4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MAJOR Exhaust Problem...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:25 AM
PntyDrpr

Default MAJOR Exhaust Problem...HELP!!!

Well boys, I am sad to report a problem with my 2000 GT. Cruising this forum you guys seem to have a ton of knowledge about mustangs and hope you guys can help me out.

PROBLEM:

Two days ago, I noticed that my car was not running to its fullest potential. Upon start-up she would idle really rough, and 85% of the time stall. Once i get on the road, I noticed that my SLPs were not sounding right at all...whenever I would accelarate there was no response, like it was mis-firing badly. So i look for exhaust leaks and what not and find nothing. Today, on my way home the problem arises again. This time I stall at every light and my exhaust does not sound good at all; almost like its clogged. When it does idle, its really rough like shaking my brains around. As I am driving, my "service engine soon" light keeps flashing at me and I smell this gaseous smell coming from my exhaust, also with no throttle response.

I have no clue as to where to begin looking...any help boys would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:28 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: MAJOR Exhaust Problem...HELP!!!

info on your exhaust setup/did you lower your stang?
Old 12-06-2006, 05:37 AM
PntyDrpr

My exhaust set-up is just the SLP Loudmouth I catback system, stock mid-pipe and stock headers; and my stang is not lowered.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:43 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: PntyDrpr

My exhaust set-up is just the SLP Loudmouth I catback system, stock mid-pipe and stock headers; and my stang is not lowered.
miles, etc??? Need DETAILS on the car.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:45 AM
tjd8456

Do have cats? If so they maybe pluged
Old 12-06-2006, 05:47 AM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

When was the last time you changed your spark plugs?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

Well boys, I am sad to report a problem with my 2000 GT. Cruising this forum you guys seem to have a ton of knowledge about mustangs and hope you guys can help me out.

PROBLEM:

Two days ago, I noticed that my car was not running to its fullest potential. Upon start-up she would idle really rough, and 85% of the time stall. Once i get on the road, I noticed that my SLPs were not sounding right at all...whenever I would accelarate there was no response, like it was mis-firing badly. So i look for exhaust leaks and what not and find nothing. Today, on my way home the problem arises again. This time I stall at every light and my exhaust does not sound good at all; almost like its clogged. When it does idle, its really rough like shaking my brains around. As I am driving, my "service engine soon" light keeps flashing at me and I smell this gaseous smell coming from my exhaust, also with no throttle response.

I have no clue as to where to begin looking...any help boys would be greatly appreciated!!!
A flashing check engine light usually indicates a misfire
Old 12-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Js 99 GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fizzics Boy

PROBLEM:

A flashing check engine light usually indicates a misfire
Not usually, it COULD indicate a misfire, but not USUALLY.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

i know that it doesnt always mean it, but if its flashing something is seriously wrong though.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

ummm... how about just checking the code? it sounds like a bad mis but get the code pulled and post it up

Quick Reply: MAJOR Exhaust Problem...HELP!!!