4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Difference

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:37 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

Default Difference

Whats the difference between a catback exhaust and like a regular high flow exhaust or something, and which provides more flow. im talking about like full exahaust, not just mufflers.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:50 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Difference

a full exhaust is gonna provide more airflow than just a catback....a full exhaust consists of headers, then midpipe, then your catback. a catback is the pipes that connect to the midpipe and are the inlet and outlet of your mufflers.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Crimson Fox
1st Gear Member

A cat-back is just the rear end of the exhause, starting from the catalytic converter. Just doing a cat-back has the potential to increase power in many OEM vehicles.
A "high flow" exhaust can really be anything that has a pipe diameter larger than OEM specs.
A FULL exhaust is the one mentioned in the above post. It will produce the most significant gains and change the sound of the exhaust dramatically (generally).
In the GT's, it is pretty amazing what replacing the mid-pipe and cat-back exhaust does to the performance of the car. Gains are noticiable from the start.
Personally, if you are going to mod your car, I would suggest the full exhaust option which will include the headers.

-Nicholas
Old 11-18-2006, 02:42 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

well... i was thinking of getting some longtube headers and a cat back kit and having the local exhaust shop fabricate everything between the two. thats what they did with the 69 and its quality work, cept they made the entire exhaust. is that a good idea, or would it be better to just get the headers and have them make everything else?
Old 11-18-2006, 05:32 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuzzyDiceRule

well... i was thinking of getting some longtube headers and a cat back kit and having the local exhaust shop fabricate everything between the two. thats what they did with the 69 and its quality work, cept they made the entire exhaust. is that a good idea, or would it be better to just get the headers and have them make everything else?

i think you would be better off buying all the parts. they would be made at a large factory with mendrel bending machines and everything will fit together perfectly.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:47 PM
patriot98
1st Gear Member

Its not the fit youre after, its the tuning of exhaust system, positioning of x pipe should be presice for maximum gains. Go with a complete kit, dont mix and match parts. Mufflers you can mix and match.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:44 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: geetee03

i think you would be better off buying all the parts. they would be made at a large factory with mendrel bending machines and everything will fit together perfectly.
lol, at the muffler shop im talking about, they bend all of their own tubing, its pretty cool to watch, what mufflers do you guys think sound good on the gt's im thinking of going with either Bassani....somethings, Borla...something else or SLP resonators wither loud mouth I or II
Old 11-18-2006, 06:47 PM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

Id go either SLP Loudmouth 2's or Magnaflow. Both sound great.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:01 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

lol, at the muffler shop im talking about, they bend all of their own tubing, its pretty cool to watch, what mufflers do you guys think sound good on the gt's im thinking of going with either Bassani....somethings, Borla...something else or SLP resonators wither loud mouth I or II
I had the muffler shop make my cat-back out of there mandrel pipes. very nice and cot effect for my nissan BUT a shop cant make a mid pipe you have to buy yours.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:02 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SXGT

I had the muffler shop make my cat-back out of there mandrel pipes. very nice and cot effect for my nissan BUT a shop cant make a mid pipe you have to buy yours.
i beg to differ, they made a midpipe on the mach, so we could service the tranny.

Quick Reply: Difference