4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cobra or GT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:05 PM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cobra or GT?

yea i do have other mods. i've decided its 4 sale
Old 11-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Azure
2nd Gear Member

Don't get me wrong, I love my GT to death, but if I had the opportunity to pick up an 03/04 Cobra I'd do it in a heartbeat. They are incredible and have room to improve and be competitive with next-generation sports cars.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:22 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

yes, cobras are just amazing, just looking around at svt performance website makes me want a cobra so bad, i mean just getting the blower ported to a stage 4 adds 70hp and it only costs 500ish to get it machined and a few pullies and you have like 500 rwhp. Its rediculously awesome. eventually i will have one some day, id jump on it if you have the money, just dont get a white one[:'(]
Old 11-28-2006, 11:47 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

BAH!!! TO HELL WITH THE COBRAS!!!! lol. But nah really they are nice cars. I just love my GT. I wish I could afford an Eleanor though.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:54 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

what do u mean its cheaper in the long run to mod the gt i dont understand. think about how much money it'll take to get a 550 hp gt that is reliable/streetable then think about a cobra.
the point is for the money you spend on the cobra - (esp if you buy a GT coupe vx cobra coupe) - you can mod your GT to better and faster than the cobra.

for 6k you can a forged and p/p GT supercharged and in some places turbod puting 600+ to the wheels... cant compete with that for the money... and those internals are good for 1000 and raise your rpm limit to 7k... throw in 2 or 3k for tranny.. and then 1k in suspension /brakes you got 1 bad mamajama...

so case in point

04 Gt coupe (30k miles) - i know not the best deal but a good one - 14k

03 cobra coupe (40k miles)- what you all pay for them - (22k+) stock cobra add 2-3k in mods 500-600 rwhp w/ nos (which I dont want)

so ten grand in the GT... price 24K... hp 500-800 and good to go
Old 11-28-2006, 11:58 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bransdaman78

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

what do u mean its cheaper in the long run to mod the gt i dont understand. think about how much money it'll take to get a 550 hp gt that is reliable/streetable then think about a cobra.
the point is for the money you spend on the cobra - (esp if you buy a GT coupe vx cobra coupe) - you can mod your GT to better and faster than the cobra.

for 6k you can a forged and p/p GT supercharged and in some places turbod puting 600+ to the wheels... cant compete with that for the money... and those internals are good for 1000 and raise your rpm limit to 7k... throw in 2 or 3k for tranny.. and then 1k in suspension /brakes you got 1 bad mamajama...

so case in point

04 Gt coupe (30k miles) - i know not the best deal but a good one - 14k

03 cobra coupe (40k miles)- what you all pay for them - (22k+) stock cobra add 2-3k in mods 500-600 rwhp w/ nos (which I dont want)

so ten grand in the GT... price 24K... hp 500-800 and good to go

Sounds like what I keep telling people..... *Rolls Eyes* lol
Old 11-29-2006, 12:34 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

If its supposedly cheaper... then why dont more people do it? I see many guys instead of trying to mod up the GT to get it 500+, sell and get the Cobra. I know a few do it for the cool factor. I done it for that and it just seemed easier to do. Not including nitrous in this, it just seems to me your gonna max out your GT quicker than the Cobra. With the cobra, you can do a pulley, intake, midpipe, catback, tune, port the eaton along with a couple of cooling mods and a couple of suspension parts... and you get get over 500 easily on a good safe tune.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:44 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Well Its more of a personal prefrance to me. I can go on and on for hours of why I (me, myself) prefered to go with "SOUPING UP" my GT rather then buying a Cobra. One of them was for the suprise factor or what one may call the "sleeper" look. And with the right combos a 2v GT can get up to 800rwhp. Modular Power House I think managed to get one close or if not slightly into the 900rwhp range while maintaining just a 2v motor..... Ok yes a 4v Cobra motor and go WAY WAY WAY more then a 2v motor but I asked myself.......

500rwhp with the right set of supension, tires, and pratice combos, I can easily see low 12s if not 11s. The moment I hit Mid 11s even if its by accident..... There is one thing I will NOT put on my fun car, A ROLL CAGE!!!!! And a new race seat with 5 point harness..... blah blah blah..... I tend to wanna do things right..... So what if you got 1000 or so rwhp...... What am "I" gonna do with all the power? Unless she is STRICKLY my Track Warrior and nothing else, then fine. But I take my car on the streets about 3 times a week. I need to maintain the a quality almost looking straight out the factory ride, with a little more beefiness then your regular GT so to speak.

My Goal is by the end of 2007 to complete Project Bumboclaat with a set of Stage III heads and VT blower cams to complement the supercharger and add another 100 shot of Giggle Juice to bring me around the high 600s range. This is the LIMIT as far as the experts are telling me, to my stock tranny before I gotta go with something else.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:19 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Yea... I guess it depends on what you want. Personally for me, I would like to get around 550-575 and leave it there. Should be good for track use and street use. Any more than that, then its just too much and not needed. If your just going for strictly the track... the sky is the limit on what your looking for.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Scjar
2nd Gear Member

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just drop a new motor and such than to go out and buy a cobra anyway?

I could be wrong, havn't really looked into motor prices

Quick Reply: Cobra or GT?