4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger ?'s...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:21 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger ?'s...

Well, within the next couple of months I will be looking into buying a supercharger for my 01 gt. I don't know much about them, i've been doing alot of reading about them, but wanted to get some info from ppl who have them. I'm estimating it will be around 3500 for the kit. I've been looking at the Novi 2000 8psi. Would it be cheaper to buy everything in the kit seperately on ebay or something? What all is in a kit? is the reverse revolution better? like the 1000 has a 1000rr... Is Paxton the same as Vortech? Sorry i don't know much about them, and am trying to get as much information as i can before i do something stupid. I've been searching the forums and google for information....But still want to get info from ppl who have them or know about them better than me (which is basically everyone lol.)

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:23 PM
orangedrp007
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger ?'s...

people post good things about kenne belle on here.....wish i had the cash for one or two.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

First, Vortech and Paxton are two different companies

Next, I personally would get a kit that is designed for your specific car. You can save some money buy you may have to fab some stuff w/ ebay kits. If money is a big issue, I would find a used one then.

Remember that there is some more to it, than just the kit. You will need to tune it. Some kits come w/ a computer chip while others do not. I personally would dyno tune it to get the best results. Good luck
Old 12-04-2006, 08:42 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Uh, we've got centrifugal zealots around here... just letting you know before they come and chime in.

For a supercharger, it'll be easiest to just buy a complete kit... when piecing one together, the amount you'll save is minimal, these kits are much simpler than turbo kits.

What's included? Depends on the kit, but you can expect:
Supercharger, piping, bracketry, hardware, serpentine belt, fuel injectors, spark plugs, fuel pump or other solution (read: boost-a-pump), and an intercooler.

Reverse revolution is not better, but may be required, depending on which way the blower mounts. All it has is the supercharger spinning in the opposite direction... if you spin the blower backwards it's not going to move any air. I think the stangs require the RR blowers, the RR designation is paxton-specific though, so e-mail them and ask about it. Paxton, Vortech, and ProCharger all make centrifugal superchargers that are nearly identical.

With a centrifugal supercharger you'll reach full boost at redline. With a positive displacement blower (roots/twin screw... Kenne Bell makes twin screw blowers) you'll see full boost MUCH lower, in the area of 2500 RPM and you'll keep that full boost all the way to redline and beyond. Ford has put nothing but positive displacement blowers on their cars that actually have blowers with good reason.

Outside of that, spend the extra for an intercooler. Yes you can run the blower without an intercooler but you're only playing with fire. It's not worth risking detonation and needing a new $2000 short block, when an intercooler is much less.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:51 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

I havn't seen many intercooled kits, are they alot more? I will get one of those, i don't wanna blow the motor, i wanna do this the right way, and i will get it dynotuned, just gotta find a dyno somewhere....lol intercoolers make it so it gives oil to the blower and doesn't take away from the oil in the motor?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:01 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

No, there ARE oil intercoolers, but when you say intercooler your generally talking a air intercooler which exposes the boost from the supercharger to a bunch of fins that pull a good amount of the heat out of it to make cooler boost...most centrifugal supercharger systems use a tap from your oil pan to oil the supercharger
Procharger however comes with an intercooler with most systems and has a "self contained oiling system" which requires no oil tap talked about above...and i must say im pleased with the performance
Old 12-04-2006, 09:03 PM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

I been savin for a procharger kit for my 03 stang, take a look at there web site, and have them send u some free info, thats what i did to help make up my mind of what supercharger ill be buying in the near future. Plus one sweet thing about them is there self contained. Heres there website, apply for the free info there.

http://www.procharger.com/index.html
Old 12-04-2006, 09:06 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

An intercooler cools the air that the supercharger compresses. When you compress air, it gets hot, and the intercooler looks just like your radiator, and serves the same purpose, the compressed air flows through it and it becomes cooled back down to normal temperatures. On average, you can expect to pay $1000 more for an intercooled kit vs a basic kit. With the intercooled kit you need to accomodate for extra piping to and from the intercooler, and the mounting of the cooler.

You can find single port, single core intercoolers on ebay for $200 but they'll be too small and not effective enough to cool the mass of air the 4.6 uses, they're more designed for low displacement engines... larger engine needs a larger intercooler. Even then, you'll need piping to reach the intercooler and then back to the throttle body. The piping is always the trickiest.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:14 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Uh, we've got centrifugal zealots around here... just letting you know before they come and chime in.

For a supercharger, it'll be easiest to just buy a complete kit... when piecing one together, the amount you'll save is minimal, these kits are much simpler than turbo kits.

What's included? Depends on the kit, but you can expect:
Supercharger, piping, bracketry, hardware, serpentine belt, fuel injectors, spark plugs, fuel pump or other solution (read: boost-a-pump), and an intercooler.

Reverse revolution is not better, but may be required, depending on which way the blower mounts. All it has is the supercharger spinning in the opposite direction... if you spin the blower backwards it's not going to move any air. I think the stangs require the RR blowers, the RR designation is paxton-specific though, so e-mail them and ask about it. Paxton, Vortech, and ProCharger all make centrifugal superchargers that are nearly identical.

With a centrifugal supercharger you'll reach full boost at redline. With a positive displacement blower (roots/twin screw... Kenne Bell makes twin screw blowers) you'll see full boost MUCH lower, in the area of 2500 RPM and you'll keep that full boost all the way to redline and beyond. Ford has put nothing but positive displacement blowers on their cars that actually have blowers with good reason.

Outside of that, spend the extra for an intercooler. Yes you can run the blower without an intercooler but you're only playing with fire. It's not worth risking detonation and needing a new $2000 short block, when an intercooler is much less.
Thats not completely true.. you dont see full boost "at redline"... I see it well before then, but it does not make boost as early in the range. A centri setup is definatly cheaper than a roots or screw setup and you can acheve the same hp goals with either.. both have plus's and minus's. After driving both, I prefer the centri.. It makes getting off the line (or driving around town in less then optimal conditions) much easier since your not inboost immediatly.

Anyways, paxton and vortech are a LOT alike. All centri's will act the same. Only minor differences.. I dont know about paxton, but procharger is a self contained oiling unit where vortech taps your oil pan and runs off that. All centri's will produce the same hp lvl at the same boost (simple physics).

Its up to you on what you get. You pay mostly for the warranty/name when shoping different chargers. Just pay attentionto the maximum what ever head unit you purchase can make if that may be an issue later on.

Either way.. you slap on a roots/twin screw/ centri/ turbo/etc, it makes almost no difference to the bottom line in terms of the numbers you can make and the times you will run in the 1/4 mile on a stock block/internals. 8-10 psi intercooled or meth/water injected is 8-10psi, regardless of where its coming from.. it all just depends on where you want to make it and what other supporting mods you do.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:16 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

If i buy the intercooled kit will it come with the piping for the intercooler? (just making sure..)
and a two or three core would work fine? three is more efficent i am assuming..therefore it's better?

Quick Reply: Supercharger ?'s...