4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fuel Injector Install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:07 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Injector Install...

If you're half way handy with tools, then you'll be fine. Mine took me about 7 hours to install. But then I have the Procharger. Good luck with the install. Speaking of new numbers, I'll be getting my new numbers today. As we speak (er type) the guy at the shop shouuld bein the process of getting it all hooked up or possibly even running it now.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:32 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

Original: SOHCtimes2:
Thanks guys, I can't wait to install all this **** sittign in my room this coming weekend!
i hear ya on that one!!! ive had my vortech kit since july...and im finally going to a speed shop to get it installed on monday along with my headers...i am SOOOO excited i cant even begin to tell you. best of luck with the self install...i unfortunately am not all that savvy and am going to pay for a much more knowledgeable person to do it.

post those dyno numbers when everythings all set!!
I would have done the install for ya for a case of beer and your help.

Of course florida is a ways from mid missouri. How much are they charging for just the blower install?

Honestly, it think I would do it for anybody on the forum for free, or nearly so. Its not really that bad.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:43 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Im glad you guys are saying its that easy...with me getting the radiator / fan mods, fuel pump, oil pan tapping, etc done and out of the way during the week that makes me really feel like I might be able to finish the entire install Friday night and go get my tune on Saturday! woot! And if not...at least be able to finish up early saturday morning and go off for the tuning in the afternoon or something.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:47 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Do you have the instructions for tapping the pan?

You do know you do NOT use a drill right?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:51 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Do you have the instructions for tapping the pan?

You do know you do NOT use a drill right?
Yeah I have the instructions, it says to use a very small drill with alot of grease to get a small hole started...then you use the punch supplied with the kit + an air hammer and stop at a certain point. Then you use the thread tapper and then thread in the fitting. THen from there I will cap it off for the time being. Oh it also says to use a hanger or something to make sure the crank isnt in the way of using the punch and to turn the car over a bit until u can get about 3" of clearance.

Am I missing anything?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:58 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I used a regular hammer not an air hammer, just to have more control.

You want to use the smallest punch possible because if you get it too far in you can damage the oil pickup.

Be really really careful with the tap, take it slow, and use a TON of really really heavy grease on it to catch any shavings possible.

Also, I did NOT use a drill bit to start the hole, since you can still get shavings in there. Instead, I used a starter punch. This is the way to go reall, cause there are zero shavings and you get a bit more precise control (if your good with a hammer).

Edit; You could have a hard time finding a cap for it, why are you doing that? Gonna do one part of the install and then another?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:15 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Going to do the oil pan tapping at my dads work sometime during the week, he already has something to plug the end of my fitting with there at work also he said. Doing this just so I dont have to **** with it under the car at my house on friday/saturday. Trying to get as much done during the week as physically possible, so that when friday comes i just have the actual blower install, injectors, and uhhhh oil line routing pretty much.

The guy I got the kit from supplied me with the punch and tap that he used when he installed it on his car previously. The punch is the one that comes with the kit, it is pictured in my install manual.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:22 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

The injector install is a breeze. Just make sure you get all of the stock o rings out before you put the new ones in. (you don't want to double gasket.)

I bought the tap and punch but couldn't get any leverage in there with the hammer & the punch, so I ended up drilling it. No problems to speak of yet.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 PM
JPGT_00
2nd Gear Member

The TAp is pretty easy just nerve racking. I wouldn't drill like 2000gt said just use a center punch and lots of grease. Its literally one of the easiest parts of the install.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:24 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

I'm gunna do it all by the book, will take it to my dads work to use their lift to make it easier on myself. He has an air hammer there too.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Install?