4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mysterious noise HELLPP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 02:07 PM
99convertstang

Default Mysterious noise HELLPP!!!!!!

Ok this is driving me nuts...even more than I am already.

I have spent many dollars and countless hours with the horse in the shop and to no avail. No one can seem to find the cause to this noise,

It seems to be coming from the right front. I have replaced the struts and the strut plate is cherry...no wear no nothing on that.
All suspension parts are tight. All bushings are ion ok conditions. Could use a poly changeover but not just yet.

The noiseseems to be when acceleration is applied and when going over bumps. It will do this little noise without foot on the pedal when going over bumps.
It is a clicking type noise.

Any help would be appreciated....I just spent $915 yesterday and the noise is still present and worse now. Cant seem to track it down.

Glenn
Old 11-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Mysterious noise HELLPP!!!!!!

Got a CAI? Sure it's not bouncing around?

Old 11-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Does it do it all the time? If so, can't the mechanic drive the car and try and diagnose it. Noises can drive you crazy. I just bought a 2002 GT and when its in overdrive, I hear a rattling when accelerating. Sounds like a handful of BB's being dropped into a coffee can. Only in overdrive and only when accelerating. I brought it to the Ford dealer and they found out it was coming up through my Steeda shifter. I wrote to Steeda and they supported the findings. Just something I have to put up with. I turn up the radio to fix the problem. Point is, a good mechanic should be able to hear it and make an educated guess. It sounds like the right front to you, but to be honest, it could be coming from anywhere. Have them put the car up on a lift and accelerate, shift etc.... and listen for the noise. They should be able to find it.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:44 PM
rvoss5
2nd Gear Member

sounds like u have something loose. there are so many things it could be though.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:49 PM
99convertstang

Meh....you would think they would be able to find it. The local Ford dealership (Dublin Ford) said it was the strut plates and the bearing were worn.
So being that they worked on mustangs all the time I beleived them....so I replaced the front struts with kyb adjustables and when the mech tore it down.,....the strut plates were cherry....nothign worn or damaged.

The noise is so obvious that you would think a deaf man could hear it.

Shelbyville- Hmmm does have that type of a sound but it seems to come from the front of the car not under the shifter.

I am taking it back here in a few to yell at the mechanic
Old 11-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Mine sounded like it was coming from the front engine compartment. Its amazing how sound travels and fools you. This is why the mechanic should put it on a lift and listen with whatever tools they have for tracking down vibrations instead of just guessing.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:08 PM
99convertstang

Totally agree after spending 900$ yesterday....time to stand there and instruct the wrench monkey the fine art of taking car of my horse.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:16 PM
96 myztic
2nd Gear Member

could it be a loose brake pad? if a clip fell out they will rattle goin over the nips in hte middle of two lanes, slow bumps etc and will go away with more speed. Sometimes the retention clips holding the pads in will break or fall off and it makes a very little annoying tinging noise as the pad bounces off the rotor/caliper. Just a thought.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:33 PM
99convertstang

Hmmm yet another good idea to look for....was thinking the calipers might be loose ....the brake pads.....yeah...yeah that s a damn good idea.

I knew you all would come up with good ideas :-)
Old 11-22-2006, 03:54 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelbyville

I brought it to the Ford dealer and they found out it was coming up through my Steeda shifter. I wrote to Steeda and they supported the findings.
i have the same noise! I always thought it was comming from the tranny itsself. Do you know what on the shifter causes the noise? What did steeda tell you?

Quick Reply: Mysterious noise HELLPP!!!!!!