4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sub-Frame Connector Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 02:53 AM
hammerdown99
2nd Gear Member

Default Sub-Frame Connector Question

Hey guys, im looking to buy some sub-frame connectors for my mustang and I just wanted some second opinions before I bought anything. There are several different ones, like steeda and such but there are some on ebay that seem nice. Im not really one to go the cheap way out on my stang but I was thinking how much different they were and that the ones from ebay would be the same. Should I buy the steeda ones or go ahead and get the ones off of ebay? Blue Oval Industries is the dealer for them. Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:17 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Sub-Frame Connector Question

I got the blue oval industries ones.

They are fine build quailty, but they were a BIT of a PITA to install.

The steeda ones look like (from the pics anyway) they are prebent. What you have to do with the BOI ones is weld the back on, put the nuts on the bolts that are sticking out of the bottom of the car, tighten them, and then use a jack to press the front of the connector to the front frame of the car, and then weld them.

its not that big of a deal, the just don't come with enough prebend to fit without a small amount of massaging. Other than that, unless you are looking at adjustable ones there is no difference.

I am happy with mine. The car feels much stiffer and doesn't want to pull just one corner up nearly as much as it used to.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

The steeda ones look like (from the pics anyway) they are prebent. What you have to do with the BOI ones is weld the back on, put the nuts on the bolts that are sticking out of the bottom of the car, tighten them, and then use a jack to press the front of the connector to the front frame of the car, and then weld them.

its not that big of a deal, the just don't come with enough prebend to fit without a small amount of massaging. Other than that, unless you are looking at adjustable ones there is no difference.
"Use a jack to press them into place"?????
I have the Steeda SFC's and chose them over MM's because there was less welding involved.They fit perfectly with NO bending.I would think that having to bend SFC's into position would pre-load the frame and could cause alignment problems.
I would get the pre-bent variety.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:29 PM
hammerdown99
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm, so how do I konw which ones are pre-bent or not? They kinda all look the same to me
Old 12-05-2006, 01:16 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

"Use a jack to press them into place"?????
I have the Steeda SFC's and chose them over MM's because there was less welding involved.They fit perfectly with NO bending.I would think that having to bend SFC's into position would pre-load the frame and could cause alignment problems.
I would get the pre-bent variety.
It doesn't load the frame signifcantly enough to do anything. At least I have not had any problems, and I can definatly tell a difference between before and after. The car does not twist as much and the small creak I had under hard accleration is gone.

I did it with the suspension loaded, and there just isn't any way that a 1.5" or whatever the size is square tube is gonna bend or flex the frame.

You will not have any performance problems with the non pre bent ones is what I am saying.