4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Will headers cause a car to run lean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:55 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Will headers cause a car to run lean?

any thoughts on why my car gets the hickups if it sits a few days...?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:00 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

I plan on getting cams by the end of the summer. I dont want to spend $500 on a tune until I get cams. Unfortunately, the place that knows mustangs around here charges $300 for the first time of tuning plus $200 for the tune. I dont really know why there is that $300 charge, but I might look at a few more shops before I have it tuned to see if anywhere else is a little bit cheaper. MC racing is the name of the shop btw if anybody has heard of it.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:06 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

The only thing im adding to this.. is this... I am not talking about my experiances with my Cobra. I am referring to things about a 2v, if you remember - I had a 2004 GT - that included LT headers... and I was also using a close friends 03' GT as a personal example without saying it - He had my setup almost exactly - minus tune. He needed a new motor because he was running much to lean, and it popped - he gave me a nice laundry list of things that went wrong. The A/F was in the 15's I believe.. I'd have to ask him when I see him, if he remembers... Again, I never said it happens a lot, but it does happen - that's it. 2000, I respect your opinion on here, and it shows you know what you're talking about - but i think sometimes you forget about the exceptions to the rule. By rule - you're right, but rules are made to be broken.

I stand by my point, that headers are one of the last things i'd do. Honestly, because cams NEED a tune, I would probably do headers + cams at the same time, but not before I put in a better clutch and made sure my tranny was ok... well that's assuming you want to do cams...
I am sorry, but there must have been another problem w/ your friends car to cause it to blow. Running a 15:1 A/F ratio on a n/a 2v gt will not cause the engine to blow.

It could have been anything, a loss of oil pressure, overrev, anything, but his LT headers didn't cause the engine to blow up.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:27 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

2000 - you're not reading what im saying - im not saying LT headers did, or will do it. Very well could've been something else wrong. I just know that the Ford mechanic, and the Speed shop he took it to both said it was because of a lean a/f mixture (Ford still covered it, so don't say they were trying to weasle out of covering it). I just know what im told man, lol - i'll be really honest - I know nothing about interiors of the engines, and little about what is to lean/rich. but you're not reading, and we all know you can read. I never once said that Longtube headers will hurt your car. What i've been saying is about the tune and the A/F mixture. That a car being to lean obviously can hurt your car, and being to rich can too. Which it can. I don't know why you're dragging this on still, it's like beating a dead horse. I say things, and you just ignore what I say and come back with something that's totally irrelevant to what I had previously said. The orginal topic was about headers making the car lean, if anything we've already established that if anything it'd run rich - which can be bad for the motor and performance, as you're leaving horsepower on the table with a rich tune. Again, im done with this topic, enjoy arguing a point that nobody has brought up. You've proved yourself right, against yourself... nice waste of energy, and even bigger one that im still looking at this thread.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:35 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

the point is that none of the boltons will cause the car to go lean or rich enough to acutally damage the car. That, and a n/a 2v will have to be WAY off to acutally damage the engine. So far off that it would simply run like total ***, ping like crazy, all things you would immediatly notice (well before damage occured)

How the hell did the ford tech even know what the a/f ratio was? He was just blowing smoke up your friends ***. The engine is already blown, and he is telling you its leaned out at xx a/f ratio? Hell, the ford shops cannot even check the a/f ratio anyway.

Your friend just got unlucky and had something else go wrong, or a bad motor to start with. His a/f ratio being at 15:1 did not destroy the engine. Hell, there are plenty of cars that come out of the factory running 14.2:1 or leaner.....