4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Newb with a california emissions question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:43 PM
muzikp
2nd Gear Member

Default Newb with a california emissions question

I just bought a 99 GT in Nevada and am trying to get it smogged in California. I've only been to one smog place so far but the guy just closed the hood and said no way when he saw my BBK CAI. He was looking for a C.A.R.B. number or something. He was also looking at the NAWZ stuff but he didn't know what it was so he ignored it.

So doe's anybody know if the BBK CAI and throttle body is legal in CA. and where I would get paperwork to prove it to the smog places? What about the NAWZ, will I have to remove it to pass and then re-install it?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:08 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Default RE: Newb with a california emissions question

ummmm i could be wrong but what the hell does and intake have to do with emissions...........
Old 12-04-2006, 03:11 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: uberstang1

ummmm i could be wrong but what the hell does and intake have to do with emissions...........
it's part of the engine. lemme know if you need to know what the engine has to do with emissions.

and yeah, in CA, they do a visual inspection, but I thought the BBK was CARB certified... check their website, or put the stock filter setup back on.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 PM
muzikp
2nd Gear Member

That was my thought as well. I suppose an intake would allow more air which would allow more fuel but I just don't see how it would matter on the emissions.

Regardless Arnold Schwarzenegger hasn't given me the green light to drive my car yet until I get this intake thing sorted out.

Anybody in Ca. have a BBK intake pn/1718?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:14 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Well in PA engine mods have NOTHING to do with emissions tests, the do a visual check for cats and a gas tank check thats all, thats why i was wondering what a intake had to do with emissions tests
Old 12-04-2006, 03:16 PM
muzikp
2nd Gear Member

I don't have the stock one to put back on and the BBK site has no info on emissions stuff. I'm hoping somebody here has been down this road before and can tell me where I can find the paperwork.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-04-2006, 03:23 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Well in PA engine mods have NOTHING to do with emissions tests, the do a visual check for cats and a gas tank check thats all, thats why i was wondering what a intake had to do with emissions tests
uberstang1, how do you have an o/r mid pipe if they check for cats? I'm in Pa too, and often wonder about what will fail.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:25 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

I just looked up the part and it is NOT california CARB certified. Do yourself a favor and go to a little ****ing ghetto hole in the wall test & repair place. They will ignore it, especially if you slip em some extra $$.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:32 PM
muzikp
2nd Gear Member

Thanks.

Two questions; where did you look it up at? and will another brand CAI fit on my BBK throttle body?
Old 12-04-2006, 05:36 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

I have a MAC CAI and it has a CARB#. I would call BBK and ask them. Any CAI can be made to fit your throttle body.

Quick Reply: Newb with a california emissions question