4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger ?'s...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:58 PM
sweet2kstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger ?'s...

i am not saying that there will be a huge difference, im just saying that each will have their own characteristic at the same rpm's including power. example, p1sc - novi 1000 both are the entry level, intercooled 8-10 psi, same car will make good power but from what i have done and seen the p1sc has been stronger for a longer rpm range. the power that is put into the motor is getting fed the same but the setup is not. its like trying to compare a stage 2 comp cam and a stage 2 VT cam. both give great power but where and how the power comes on will be different from car to car.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:17 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

I will tell you , I have my new dyno sheet and my P1SC with a 3.6" pulley running around 9psi is pulling good all the way through the powerband from about 2k to 6000k.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:36 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang2000

I will tell you , I have my new dyno sheet and my P1SC with a 3.6" pulley running around 9psi is pulling good all the way through the powerband from about 2k to 6000k.
I dont doubt that one bit. Procharger is the way to go if you want to one stop shop.. the fact that they all come with the intercooling pipeing and stuff makes it really convinent, but htey do run a bit more pricey. Hell, mine isnt even intercooled, just the meth/water injection kit.. same effect different method. Would love to have IC + the snow kit.

I make boost from around 2500rpms, full boost around 3800-4k, and it stays pegged at 10psi till I shift. Could easily have it tuned for more power since its actualy tuned emissions legal for NY right now.. but I dont want to push my stock block/transmission anymore than it already is.

my thing is a lot of people are HUGE fanboys of one manufacturer or another.. but when you ask them to explain why one unit makes x hp at 10psi, but the unit they like makes sooo much more than that at 10psi with the same cooling method and RPM range (even people who dont have them), they cant.. because its mathmatically impossible if everything on the motor, tune, cooling, and the PSI is the same.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:42 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HaV

ORIGINAL: stang2000

I dont doubt that one bit. Procharger is the way to go if you want to one stop shop.. the fact that they all come with the intercooling pipeing and stuff makes it really convinent, but htey do run a bit more pricey. Hell, mine isnt even intercooled, just the meth/water injection kit.. same effect different method. Would love to have IC + the snow kit.

I make boost from around 2500rpms, full boost around 3800-4k, and it stays pegged at 10psi till I shift. Could easily have it tuned for more power since its actualy tuned emissions legal for NY right now.. but I dont want to push my stock block/transmission anymore than it already is.

my thing is a lot of people are HUGE fanboys of one manufacturer or another.. but when you ask them to explain why one unit makes x hp at 10psi, but the unit they like makes sooo much more than that at 10psi with the same cooling method and RPM range (even people who dont have them), they cant.. because its mathmatically impossible if everything on the motor, tune, cooling, and the PSI is the same.
So your set-up with the meth/water injection works the same way as an intercooler would? What's a "snow kit?" And did your injection thing you have cost much more'n come with the vortech kit? (Could you explain how it works?)
Old 12-04-2006, 10:55 PM
sweet2kstang
1st Gear Member

its about moving the volume of air at x amount of psi. you are right, the "math" is all there. if 2 superchargers are pushing the same boost it is the one pushing more volume that will make more power. i am not wanting to start an argument, nor am i trying to have a bias opinion. but it takes more than psi to make power. the larger the volume and how efficient it is at moving it will show in the numbers. sure a p1sc,novi 1000, or what ever your preference may be can make 10 psi but what is the volume?,how efficient are they at that volume?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:56 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Its a Snow Performance kit (the people who make it). They arent that expensive, around 400 or so and they are easy to use.
Its a little pump controler that works off my boost level. You can get a more expensive one that will run off of other sensors, but mine is tied in to boost (infact my boost gauge is T'd off of it as well). Its adjustable to its spray rate and it sprays any time I am making over 2psi of boost.

These kits arent what you think when you hear methonal injection. It acutaly uses windshield wiper fluid. The little bit of methonal in it (have to use -20 or better fluid) will burn under compression acting as a mild octane boost (which helps with a boosted motor) and the mix of hte water/meth is much cooler than the compressed air temp coming off the charger. It keeps the air temps way down and also helps keep the cylander cool. It basicaly acts the same way as an intercooler but with a very mild octane boost. Works great on NA cars or boosted since you can run more timing/boost w/o detonation.

It did not come with the vortech and you have to tune with it. It was actualy on the car when I bought it (bought someone else project.. which is now my project.. gotta love having a great base to start from [8D]) Its definatly something you would want dynotuned.. it would be a good idea to do it at the same time as a charger/turbo/etc.

Here, I'll throw a pic up with it. I circled hte pump in red (you can see the excess tubing for the boost gauge tied into it as well there), and the location where it sprays into my air intake in blue. I love the thing for the cost and effect it has. Some people hear meth injection and think along the lines of nitrous.. its really more of a cooling factor + octane boost where nitrous really just aids the rate your current fuel burns a LOT making its combustion more powerful. A meth kit will not blow your motor.. However it will KEEP your motor from blowing.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:04 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet2kstang

its about moving the volume of air at x amount of psi. you are right, the "math" is all there. if 2 superchargers are pushing the same boost it is the one pushing more volume that will make more power. i am not wanting to start an argument, nor am i trying to have a bias opinion. but it takes more than psi to make power. the larger the volume and how efficient it is at moving it will show in the numbers. sure a p1sc,novi 1000, or what ever your preference may be can make 10 psi but what is the volume?,how efficient are they at that volume?
The airflow for all the entry level chargers are very very similar. Like I said before, its not untill you have a need to move up to a higher unit than intro level (where you either rev beyond the head units capabilitys, meaning a power drop due to the unit not putting out the volume necessary to sustain the boost level/hp, or just flat out not enough output for your needs)... wich I doubt 99% of the people on this site will ever reach either of those on their stang... I know im about 10k in motor and transmission work before I would even approach a point where it made a difference. Lol, Im really not trying to argue.. You know what your talking about and so do I.. but some people really honestly have no clue at all the differences in head units or how boost is made or how it actualy works in their motor.. Lol, kinda like on my local forums people arguing about gear ratios when none of them have any idea wtf changing your ring and pinion actualy does [&:]
Old 12-04-2006, 11:11 PM
sweet2kstang
1st Gear Member

at least we have an understanding to each other. i know what you are trying to get across and i am just getting my point across of why and how. youre right about how they are the same in most aspects but there will alway be a difference even if its just a small amount. as far as a bias opinion i am a little stuck on the ati for the centri setup but i also respect everyone elses opinion on their favorites and why it is.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:40 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

So your snow performance kit (injection) works just as well as an intercooler, but cheaper basically? I like the way that works, and sounds ALOT less complicated to install..
Old 12-04-2006, 11:46 PM
sweet2kstang
1st Gear Member

kits will have an intercooler if plan on running more than 6psi. you will have to make sure if run more than 6psi w/o intercooler that the injection system has enough to keep system cool. otherwise you will push the limits on the bottom end.

Quick Reply: Supercharger ?'s...