4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Goin Turbo, Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Goin Turbo, Suggestions?

ORIGINAL: nanaki

btw, you shouldn't cut corners and do a cheap half assed job when it comes to forced induction on your vehicle. you'll regret it later.
Agreed, I don't want to sacrafice quality just cost... I guess all I mean is if there is a way too, I want to try it...

thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 02:27 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

The toughest thing you're going to encounter is the pipe-work. Your choice of turbo is probably the least of your worries. You're looking at:

$300 ea for turbos, probably a little more
$600-750 for a quality intercooler
Misc amt for wastegates, blow-off valves, MAF, injectors, fuel pump, spark plugs, etc etc
A few hundred for unbent 2" and 3" pipe (or add extra for a bunch of elbows and various 30/45 degree bends etc) Edit: Use the 2" pipe to go from the turbo to the intercooler, and 3" after that, smaller pipe will make it a much easier fit, if slightly more restrictive. It's up to you in the end.
K-member, coil-over conversion

You'll need a welder and welding skill, you'll need to fabricate some headers that vent the exhaust to the front instead of the back (I've heard of people turning the exhaust manifolds upside down and switching sides? If this works it'll be perfect, because they are compact and will put the exhaust exit right where you want it.) You're going to need a solution to the EGR system, and your PCV and the hose to your IAC (I'm not sure if it likes seeing boost, it's part of a system always designed to deal with vacuum). The passenger side system will be a tight fit because of the A/C equipment. You should probably expect your car to be out of the running for a couple of weeks while you develop a kit and get more parts as you need them.

If you have to buy EVERYTHING new, already have the tools, and don't have any parts that don't fit and end up being spare, this can probably be pulled off for just under $3500-4000. Just know you're going to have to be good enough at welding to weld an air-tight seal between the end of two pipes.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I have a club member, Dan has pretty much the "wickedest" stang I've seen. Forged 5.4 TT. He lives in lansing and has a custom home fab'd set up. I don't want to share his mods cause I don't know if he likes people sharing his specs but he did take Ford Shorties Cut them flipped them and then worked great. His car is freakin crazy... He bought a brand new new edge saleen ripped the motor out and started in on it... Now I would never want this but it gives us somethin to drool over when ever we see him. thanks for the help

oh and as far as a welder, im not but, I am a fabricator. Welders grind cause their not proud of their work... Fabricators Create, and never grind unless it's in the prep! lol
Old 12-10-2006, 02:38 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

BTW im entertaining the idea of a home made setup cause i don't have 6G's to put on a pre fab turbo kit

Exactly why I dont think it will ever happen. You're going to spend so much extra little money on headaches. There is a lot of experimentation that goes on. Go take your kmember off and put it back on again, then think about how much room there is and all the piping that needs to happen. Bends are going to have to be within .5 inch on each side and everthing will have to meet perfectly; there can be no guestomation.

Just go buy a used s/c kit and save yourself a headache. When i graduate my car is gonna be turbo'ed. It only has a year left before it goes under the knife, i'm going to have 5-6months to fab a huge turbo kit up and I still dont know if I want to do it or buy a pre-fab one. If you think you're just gonna slap this together you are dead wrong. It's a lot easier to fab up a 4cyl turbo kit than a v8.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:40 PM
stang_life

make sure you upgrade your engine to the correct specifications or your going to blow your head gasket every other day
Old 12-10-2006, 02:41 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

I have a club member, Dan has pretty much the "wickedest" stang I've seen. Forged 5.4 TT. He lives in lansing and has a custom home fab'd set up. I don't want to share his mods cause I don't know if he likes people sharing his specs but he did take Ford Shorties Cut them flipped them and then worked great. His car is freakin crazy... He bought a brand new new edge saleen ripped the motor out and started in on it... Now I would never want this but it gives us somethin to drool over when ever we see him. thanks for the help

oh and as far as a welder, im not but, I am a fabricator. Welders grind cause their not proud of their work... Fabricators Create, and never grind unless it's in the prep! lol
lol Sounds like you got it, then. I forgot you'll need a way to bend the pipe, if you've got access to a mandrel bending machine then great, a regular one will work but the flow will continue to get worse. Some boost is better than no boost though And you can always replace the normally-bent pipe with mandrel bent at a later date since you already have all the piping in place and laid out.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I never thought it would be an easy project by any means. I'm not doing this any time soon but I still need imputt from you all so I really know what Im getting into. I think of it this way, if I wait until I start pulling things off to ask people questions then I'm stupid, cause I wont be prepared. Someone earlier said that questions like these are just waiting time or posts or something like that, well if ask questions about "expensive or difficult mods" ahead of time people get flamed. Well I'd rather take a lashing from a synical Mod then be unprepared when I do start the job.

I think it comes down to "some" people want to see instant gratification in stead of long term success. If I had a bunch of parts on my floor and posted pretty pictures of overly priced mods then some people would be more apt to put every advice they can out there. Cause it's easy to give advice when you can recieve tangable credit for something...
thanks for the help.

these posts are not a waist of time, They help...
Old 12-10-2006, 03:19 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

The thing is i've been on this forum for like 2.5/3 years... i've seen thousands of posts about going turbo. I've yet to see on completed on this board.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:37 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Do any companies make kits that only contain the piping? Like, you can buy their piping kit but you have to the turbos, intercooler, BOV, etc. yourself?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:40 PM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for the wonderful input stang life !!!!

Quick Reply: Goin Turbo, Suggestions?