4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger ?'s...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:21 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger ?'s...

Yeah 10 psi is 10 psi but it'll make different power. The centrifugal blowers take less to drive at the higher RPM's so at the same 10 psi you'll see a little more peak power, the twin screw will give you more power everywhere else though because you see full boost so low.

ORIGINAL: 01stangt

If i buy the intercooled kit will it come with the piping for the intercooler? (just making sure..)
and a two or three core would work fine? three is more efficent i am assuming..therefore it's better?
Yeah it will. More cores = more efficient, a two core will do just fine, a three core will be even better. The physical size of the cooler matters too, but the ones that come with the kits will do just fine. That $200 one on ebay I was talking about was only 18" across. [&:]
Old 12-04-2006, 09:25 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Yeah 10 psi is 10 psi but it'll make different power. The centrifugal blowers take less to drive at the higher RPM's so at the same 10 psi you'll see a little more peak power, the twin screw will give you more power everywhere else though because you see full boost so low.

If i buy the intercooled kit will it come with the piping for the intercooler? (just making sure..)
and a two or three core would work fine? three is more efficent i am assuming..therefore it's better?
Yeah it will. More cores = more efficient, a two core will do just fine, a three core will be even better. The physical size of the cooler matters too, but the ones that come with the kits will do just fine. That $200 one on ebay I was talking about was only 18" across. [&:]
I plan on getting a centrifugal one, so it won't be as hard getting traction at lower rpm's, won't effect gas as much will it cuz of boost not starting till 3k or so? and they're cheaper lol. but what should the intercooler be across?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:29 PM
sweet2kstang
1st Gear Member

all centrifugals are not alike and not all will produce same power at same boost. some are more efficiant than others, some have issues with power drop off, none of them will act the same as the other,etc. the impellers on them are all set up a little different, in return will change the way they will act, how power is poured on, when & where peak is,etc. kits are designed to work for specific applications and to peice one together you will actually be lucky to make one for the same price. IMO procharger is the only way to go if going centri. but do your homework and do what you want not what everyone else says you need
Old 12-04-2006, 09:31 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

actually paxton is made by vortech if im not mistaken... paxton (novi 2000) is just better priced, but about equivilent to a T-trim
Old 12-04-2006, 09:32 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet2kstang

all centrifugals are not alike and not all will produce same power at same boost. some are more efficiant than others, some have issues with power drop off, none of them will act the same as the other,etc. the impellers on them are all set up a little different, in return will change the way they will act, how power is poured on, when & where peak is,etc. kits are designed to work for specific applications and to peice one together you will actually be lucky to make one for the same price. IMO procharger is the only way to go if going centri. but do your homework and do what you want not what everyone else says you need
Yeah, i'm just trying to get the basics as of what i should be looking for and what not for now..
Old 12-04-2006, 09:35 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bransdaman78

actually paxton is made by vortech if im not mistaken... paxton (novi 2000) is just better priced, but about equivilent to a T-trim
I was looking at a website and it said "paxton vortech ford mustang,...novi2000" This is why i asked about it. I have heard good things about them both so i guess it doesn't matter lol. ATI i'm impressed with, except they are expenisve!....."you get what you pay for" i guess..
Old 12-04-2006, 09:36 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Ok me the centri man time to chime in. You buy a procharger, you get the intercooler and all the piping for hookup all in one package. Most if not every other SC company uou have to buy the piping and intercooler seperately which end up costing more. Procharger is realiable and runs great, with a nice little whine. My recommendation is Procharger P-1SC. for a starter basic model.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:39 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang2000

Ok me the centri man time to chime in. You buy a procharger, you get the intercooler and all the piping for hookup all in one package. Most if not every other SC company uou have to buy the piping and intercooler seperately which end up costing more. Procharger is realiable and runs great, with a nice little whine. My recommendation is Procharger P-1SC. for a starter basic model.
To get more boost you swap pullies and get another tune right? (if i get my bottom end forged that is..)
Old 12-04-2006, 09:42 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet2kstang

The only difference in performance is when boost is made on the centri's and what the actual peak is for each head unit unless you start getting into motors revving well over 7k and producing well over 800+hp. For 99% of the people one centri will not do anything different for you than another. You cannot tell me 10psi at the same RPM from one centri is any different than 10PSI from another centri or that it is going to produce any more gains. The only other difference is the parasitic loss from being belt driven (meaning a turbo car will produce slightly more hp since its almost not parasitic..). Different blowers props take different amounts of power to turn, but that should be minimal at best, something you would never be able to tell on a dyno since no 2 runs EVER make the same exact numbers.

Your definatly right about the kits though.. by the time you frankenstein a kit together its oging ot cost about the same.. then add in the fabrication and tweaking your going to end up spending more.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:47 PM
sweet2kstang
1st Gear Member

ive seen & raced centri cars and dont do a non-intercooled kit if you dont want to be disappointed. with what i have i can pull a 6psi (non-intercooled) vortech or paxton mustang. the intercooling is a must for best power, engine life, safety. the procharger is self contained, very efficient, manatory intercooled, etc. i could go on and on but thats my vote. look up the superchargers and see what they are all about and i will almost bet you if people knew more about them that more would have gone with a procharger.

Quick Reply: Supercharger ?'s...