4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Goin Turbo, Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Goin Turbo, Suggestions?

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

You've got the Automatic numbers for 2g's i think... and you are right about the 9-10 psi if they have taken out the restricter from the BCS... Stock GSX is 205
90 Manuals where rated at 190. Then after 91-94 they were rated at 195. The automatics were rated at 180 hp since they had the smaller 13g and the 390cc injectors as opposed to the 450s in the manuals.

In the second generation the autos where rated at 205 and I believe 219 tq. Then manuals were at 210hp and 214tq but they had the same turbo this time around. 300hp is possible with a 14b but not on stock fuel. Well ok back on topic lol.

I never got why people can't piece together their own turbo kits for this car since they do it for other cars. 16Gs, 1st gen BOVs, Ebay FMIC, bigger injectors, fuel pump, and buy/make some exhaust manifolds. I think it's possible.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Where are you getting these numbers from cause there way off from what I've got.. Thats what I am trying to do, all the parts are their on ebay and the DSM sites just waiting to be bought cheaply.

thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

Where are you getting these numbers from cause there way off from what I've got..
Edmunds, Wikipedia, any of those sorts of websites.

Check out the VFAQ
Old 12-10-2006, 02:15 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

You cant make the same boost levels with a 4cyl turbo as you can on an 8. Lots more room to compress. Using dsm turbos really is a terrible idea. BTW, have you actually got under there and realized whats involved in a 'home' turbo kit. Theres literally no room to do anything. Unless you have a mandrel bender along with lots of other stuff you'll never beable to get it right.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Yeah, I live on those sites... these cars are great little winter beaters and it still is faster than my mustang!

I've been pricing the components I would need and if I buy used or cheap I am figuring it will cost me more in SS tubing and bending than it will for the parts needed...
Old 12-10-2006, 02:18 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

if you don't think it will never get done because of all that, why are you wasting people's time right now? forgive me, but 95% of the people on this forum that say they're going to blow or turbo their car never do it. usually it's the same story too. "wait until (insert season here) and i'm putting in my (insert forced induction here)."
Old 12-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

BTW im entertaining the idea of a home made setup cause i don't have 6G's to put on a pre fab turbo kit

Old 12-10-2006, 02:20 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

btw, you shouldn't cut corners and do a cheap half assed job when it comes to forced induction on your vehicle. you'll regret it later.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

You cant make the same boost levels with a 4cyl turbo as you can on an 8. Lots more room to compress. Using dsm turbos really is a terrible idea. BTW, have you actually got under there and realized whats involved in a 'home' turbo kit. Theres literally no room to do anything. Unless you have a mandrel bender along with lots of other stuff you'll never beable to get it right.
That is true right there. These cars have zero room under the hood for anything. Maybe if you placed them a bit more to the rear like where the stock cats used to sit. Nanaki is true though there are 30 posts a day about S/C or Turbos but nobody ever gets anything. Kind of like those kids in high school that talk about blah and blah.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Sorry you as a Mod has to see so many "poopy posts" about "if" posts or "wait tills" but I'm just trying to get advice and your still being synical. I'm sorry that I don't perfect gramatics to show you that I'm not some 19yo punk that wants to "blow this" and "Race That". I'm just trying to build the best car for ME and do it with some extra change in my pocket at the end of the day!

Since I bought this car I have been pleased with the looks but totaly disapointed when it comes to performance.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Goin Turbo, Suggestions?