4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

( Noob ) needs help deciding how to efficiently tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:59 PM
MohammadK

Default ( Noob ) needs help deciding how to efficiently tune?

Hey im 16 and have a lot of passion for cars but a little ignorant when im get into depth with the technical stuff....im getting a sharp edge GT probably 99 or 00 i should have a few g's to tune it, but first let me explain my goal i want to have an end result of around 400hp I plan on implementing a supercharger..intercooler....exhuast... but would it be wiser to "prepare" my car for these drastic changes such as checking the suspension ( btw its going to be used of course maybe around 60-100k milage) brakes......tires......and overall health of the car?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:05 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: ( Noob ) needs help deciding how to efficiently tune?

its always good to double check everything on your car, and if your concerned about suspension etc you might as well throw a couple extra goodies on there to help plant that 400 hp or control it. There are plenty of OEM upgrade parts that dont cost you an arm and a leg
Old 11-15-2006, 03:02 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I am running a completely stock suspension/brake system with about 420 WHP with no problems.

I am looking forward to doing the brakes, but on the street the car still hooks up very well with the nittos.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:26 PM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

Ditto on that 2000gt i am runnin stock suspension too with 517 rwhp and no problems. Ive got drag radials though if that makes a dif. But i hook fine and stop well too. Brakes? Mustangs were made to go not stop lol.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
MohammadK

wow thanks for the info and im sure ill double check but I dunno, Im new to mustangs and im afraid I dont know how reliable they are especially if im going to add 140-200hp to it....dont want all that power and not be able to back it up with good handling and brakes ha but if what your saying is true that seems like they're really good. im just trying to balance my car out
Old 11-16-2006, 02:38 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

If your not going to be at the track regularly, just get a pair of sticky tires. If you are looking to hook up 400+rwhp at the track on bone stock suspension, good luck. You would want to get springs, subframe connectors, etc.............
Old 11-16-2006, 03:05 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

I would definatly go over EVERYTHING before adding any mods. Of course, make sure you do a lot of research about the rear, because obviously all the power will go to the rear wheels and if something there fails, you've got big problems. I'm pushing around 360HP, and the only change to the suspension is lowering the car few inches. Other than that, nothing changed. Obviously, by changing braking and steering components you will have better handling, braking, and overall reliabilty and strength in the ride if it's not stock, but having stock parts doesn't mean you can't have big engine or you won't be able to stop the car at all. My theory although it may not be true is this. Engine accelerates. Both a V6 and a V8 can go to 100mph. That engine, besides weight distribution has no affect on how fast the car stops, although if it's a manual it may, but I hope you kinda see what I mean. Maybe I'm way off there though. The only thing you would have problem is if you had a 7.5 rear (i think that's size) and that's only on v6s and then you pushed tons of horsepower. It just couldn't handle it. GTs are fine though.

You're main concern at first should be paying the vehicle totally off, TAX, TITLE, LICENSE, LOANS?. That was my main problem, I got a loan, and right away I wanted to spend spend spend. But, I had to pay it off first, but I bought a 360HP Mustang at 17, so most of what I was going to spend was TLC type stuff. Just small stuff.

When you actually start to mod, you want to make sure your engine can handle what you're going to add. Some parts, although not all, need to have pre-requisite parts, to handle them in the engine. If you have a stock engine, you don't want to add something it just couldn't handle. Technically, most parts could be put on any vehicle, but that doesn't mean it's safe or reliable.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:20 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MohammadK

wow thanks for the info and im sure ill double check but I dunno, Im new to mustangs and im afraid I dont know how reliable they are especially if im going to add 140-200hp to it....dont want all that power and not be able to back it up with good handling and brakes ha but if what your saying is true that seems like they're really good. im just trying to balance my car out
Well if you want balance, then obviously you've answered your own question. Do both suspension/brakes as well as engine, in the long run it only helps you out. The second thing is, Mustangs are extremely reliable, especially with aftermarket parts (good ones installed correctly). I mean, most people on here have modded mustangs, maybe just bolt on, shift kits and other computer components, etc etc.

Mustangs and yes, even Camaros (more so mustangs in my opinion) were built for this. Import drivers will tell you buy an import, cheap easy to mod, and sometimes thats true. But Mustangs are just the same, so many parts companies, so many high performance parts to choose from, parts for the track, for the street, the stylistic people, sunday drivers, and even those who drive their stang each and every day. The Mustang may be possibly the easiest, most versatile car to mod. There's just so much you can do, and you can go at it any way you want and end up with exactly the car you want. The Mustang can reach excess 500HP with even just a little work and a little cash. You just gotta find the right parts at the right places for the right price, and with competitive companies like Dallas Mustang Parts or California Mustang etc etc based solely on Mustang products, you can usually find these high quality parts for a pretty good deal. If you're looking for easy 400HP, then the Mustang is the right car to do it. And if you want a 400HP road course racer, or even just a 400HP drag king, then the Mustang is the car for you.

I tell you that because you said you just didn't know how reliable and good at handling an extra 200HP+. I'm just saying, they were built to handle more.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:28 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dastangman

ORIGINAL: MohammadK

Well if you want balance, then obviously you've answered your own question. Do both suspension/brakes as well as engine, in the long run it only helps you out. The second thing is, Mustangs are extremely reliable, especially with aftermarket parts (good ones installed correctly). I mean, most people on here have modded mustangs, maybe just bolt on, shift kits and other computer components, etc etc.

Mustangs and yes, even Camaros (more so mustangs in my opinion) were built for this. Import drivers will tell you buy an import, cheap easy to mod, and sometimes thats true. But Mustangs are just the same, so many parts companies, so many high performance parts to choose from, parts for the track, for the street, the stylistic people, sunday drivers, and even those who drive their stang each and every day. The Mustang may be possibly the easiest, most versatile car to mod. There's just so much you can do, and you can go at it any way you want and end up with exactly the car you want. The Mustang can reach excess 500HP with even just a little work and a little cash. You just gotta find the right parts at the right places for the right price, and with competitive companies like Dallas Mustang Parts or California Mustang etc etc based solely on Mustang products, you can usually find these high quality parts for a pretty good deal. If you're looking for easy 400HP, then the Mustang is the right car to do it. And if you want a 400HP road course racer, or even just a 400HP drag king, then the Mustang is the car for you.

I tell you that because you said you just didn't know how reliable and good at handling an extra 200HP+. I'm just saying, they were built to handle more.
Little cash? to get to 500rwhp you will need Bolt ons, fuel system, tranny, rearend, s/c, i/c, forged internals etc........... Little cash? since when is $8000+ to a 16 yearold, or hell to anybody???

Yeah the mustang is a great car to mod, but its far from cheap buddy. I spent $2k on bolt ons to get to 250rwhp( thats only half of 500rwhp, and the cheap half). Not too cheap my friend, not too cheap.

Im not bashing on anyone or anything, I just dont want this kid to think hes gonna be knocking out Z06's on the street with underdrive pullies and a shift ****.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:48 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ripper

Ditto on that 2000gt i am runnin stock suspension too with 517 rwhp and no problems. Ive got drag radials though if that makes a dif. But i hook fine and stop well too. Brakes? Mustangs were made to go not stop lol.

my god!!!! im running at over 200 hundred ponys less and i HATE not being able to hook,
which is why im bout to put the bilsteins on [sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif]

Quick Reply: ( Noob ) needs help deciding how to efficiently tune?