4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

benefits of aluminum...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:27 PM
weasel1088
2nd Gear Member

Default benefits of aluminum...

anyone have both aluminum driveshaft and aluminum flywheel? im just wondering what i should be expecting from both? the driveshaft is the ford racing and the flywheel...came from McLeod and i think its a 12 or 13lb one. will i feel the difference?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:30 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: benefits of aluminum...

your RPM's slimb and fall faster. so you can get into your power band quicker. you will have to drill a small hole in your TB the IAC will not be able to pick up the air quick enough so when you push in the clutch the RPM wont catch and alot of the time the car will die. it happened to my car and we just drilled a hole in the TB and that fixed everything
Old 11-07-2006, 11:39 PM
weasel1088
2nd Gear Member

Really?? holy crap thats good to know haha. can you describe or better yet show me a picture of where you drilled? how big of a hole? that sort of thing. so should i expect any increase in acceleration with all that rolling mass decreased?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Acceleration will increase, but it will be easier to bog the engine, too. It will also be harder for the engine to maintain a steady rpm while cruising (decreased mileage being the largest indicator...if that matters to you).
Old 11-08-2006, 12:11 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Acceleration will increase, but it will be easier to bog the engine, too. It will also be harder for the engine to maintain a steady rpm while cruising (decreased mileage being the largest indicator...if that matters to you).
Why would you have any decrease in milage? The flywheel being lighter should not effect anything at crusing speed, other than possibly reducing the effort it takes to maintain speed.

Reduced weight, if anything, should increase fuel milage. The less weight you have to keep spinning, the less effort it requires, the less fuel used.

BTW, I noticed ZERO difference between my stocker and my aluminum driveshaft. The weight difference is not that massive.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:08 AM
meechuacon
3rd Gear Member

I read somewhere that 1 lbs of rotating weight is equal to 7 lbs of standing weight. So go with the aluminum!!
Old 11-08-2006, 01:13 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

yay reduced rotating mass!!! oh and im in the boat with 2000GT4.6 on the idea of reduced weight...thats serious though if you need to increase air flow on the stock tb...does anyone know if that holds true for the cobras?
Old 11-08-2006, 01:21 AM
weasel1088
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Why would you have any decrease in milage? The flywheel being lighter should not effect anything at crusing speed, other than possibly reducing the effort it takes to maintain speed.

Reduced weight, if anything, should increase fuel milage. The less weight you have to keep spinning, the less effort it requires, the less fuel used.

BTW, I noticed ZERO difference between my stocker and my aluminum driveshaft. The weight difference is not that massive.

the only thing i can think of is newtons first law...once the heavier flywheel is in motion it will be harder to slow down thus maintaining the same speed created better gas milage....but i dont give a crap about gas milage lol. i already have the driveshaft in and i didnt notice any difference however when holding them my arm scale seemed to tell me the aluminum was quite a bit lighter. and the flywheel seems pretty damn light to compared to one i had for my old jeep...i guess we'll see shortly.

im kinda feeling like i wanna go with weight reduction instead of hp just to be different. anything else to do besides rear seat delete, i remember a thread and dont know where it went....
Old 11-08-2006, 01:32 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

To let you guys in on a little secret aluminum flywheel and driveshaft do absolutly nothing when you still have a stock engine. To get any benifit from the 2 you need a fully built engine that is able to spin higher. You may think that the lighter weight is better and will help it spin but it doesn't. It actually makes it harder for the engine to get up to speed becuase it uses the weight to get there. lighter wieght makes the engine work harder to get there. When you can get to a higher rpm is when the engine no longer needs the wieght to spin.

Also if you just buy an aluminum flywheel and through it on your engine it will throw off the balance and shorten the life of your engine.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:35 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

When you install a lightweight flywheel, there is no torque loss from the engine. End of story.

A flywheel, by it's very nature, is an energy storage device. It's purpose is to either absorb excess energy from the engine, or average out the energy being put into the transmission, when an imperfect rpm vs. gear/wheel-speed clutch engagement happens.

The energy is stored in it's mass. When you rev your engine, energy is used to move that heavy flywheel... energy that is not put to the wheels. The mass of the flywheel stores that energy by it's motion.

Thus, a lighter flywheel requires less energy to be moved, allowing more of the net total force produced by the engine to go to the wheels, making the car quicker.

But the important question is then, how does this jibe with "real world" experience?

Those who say their car feels quicker with a heavy flywheel are revving the motor above the correct gear/wheel-speed amount, and "dumping" the clutch. The heavy flywheel stored energy, and then transferred it to the transmission/wheels. Technically, during this engagement, the stored energy plus the engine input energy is more than the engine makes alone. The critical thing to realize is that this only holds true during the period of clutch engagement and is a "false torque" sensation.

That "false torque" sensation tricks human perception into thinking the car has more power, when the torque measurement of such an engagement style shows that the "false torque" jump up is immediately followed by a sub-normal torque dip as the heavy flywheel requires more energy input to re-accelerate than the lightweight alternative.

So you see, this is the reason why a lightweight flywheel car will walk away from a heavy flywheel car every time, regardless of how the initial clutch dump may "feel" stronger with the heavy flywheel.

Quick Reply: benefits of aluminum...