary edition, and only has 22000kms on it. It's listed a little high for my pricing, but I'm hoping they'll work with me on that. Already got a quote for insurance from Belair direct, and it's only 500/year more than my 99 Accent is costing me, so that's a nice bonus. Just need to get to the bank and arrange for a loan now...the hard part... Also need to factor in snow tires/wheels, and an MP3 compatible head unit!

Do any of you have a tracking system in your cars? ie. boomerang or something like that.

And for those that bought used, did any of you upgrade the warranty? While the car only has 22kms on it, it is going on 3 years old, so the warranty is running out. Any advice on this?

Thanks again!

edit: GreyStang, my friend has that exact same car, except the 03 model! The wheels on the GT I'm looking at aren't the Bullitt-style wheels, but my friend is upgrading next year so I think I'll be able to pick his up. Also, what's up with the Bullitt wheels being the standard wheels? They look way better than the 40th anniversary wheels.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:32 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

i have a 97 gt vert..the heat is fine..sometimes it takes a little bit longer for it to heat up..but when its on it feels soooo good..and ya check the weather strips..make sure there isnt any leaks there.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Freeing up the intake/exhaust will yeild some improvements in fuel mileage. I'm averaging above 25mpg with an '03GT 5-speed and stock gears...and I don't baby it (obviously, I don't rag on it all the time, either).

That said, don't go too big on the exhaust or you'll lose torque and decrease cruising mileage. 2.5" pipes with cats and mufflers is plenty big for this little engine.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:53 PM
2green4red
2nd Gear Member

I didn't bother with looking for a warranty for mine. I bought it private party, but the option was still there, just wasn't worth the money (mine only had 12,500 miles or so when I bought it 2 months ago). I live in Arizona, so can't help you on the heat.

As for gas, drive conservative. Your going to the gas station more than in your accent, thats the way it is, but open the hood, look at the car, and remember the difference in driving enjoyment. The few bucks is worth it.

Everything else was already covered. Look at the seals, check the top closely for wear spots, starts of tears/seam seperations.

As for putting the top down in the cold. I did it with the heater on the other morning. Crazy, but I it once in a while. Mind you, (assuming I can convert right) it was about 40 F, I think thats near 10 C. Bit chilly on the face. I wouldn't do it any colder, but thats with any drop top, not just the stang.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:34 AM
cdottrot

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll either keep the warranty as it is, as it lasts until June, so whatever is going to break will break by then (in theory...), or just upgrade the powertrain/suspension warranty. I test drove the car today, and man is it sweet! I love the blue. Only little issue was a weird rattle/vibration noise coming from the gear lever area. Any idea what it could be? We tried pressing on the trim panels, but it seems like the noise is coming from inside the shift boot.

As for the exhaust/intake, that also is appealing, but I really don't want to deal with the droning at highway speeds. Have any of you noticed huge differences in sound after an exhaust vs. before? Intake as well?

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do the Mach 1 shaker conversion. It's just too cool! From what I've seen, it's best just to get all the Ford parts. Has anybody actually done this and gotten a total cost?

edit: bah...for the ~$1000 (~$600 for the Ford scoop parts, and probably at least $400 for the hood) it'll cost...not really worth it. Money better spent on winter tires.

Quick Reply: Considering 02-04 GT vert - Considered! Thanks!