4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Worn Syncros.... or Worn Clutch....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:21 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Worn Syncros.... or Worn Clutch....

when i installed my mgw i had a similar problem. it felt like i was grinding almost every shift cause it felt like i needed another inch of pedal travel to disengage. so i got a MM quadrant and firewall adjuster and it helped.

but i still think that this was a band-aid where stitches were needed. i have a feeling the synchros will go out eventually
Old 12-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Js 99 GT
2nd Gear Member

Just curious, are you talking about it going into first while you are sitting at a light or something?? Cause first doesnt have synchros, or at least the old T5's didnt. I usually put the tranny in second to line up the gears, then into first, usually goes in without a problem. But if i just push in the clutch and try to put it in first, sometimes it doesnt want to go.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:33 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

kewl. I'll change the fluid today and see what the results are like.
DO NOT TOUCH THE FLUID!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:50 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

why not touch the fluid?? also... let me know how things go. i have 50k on my 03 stock clutch. and i get some engagment issues. not bad but they come once in a while.. im goin in for a warranty check up. let meknow if u figure anythuin out
Old 12-12-2006, 09:21 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Yes.. by all means why not change the fluid?? Do you not change the fluid in your tranny? It is recomended BY FORD that the transmision fluid be REPLACED every 30,000 miles! Should we NOT go by Fords recomandations? Please enliten us as to WHY you think we should not change the fluid!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:06 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

I had a similar problem. Everyone on this forum told me it was the synchros, but turns out it was a bad diaphram on the clutch. Good luck, and I used Royal Purple tranny fluid for the clutch installation, which might have helped.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:53 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

I like the guys post who recommended he change the fluid because he had a similar problem, so he changed the fluid, then the sound went away for 2 days until he blew his synchros. I once changed the fluid in my trans and it blew a week later. This is the type of **** that happens.

Something about the clutch particles breaking off in the fluid are good for it. We had a post on this a few days ago and a trans guy chimed in and explained it in detail.

Here is the post. Scroll down a bit and there's a post buy some guy who was a tranny mech.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:09 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Oh jeeeze..... I think I've just gotten more and more confused.............[&:]
Old 12-13-2006, 01:25 AM
tehzack
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikev08826

I like the guys post who recommended he change the fluid because he had a similar problem, so he changed the fluid, then the sound went away for 2 days until he blew his synchros. I once changed the fluid in my trans and it blew a week later. This is the type of **** that happens.

Something about the clutch particles breaking off in the fluid are good for it. We had a post on this a few days ago and a trans guy chimed in and explained it in detail.

Here is the post. Scroll down a bit and there's a post buy some guy who was a tranny mech.
You can't get clutch material into the fluid of a manual transmission man. That guy was referring to an automatic. As far as replacing the transmission fluid... after 54k I would imagine it couldn't hurt. The guys on Horsepower TV put royal purple in the engine/transmission/differential in their '98 LS1 project and gained 8rwhp.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:30 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Immmma get my new Spec 2 Clutch first.......... See how it all goes out...... and if it doesn't make a difference I'll put in some royal purple. I'll also ask the guys over at THR. Have them drive my car as see what they say. Transmission subjects are touchy and not alot of people know about it.

Quick Reply: Worn Syncros.... or Worn Clutch....