4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Evo killed????

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:15 PM
davemurray
1st Gear Member

Default Evo killed????

Let me start by bringing up this story about this mustang gt 97 with the same usual bolt on's like exhaust, intake and gears. Well, I raced this mustang and I won like a couple of times. THe races I've had start off the line without a launch like a 5mph roll. Well I've won and the usual outcome of the race is me ahead like by 2 cars at first and then I pulled like 3 or more or so from my perspective. The mustang owner claims 2 cars, but that's at first. BTW,my car is completely stock.

Then comes along this nice girl with a white STOCK Evo to a BBQ party we had tonight. She gave me a ride, then I gave her a ride in my car. We talked, compared our cars, and I kinda felt the wrx performed better in low end and kinda more linear than the Evo. I know and admit that the Evo has more power, and I noticed it that after 70 mph it pulled really nice. Maybe because of the driver, the evo felt under my expectactions. The thing is that whenever she shifted I felt big thumps on the drivetrain, and I showed her in my rex that I didn't it do it that way, etc. She told me it's normal so I was like ok. Now comes the REAL STORY...

Then she saw the Mustang GT, and I told her about my race with the stang. I told her, "your car is faster than mine, so it should beat this guy easily". She did get cocky and told me that she beat 350z's, etc. WEll, it's beleivable, you do have an Evo I thought. Then on the BBQ party, the race was arranged, with enthusiasm, the Mustang GT vs the EVO. The place was packed with like 25 people. So imagine how the place got all excited and people wanted to know the outcome.

So, it got late, the girl wanted to leave, took her 2 other friends, and the stang owner followed with a passenger. I was behind, in another car, watching with someone else inside. Well, they both line up from a roll, like at 20mph or so or less, 3 honks, and off they go. In an instant, the stang pulls one car, and it stayed like that the entire race. I was like, WTF! NO WAY! They reached 95mph, the mustang brakes, and the evo does a flyby. Then I thought, POOR GIRL. OH MY GOD! No WAY! She must be thinking I lied to her about my own previous friendly races, and she got owned. FYI, it's the first time we met, and I thought she was going to win, since it was a friendly match I convinced her, but SHE LOST! I FELT SO BAD AND SORRY FOR HER! As for the mustang owner, which praised the evo, is thinking about getting a new stang instead of an evo. I told him not to judge his decision according to the race because we don't know if it's the driver's fault.
Boy do I feel sorry for that girl. She wanted to show off her car, but got beaten by a pretty cocky mustang owner.

So people, remember, just because magazines, etc tell us something, don't rely on them entirely. Same thing that happened to me could happen to you.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:18 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Evo killed????

Yea the big thumps in the drivetrain is normal. My friend has an Evo with about 350-360 whp and it pulls like nothing I've ever ridden in before. They are really fast cars.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Hash06
4th Gear Member

so a 97 gt beat an evo? she is an awful driver
Old 11-08-2006, 10:39 PM
davemurray
1st Gear Member

I want your opinion on this as 4.6 mustang owners, if any of you had raced those evos and what was the outcome.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:39 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

yeah evos are faster...his 97 is either hooked up more than u think and he let u win for whatever reason lol or shes just a terrible driver...so the sti is faster than an evo until higher speeds ??? cuz ive always wanted to know.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Hash06
4th Gear Member

i have raced an evo and got killed, those things can launch like a mother. they start out from the beginning two cars ahead
Old 11-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Zero 16X
2nd Gear Member

I havent raced an evo... But i raced 2 BMW Z4s a 350Z and an early 2k subaru. I haven't modded much just basics: uncatted exhaust; 75mm throttle body; wires; stage 3 clutch... I think thats about it... besides wheels and i beat all of them... but the 2nd BMW was right next to my rear fender and slowly gaining. I WOULD love to race an evo if anyone wants to put it down In southeast tx :P
Old 11-08-2006, 11:46 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Evos are really fast up to 85-90. Then they're just fast.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:00 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

I ran side by side with a modded STI last night, but I don't have a non-PI mustang. He pulled out about 1/2 car on me and i closed the gap as he shifted into third, I shifted into third right after and was pulling slightly on him and had to hit the breaks due to traffic. My car has only catted X, catback, 315 DRs, stage2 clutch and 13lb flywheel. His car had at least full exhaust, catless, from the turbo-back. I know because friend had an STI just like this guys and it sounded the same, with no cats and full exhaust from the turbo-back. Also...i saw the STI up in the distance when I went chasing him to race and it was shooting flames when he shifted.

STI's are faster than EVOs, EVOs corner better. The guy must have had a PI swap to his 97gt though, because a stock 97 non-pi would get raped by either car.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:50 AM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

sorry, but wrong section!

Quick Reply: Evo killed????