4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Got my MGW shifter today

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 02:42 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Got my MGW shifter today

ORIGINAL: M1ke

silicone is only a problem when taking off. getting a gasket wont do anything toward taking the stock one off. and if you got an mgw you wont want to take it off. the silicone that comes in the kit is fine. i installed mine yesterday.

i tightened em very snug
Except for when you might have to take it off for whatever reason... say changing your transmission fluid. No, you go ahead and get under the car with some crappy pump and pump the fluid in. I'm just gonna pull my shifter off in about 5 minutes and dump it in from up top, piece of cake.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:56 AM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

or you just take off the top shift boot and run the funnel through there and down into the hole. trust me works like and charm. ive done it before. and putting the silicone on was a breeze
Old 11-30-2006, 03:07 AM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

they both work equally well, to each his own.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

Whatever you do don't tighten the bolts too much. I stripped the threads out of the hole on the rear right hole on my tranny. Had to fill the hole with RTV sealer to keep the bolt in there snugly. Haven't had any problems though. The factory RTV sealer was a beeyotch. I had to put my foot on the stock shifter and leg press the sum beetch off. BTW I love my B&M ripper shifter. I like the MGW too (friend has one). B&M was a purchase of convenience due to my impatience and not wanting to wait for my order to get thru the mail. No regrets though.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:23 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: M1ke

or you just take off the top shift boot and run the funnel through there and down into the hole. trust me works like and charm. ive done it before. and putting the silicone on was a breeze
Fair enough then. As long as that works for you. I don't really see an advantage either way over the other other than a gasket being cleaner and marginally easier (not like putting silicone on is hard). I guess it comes down to: the gasket is a little easier to use at the moment and in the future should you have to, but it costs a small amount. So it just depends on the person and what they want to do. As II 98 GT II said below, to each his own.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:00 AM
phantom1
1st Gear Member

I put my MGW on last Sat with Cobrabob's silicone gasket (saw it in an article of Dec 06 Modified Mustang). He recommended using Threadlocker BLUE while tightening down until the gasket starts to squeeze and expands outwards. I left it like that and it's perfect. I checked for leaks, none. It is really quiet and I LOVE THAT MGW SHIFTER. IT FREAKEN ROCKS. Completely changes the drive experience of the car for me.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the feedback. AJ97GT, just curious, where did you get the gasket. Did you have to make your own? I still think I will call them today just to see what they say. If I get an answer, I'll post it here.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
phantom1
1st Gear Member

Google "Cobrabob's mustang gasket's". It should come up with his website for the silicone gasket I mentioned earlier. It worked really well.
ORIGINAL: Shelbyville

Thanks for all the feedback. AJ97GT, just curious, where did you get the gasket. Did you have to make your own? I still think I will call them today just to see what they say. If I get an answer, I'll post it here.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:59 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Check out the Vendor's section... CobraBob is already on it for our forum.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, or I got mine from American Muscle just because that's where I originally got my Tri-Ax from so I ordered them together. I've since switched out to an MGW but I've already got that gasket.

Quick Reply: Got my MGW shifter today