4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MAJOR PROBLEM ---HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:47 PM
kamelyn
1st Gear Member

Default MAJOR PROBLEM ---HELP!!!!

Ok... here's the problem.

Yesterday while I was cruisin I pulled off the road to fix a speaker wire that had came loose. When I went to take off the car started to "fire hard" or feel like it was misfiring. Wwll I pulled off the road again to check and make sure that none of the spark plug wires had came loose. I checked, unplugged and replugged while the car was off. I cranked it back up and still the same problem occurred. So I tried driving it to the house, as I accelerated if felt as though I was loosing more power, for some reason when i was coming down a slight hill it cleared up with the "hard riding" so i went ahead and gassed a little more to get closer to the house and about 45 sec into gassing it died. Rpm's just stopped and no response. i checked the voltage to make sure that it wasn't a bad alternator and battery, nothing. I went to go crank it and the check engine light doesn't light up anymore when i turn the key into the "on" position, so I found it strange.

I got my OBDII scanner out and tried to see if I could get any codes out of the ECU and everytime I tried to scan it the scanner kept on coming out with "Unable to Communicate with Vehicle." So I can't think of what is wrong other than the ECU being "fried."

Any one have any advice? I want to get this fixed ASAP .... Any help would be great.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:58 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

Default RE: MAJOR PROBLEM ---HELP!!!!

check/replace the wires/cap/plug... see if that makes a difference... I had a similar problem with my truck... but it didn't get that drastic to where it "fried"
Old 11-12-2006, 05:02 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

yea it might be in the boot of one of the plug wires..had that happen on my jetski...pain in the *** thougt i was gonna be stranded in the mimddle of the lake lol
Old 11-12-2006, 05:15 PM
kamelyn
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dubarado

check/replace the wires/cap/plug... see if that makes a difference... I had a similar problem with my truck... but it didn't get that drastic to where it "fried"
did that and nothing. the sn96 has two ignition coils and I replugged everything just to make sure.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:16 PM
kamelyn
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

yea it might be in the boot of one of the plug wires..had that happen on my jetski...pain in the *** thougt i was gonna be stranded in the mimddle of the lake lol
only thing is that it won't even crank to see if that's the case.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:52 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

maybe the loose speaker wire caused a short... although I doubt it... it's just that you're in one of those wierd perdicaments....
Old 11-12-2006, 06:11 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

It's very possible, but if you're getting an OBD-II scan failure, then you may be looking at a bad ECU.. Maybe it was shorted by the speaker wire, weirder things have happened...

JT
Old 11-12-2006, 06:57 PM
burning the tiers
1st Gear Member

it can also be a probem with the spark plug wires. or it can be a bad coil
Old 11-12-2006, 07:45 PM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

ecu by speaker wire.... highly unlikly - more like just about impossible
Old 11-12-2006, 07:59 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

Our cars dont have plug wires....

Quick Reply: MAJOR PROBLEM ---HELP!!!!