4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Difference

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Difference

The reason they won't do it is due to Federal law and the catalytic converters...not their skill. Of course, if you know the shop well enough, they'll make the midpipe anyway.
ORIGINAL: FuzzyDiceRule

ORIGINAL: SXGT

ORIGINAL: geetee03

well... i was thinking of getting some longtube headers and a cat back kit and having the local exhaust shop fabricate everything between the two. thats what they did with the 69 and its quality work, cept they made the entire exhaust. is that a good idea, or would it be better to just get the headers and have them make everything else?

i think you would be better off buying all the parts. they would be made at a large factory with mendrel bending machines and everything will fit together perfectly.
lol, at the muffler shop im talking about, they bend all of their own tubing, its pretty cool to watch, what mufflers do you guys think sound good on the gt's im thinking of going with either Bassani....somethings, Borla...something else or SLP resonators wither loud mouth I or II
I had the muffler shop make my cat-back out of there mandrel pipes. very nice and cot effect for my nissan BUT a shop cant make a mid pipe you have to buy yours.
i beg to differ, they made a midpipe on the mach, so we could service the tranny.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:29 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

The reason they won't do it is due to Federal law and the catalytic converters...not their skill. Of course, if you know the shop well enough, they'll make the midpipe anyway.

ORIGINAL: SXGT

ORIGINAL: geetee03

well... i was thinking of getting some longtube headers and a cat back kit and having the local exhaust shop fabricate everything between the two. thats what they did with the 69 and its quality work, cept they made the entire exhaust. is that a good idea, or would it be better to just get the headers and have them make everything else?

i think you would be better off buying all the parts. they would be made at a large factory with mendrel bending machines and everything will fit together perfectly.
lol, at the muffler shop im talking about, they bend all of their own tubing, its pretty cool to watch, what mufflers do you guys think sound good on the gt's im thinking of going with either Bassani....somethings, Borla...something else or SLP resonators wither loud mouth I or II
I had the muffler shop make my cat-back out of there mandrel pipes. very nice and cot effect for my nissan BUT a shop cant make a mid pipe you have to buy yours.
i beg to differ, they made a midpipe on the mach, so we could service the tranny.
ah, i see, thank god for the pre 1975 rule thing.... yeah, i dunno, thats grounds to get a midpipe and headers and have them make a catback...???
Old 11-19-2006, 02:20 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

The mid pipe, espcially if you are talking about going with no cats, is going to be the cheapest part of your exhaust anyway (assuming you get a quailty catback). There isn't any reason to buy a catback and a set of LTs and then have the shop fab up the stuff inbetween.

I can't see any shop wanting to screw with all the welding work etc, buying the flanges to boltup to the headers etc (plus buying cats if you want it legal) for the same price you can get an aftermarket midpipe. For refernce, if you get a o/r X its only gonna cost you 180 or so bucks.