4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmission Questions:

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:57 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission Questions:

ORIGINAL: HaV

ORIGINAL: djb1187

yeah...im in the process now since i blew my synchros and dont want this pos 3650 back in my car. D&d racing has a t56 conversion kit for our car that include the tranny, drive shaft, and crossmember mount. with the t56 we dont need a bell housing but for the tko we need a bell housing, drive shaft yoke, spacers and i think thats it. no the tri-ax off your tranny wont work with either tranny, you gotta get a new one. Steeda makes a diffrent tri ax for both. I have been doing a lot of research on this and if you have any questions feel free to pm me
Thats awesome info. You wouldnt happen to have a link to that would you? Does it have any info for the clutch necessary, etc?

Thanks.
Here you go man...
http://www.ddperformance.com/specials.htm
I think you can probaly just use any clutch for the 03-04 cobra...matts00gt whats wrong with the cobra t56? also does anybody know how the gear ratio on the cobra t56 is compared to the 3650...i am seriously considering the t56 but i dont want my car to feel slower because the 1st gear isnt as steep as it use to be
Old 11-14-2006, 01:59 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

yeah...im in the process now since i blew my synchros and dont want this pos 3650 back in my car. D&d racing has a t56 conversion kit for our car that include the tranny, drive shaft, and crossmember mount. with the t56 we dont need a bell housing but for the tko we need a bell housing, drive shaft yoke, spacers and i think thats it. no the tri-ax off your tranny wont work with either tranny, you gotta get a new one. Steeda makes a diffrent tri ax for both. I have been doing a lot of research on this and if you have any questions feel free to pm me
Thats awesome info. You wouldnt happen to have a link to that would you? Does it have any info for the clutch necessary, etc?

Thanks.
Here you go man...
I think you can probaly just use any clutch for the 03-04 cobra...matts00gt whats wrong with the cobra t56? also does anybody know how the gear ratio on the cobra t56 is compared to the 3650...i am seriously considering the t56 but i dont want my car to feel slower because the 1st gear isnt as steep as it use to be
All the TKO's come with a differen't (longer) 1st gear ratio than my stock 45, and I could not tell the difference speed wise after getting it installed (before the blower even). In fact, I felt that the longer gear helped the car launch harder than ever before. It places you higher in the RPM band when you shift into 2nd, and you stay in 1st longer with the steeper ratio (than 2nd gear)
Old 11-14-2006, 02:02 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Gear ratios:

http://www.campbellgeartech.com/

BTW, IMO the only reason to have a 6 speed is if you are in the habit of racing above about 120 MPH. The final o/d ratio is still about the same as your stocker, so its not like you can run a real steep rear gear ratio and still have low RPMs on the highway or anything.

Between that and the price, I deceded to go with the TKO and have a stronger transmission. I don't have much interest in racing above 120 MPH anyway (I like living, at least a little) and the 56 was just so much more money...
Old 11-14-2006, 02:03 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

oh ok thanx for the info. because some guy on here was saying that his friend had a tko 600 on a gt and when he launched his car would bog because the 1st gear was soo long. i thought that was kind of hard to believe
Old 11-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Thanks.
Here you go man...
There's nothing wrong with it persay, it's just the TKO is a better deal. You can save around 800 bucks and still get the same or better strength depending on which T-56 you get.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:04 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I am running the spec stage 3. since its not a dd, definatly go with the stage 3. Lots and lots of grabbing power, and if its not a DD who cares if the pedal effort is high.

My trans was like 1750 or 1800 bucks. I got it from D&D performance. They shipped it to my shop. ( shipping was extra from the 1800~ )

The only mod that had to be made was a slight change to the transmission mount, had to cut out a little peice (massaged it in other words) but still used the stocker. I got a adjuster and quadrant to go along with the new clutch (you should too) but other than that all the stuff is stock.

Thats about the price I have been able to find them.. They have one with a .64 5th which would be the one I went with.. but all of them have 31 spline outputs. I am probably thinking axles, but arent the 99+ 28 spline?

And thanks for the link to the conversion kit. Thats not a bad price at all. I may contact the company direct and see what they say about the shifter/clutch questions I have.

Thanks a lot for the help guy's I'll take tons of pics and possibly some short vids when I do the swap with some friends and post them up like I did with the speedcal install how ever long ago that was... Would like to take care of this soon (by the end of december if possible).
Old 11-14-2006, 02:05 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

Gear ratios:

BTW, IMO the only reason to have a 6 speed is if you are in the habit of racing above about 120 MPH. The final o/d ratio is still about the same as your stocker, so its not like you can run a real steep rear gear ratio and still have low RPMs on the highway or anything.

Between that and the price, I deceded to go with the TKO and have a stronger transmission. I don't have much interest in racing above 120 MPH anyway (I like living, at least a little) and the 56 was just so much more money...
really? thanx for telling me...the only reason i was looking at a 6 speed is because i thought i could get better fuel economy with my 4.10s on the highway? if its no diffrent i wont even bother
Old 11-14-2006, 02:06 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

oh ok thanx for the info. because some guy on here was saying that his friend had a tko 600 on a gt and when he launched his car would bog because the 1st gear was soo long. i thought that was kind of hard to believe
The 600 is alot longer of a ratio than the 500 though... I went with the 500 because of this, and frankly because its HARD to make 500 ft/lbs. not to mention that the "rating" of all the tranmissions is conservative. There are plenty of people well over the 350 FT/LB or whatever the 3650 and 45 are rated at with no problems.

I cannot see breaking the TKO 500 on anything but a completely insane 4.6L build with a real hefty set of slicks.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Gear ratios:

really? thanx for telling me...the only reason i was looking at a 6 speed is because i thought i could get better fuel economy with my 4.10s on the highway? if its no diffrent i wont even bother
The 3650 also has a .62 o/d gear unless I am mistaken (same as t-56). The T-45 has a .67 or .68 if I remeber right (lower number = less RPM)

The only thing the 56 really does is add a gear between the 1:1 ratio of 4th and the massive .62 o/d of 5th in a 3650. Thats a big jump, and it usually puts you out of the powerband. The .80 5th gear lets you stay in the powerband past 120 MPH.

This is one of the big reasons you see alot of LS1 vs mustang races (both sticks anyway) where they are dead even till the top of 4th and then the LS1 gets away.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

2.87 vs 3.27. I wouldnt say that's a lot, but it would be noticeable. But with 3.73s or 4.10s you wouldnt have much of a first gear anyways...

Quick Reply: Transmission Questions: