4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:36 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: is this true?

[sm=closed.gif]
Old 11-13-2006, 10:39 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

All UPD do is slow your accesories down and reduce drag on the engine therefore freeing up a few ponies. UPD do not slow the crank down at all which is where the oil pump is.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:41 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

exactly why i didnt stand by it, only what i heard
Old 11-13-2006, 10:56 PM
BoBalls08
2nd Gear Member

thanks fellas, appreciate it....
Old 11-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

UDP's are fine on older engines, too. The problem was with the crappy 2 amp alternators that needed 50k rpm to generate 12V.

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

Maybe there are issues on the old pushrod motors, but UDPs on the mod motor are fine. Regardless, neither motor's lubrication system is affected by pulleys. Generator and waterpump turn slower, but the crank, which drives the oil pump I believe, turns like normal, but with a smaller balancer.

In short, you're fine.
Generators....[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 11-14-2006, 12:54 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

UDP's are fine on older engines, too. The problem was with the crappy 2 amp alternators that needed 50k rpm to generate 12V.

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

Maybe there are issues on the old pushrod motors, but UDPs on the mod motor are fine. Regardless, neither motor's lubrication system is affected by pulleys. Generator and waterpump turn slower, but the crank, which drives the oil pump I believe, turns like normal, but with a smaller balancer.

In short, you're fine.
Generators....[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
I didn't catch that earlier. That is funny
Old 11-14-2006, 12:56 AM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

I wouldnt exactly call him a moron..........

I have read lots of post on mach1registry.com about how peoples oil pumps have failed b/c of ud pullies. Maybe not directly but thats what alot of their impressions are. I can tell you that i am deffinately NOT putting them on my mach. [&:]
Old 11-14-2006, 01:55 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

[sm=headbang.gif][sm=closed.gif]
I'll take the logical approach to this one.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:03 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Wasn't calling him a moron about the oil pump[&:]...laughing at the use of generators.

I had thought about UDP's for the '03, but haven't really decided yet. The gears will probably be first...then tires...then a new house with an appropriately sized garage (no less than 6k square feet)....then maybe UDP's. But, that Lincoln MKZ looks interesting...the UDP's may have to wait 'til I get one of those, too.

ORIGINAL: 99mustang0

I have read lots of post on mach1registry.com about how peoples oil pumps have failed b/c of ud pullies. Maybe not directly but thats what alot of their impressions are. I can tell you that i am deffinately NOT putting them on my mach. [&:]
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 PM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Wasn't calling him a moron about the oil pump[&:]...laughing at the use of generators.

I had thought about UDP's for the '03, but haven't really decided yet. The gears will probably be first...then tires...then a new house with an appropriately sized garage (no less than 6k square feet)....then maybe UDP's. But, that Lincoln MKZ looks interesting...the UDP's may have to wait 'til I get one of those, too.

ORIGINAL: 99mustang0

wasnt refering to you

Quick Reply: is this true?