4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

twin screw or Centri for big hp daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:36 AM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

Default twin screw or Centri for big hp daily driver

Ok guys.. I know that there have been a lot of s/c questions lately in here and most of them have been the age old question which is better between twin screw or centri superchargers. I have been reading up on all the threads about it and I know the difference between a twin screw and centri supercharger. It seems that most people seem to think that the twin screw is better for a daily driver where the centri is better if you drag your car at the track a lot. But, I'm not sure about which is better for me. I was hoping that you guys who have some experience with the two different kinds of s/c's could give me your advice for what I'm looking for. This is what I want to use it for:

I live in south Florida. On any given weekend I see a few vipers, Ferrari’s or lambo's on the road. If I'm on the highway and one gets a little foggy I want to be able to stomp him. I am not much for stop light drag racing so I won't be doing much of that but I do like carving corners and maybe in years to come I will be able to get a different car and keep this one for open road track days (I’m not sure yet). This will be a daily driver (at least for the next few years) so whatever I get has to be easy to maintain.

based on the above I think I need the following but you can chime in if you think otherwise:

ultimate goal is 650-700rwhp but need to be able to go low boost to keep around 400hp or so at first b/c I only have stock internals for now.
Needs to be easily maintained b/c this will be on a daily driver.
Needs to be good for beating high hp cars on the highway but good for road race applications.

Based on what I’m looking for I think that the kb 2.6l s/c is what I should get but any info you guys could give me, especially if you have a s/c or have tried both, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Default RE: twin screw or Centri for big hp daily driver

go with the twin screw if you have the money. I like my vortech, but its not that great on the low end. Pulls real nice on the top end though and I think its better for corner carving.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:17 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

For the fun factor KB would shine down low. From a roll it really depends on preference. KB's just sound sick and intimidating, but are more noticable at low rpms than a centrifical SC. So if you dont want the whine to be heard and give that away, look at the centrifical, you can at least stay out of boost.

Though you didnt ask about turbo's, i would look at twin turbo, something like the stage 2. This would be my vote.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:09 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

no doubt you could see your power range easier with a twin screw...but my votes for the centri because the hp your talking about i dont think you'd want it on tap, and a twin screw would have it all down low, not good on street tires. The centri's build up of boost would help you keep traction for daily driving and maintainence issues (hey they come with their own warranties). As for corner carving, unless you plan on pulling out of a corner at less than 3500 (where your boost starts, and btw you'd get lapped) then a centri should still be good for u

Something i was reading about yesterday too...i wouldnt go too steep a gearing because you'll find yourself in and out of boost quickly
Old 11-27-2006, 01:13 PM
LasrRd00GT

I have a 2000 GT convertible and its an automatic. Its a daily driver and i have a steeda/bilsteen suspension and a strut tower brace. I love the whole corner carving thing and plan to still do all that, as well as the ocasional race on the highway (high speed... from 60-120mph), maybe once every two weeks a nice drag race from a stop light. Other than that, i might take her to the track once or twice to see how she does after a few mods. I am looking at a vortech SQ trim centri. supercharger and a saleen series 4 twin-screw supercharger. For my description given above, what would be the BEST choice? Keep in mind that its a daily driver and it has a problem with traction in foul weather (from dead stop and full throttle from 20-30mph). So i was thinking the centri design was good for that because boost doesnt start until about 4k rpm, but will i still have a good SAFE daily driven car (even in foul weather) if i decide to go with the twin-screw? How big of a power curve does the twin-screw have as the higher rpms approach?

Thanks...

Old 11-27-2006, 01:22 PM
USArmy_Medic
1st Gear Member

go centiugal if it's a daily driver, it's easier on the drive train
Old 11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

it sounds like you want centri. If your racing on the highway, who cares if you have boost down low. Also for road racing and cutting up corners, you probably dont want 600 ponies down low when you jump on it coming out of a sharp turn. Just my thoughts.

Matt
Old 11-27-2006, 02:17 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

I definately would think centri would be easier on the car all around for a DD. I want my daily driveability to remain like-stock so I'm going with a centri setup myself...that and they are alot cheaper. lol
Old 11-27-2006, 03:03 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys.. At first I was thinking twin screw.. but now I'm kinda leaning towards centri..

Old 11-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Oh yea I forgot to add that traction is great with the centri. Even in the rain it doesnt spin from a slow roll until like 5-6psi. I think its a great chice for a DD. Go with an intercooled setup though. I would pick a mongoose kit from MPH over a procharger setup. The s-trim is VERY intimidating. It screams and people say they can hear it spooling from a mile away. It was a little annoying at first cause everyone is always looking at your car trying to figure out what the noise is, but ive gotten used to it now.

Quick Reply: twin screw or Centri for big hp daily driver