4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Help on Supercharger . . .??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Gumby
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help on Supercharger . . .??

ORIGINAL: jacrockett

I have an intercooled 1.7L Kenne Bell kit for sale for $3k
I would love to buy it, but I can't afford it until the spring.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:02 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

I'm not in a hurry to sell it, so you never know. I have a long list of parts from my last motor:

Old 11-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Gumby
2nd Gear Member

I'm not in a hurry to sell it, so you never know. I have a long list of parts from my last motor:

Ok if you still have it, I'll look for you around April.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:04 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

I have an intercooled 1.7L Kenne Bell kit for sale for $3k
Thats awesome...do me a favor and hang onto that for 6/8 months so I can get credit cards paid down a little...then I'll jack the credit cards back up with your s/c!!

Man its tempting to throw that on a credit card...if I get drunk and have access to my cards and my computer, I may hit ya up. lol
Old 11-22-2006, 11:31 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

well 12lbs intercooled is like 9-10 at the motor... I wouldnt go over 10 psi at the very very most... but the more relavent issue is the whp rating - keep it under 400 rwhp if you want to last.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:07 AM
MdnightBlu02GT
1st Gear Member

A good thing to do is learn about the stuff you want to put in...

A supercharger is simply forced induction that can bring a good amount of horses but there are different kinds for example a Kenne Bell is a twin screw supercharger that sits on top of your intake and pulls in air, sortve compresses it and makes more pressure... a vortech is what they call Centrifugal that uses an impeller to increase pressure and shoots it into your engine....

A turbocharger on the other hand uses exhaust gases to spin a turbine and pump compressed air into your engine...Lag is what you get with a turbocharger, it takes a second to kick in but a supercharger runs off a belt drive so theres no lag...

An intercooler is definetly a must, if your goin to spend the money, get the intercooler...

Another thing... its important to remember that horsepower is all about the flow so if your gonna supercharge, make sure you get some good headers and a good flowing mid pipe and catback...some strait through type mufflers...its about gettin air in and then gettin it out ya know...

I think its good to have a bigger throttle body and plenum if your gonna supercharge too.

Just my .02...hopefully it helps a little, anyone else feel free to correct me if any of my information aint right
Old 11-23-2006, 12:15 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gumby

ORIGINAL: nathansee3

I own 1999 Ford Mustang GT. I was wondering what everyone thought about superchargers. I was wondering what mods to do prior to adding a supercharger and what brand of sc i should get.
If you want a superior supercharger then get a Kenne Bell.
I would kill for one. Seriously....
Exactly what are you basing this on?

After having done the research, what I found was the only way they are "superior" is they spend alot more of your money, and they make alot more torque down low, while sacrificing power up top....
Old 11-23-2006, 12:24 AM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

With s/c selection, it's about how you want to drive. For me, cruising down the fwy @ 2000 rpm, I want to be able to stand on it and hit 100mph in about 3 sec. Twin-screw is the best way to get that kind of response.

If you want the best 1/4 mile, the centrifical s/c is the way to go... unless you can afford twin turbos, and don't care about a smog test.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:44 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Long tube headers will help you yeild signifcantly more hp with less boost on a supercharge / turbo application.. a throttle body would help too - but that depends on wut kind of FI your going to buy, you might not need it.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:51 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

well thats not completely accurate anymore - the new 2.2 kb are sick... they dont use as much power to run anymore and max out 750 hp... and they have close turbo power curves (I know the top end is different but hey they hold almost full power from 2k-6k), the twin screws dont fall flat like they once did and nothing like a roots does... I love vortech and procharger but i think im going KB in the near future. your vortech screams up top but full boost at 2k is nice to have... but like you said the kb is more expensive, but not by as much as I once thought - i want buy a used system. however I think your right, I dont think that any of these are really "superior" but have different strengths - the vortech is the most reliable system but doesnt make as much power or at least speed as comperable prochargers do. They all have trade offs and you have to decide what is best for you!... but the centri blowers makin boost at 3k is not a problem - when youre gettin on it youre already there so that should deter you, I can see how a vortech is better for the track, but for daily driving the KB is going to be street faster. Heck i dont even know anymore ?!?!? - just buy one and bragg about it, bc its going to be awesome!

Quick Reply: Need Help on Supercharger . . .??