4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2002 8.8 Rear convert to 4 lug

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 08:42 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2002 8.8 Rear convert to 4 lug

ORIGINAL: RiveraAnt

The reason I am doing this is simple...So please...NO HATERS!!!!

I was told that the 8.8 was one of the best high power capable rear ends out there. I agree. Parts are available everywhere and the possibilities are endless.

I can get this rear end cheap, and I will have to modify it for leaf springs since it is going into my turbo powered RWD rice burner. I would like to keep driving it on the street and continue to use my factory original 4 lug rims.
oh in that case downgrading to 4 lug is no problem since you won't make enough TQ to need the 5 lug [8D]
just messing with you...
Old 12-07-2006, 10:05 PM
RiveraAnt

So, does anybody have any usefull input so I can get this done?

Also, a few more questions:

What is the stock width of the 2002 8.8?

What is the minimum rim diameter that can be used on the 2002 axle?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:28 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

I was told that the 8.8 was one of the best high power capable rear ends out there. I agree. Parts are available everywhere and the possibilities are endless.

I can get this rear end cheap, and I will have to modify it for leaf springs since it is going into my turbo powered RWD rice burner. I would like to keep driving it on the street and continue to use my factory original 4 lug rims.
So the 4 lug is not going on your mustang right? Check out MPS (mustang parts specialties I think). Its a huge mustang salvage company that will more than likely have the rear end your looking for. If you have the tools and the know how you shouldn't have any problem making this work. Or Just look for an old fox (87-93) rearend that already has the 4 lug pattern in it. They will be plenty strong for your application.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:41 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

Dude, people are just trying to understang your reasoning. Its like saying, "Can a 3.8 V6 be swapped in for my 4.6 v8?"
Old 12-08-2006, 03:26 AM
RiveraAnt

And the answer to the engine swap question is ultimately....Yes.

It can be done and this is how....

This is the answer that I am looking for.

Here's another question for the same setup: Would the rear disc setup from the T-Bird fit on the 2002 diff? Are there any parts that will swap over such as the discs themselves? That way all I would need is to narrow the rear end, swap axles, and put T-Bird disc brakes.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:36 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

And the answer to the engine swap question is ultimately....Yes.

It can be done and this is how....

This is the answer that I am looking for.

Here's another question for the same setup: Would the rear disc setup from the T-Bird fit on the 2002 diff? Are there any parts that will swap over such as the discs themselves? That way all I would need is to narrow the rear end, swap axles, and put T-Bird disc brakes.
Dude, why are you doing all of this? Maybe if you give us all a logical explanation, we will better understand. Do you want certain wheels that only come in 4 lug? Why do you want Tbird brakes? We need an explanation as to why you are putting a weaker rear axlel set up, and now, weaker rear brakes? Just keep your 5 lug axels and upgrade to cobra brakes. It is pointless to put all this weaker equipment on your stang.

Is this your first mustang? There are many knowledgeable people on this board and I would reccommend taking their advice.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:41 AM
RiveraAnt

I posted this earlier.....

Old 12-08-2006, 03:46 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

Okay, well this makes alot more sense. You weren't being sarcastic when you said that you drove a rice burner. You needed to establish that fact when you made your first post. the 4 lug axles should be fine for your application then.

You are putting leaf springs on the the rear end of a ricer?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:51 AM
RiveraAnt

I apologize for not being clear, however why I decide to go that route is irrelevant.

The question still stands...

I know I can shorten the diff.

I know I can shorten the axles.

Can I use the T-Bird discs for an easy swap, or will they not fit? Or will anything else fit?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:56 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

I apologize for not being clear, however why I decide to go that route is irrelevant.

The question still stands...

I know I can shorten the diff.

I know I can shorten the axles.

Can I use the T-Bird discs for an easy swap, or will they not fit? Or will anything else fit?
We thought you had a stang, that is why we wanted to know. I would imagine you could use the T bird disk and calipurs given that your wheels have enough clearance.

Quick Reply: 2002 8.8 Rear convert to 4 lug