4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Worn Syncros.... or Worn Clutch....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:18 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Default Worn Syncros.... or Worn Clutch....

Welll I've done had my baby for about a week now.... and yall know after a year long in Iraq you gotta break her in just right to make up for all that lost time lol. Well I don't powershift so to speak, and I'm always particularly careful with shifting even fast, but today even with the clutch depressed all the way, its hard for me to get her to shift. Like the stick just doesn't want to go into gear like I'm not even pressing the clutch. It happens with any gear but mostly first. And sometimes I notice even with shifting, she grinds alittle in the gears even with the clutch all the way down. I'm suspecting clutch problem because the car is 45,000 miles old and she's never had her clutch changed out. But then again we all know how bad those 3650 transmissions are. What do yall think?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Worn Syncros.... or Worn Clutch....

hmm mine did that, so i changed the tranny fluid to royal purple and it went away. then i took it to the track 2 days later and broke the synchronizers. I would change the tranny fluid first then it may be ur trans
Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Don't touch the tranny fluid.

I think the problem with the 3650 was the TOB. idk anything bout your trans though, sry.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:16 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Dang...... so No One thinks its the clutch plate wearing away and not fully engaging?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:23 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

u know what man...funny u said that. I took my car to the tranny shop and had a mechanic drive it and he said "WTF IS UP WITH YOUR CLUTCH MAN...it feels like im doing a leg press to put it in" then when he went to shift to 3rd it did what you described and he said that my pressure plates may have become unsprung. so i will be getting a clutch soon
Old 12-11-2006, 10:39 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

I know..... I really don't want to change my Tranny to TKO or a stronger 6speed until I've completly killed my 3650. Its been said that they are capable of handeling a little over 500 lbs of tq. As long as you take care of it and don't power shift. I just ordered my Spec 2 Clutch and Flywheel. Plus my MGW...... I really don't wanna change all that unless my tranny is literally falling outta my car lol.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:02 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Well... if the car revs up while your driving it and it is in gear than it is the clutch... but with only 45000 miles on it your clutch should be fine unless you drive like a maniac! I have over 54000 miles on my car and i am still on the originall clutch, and I by no means drive like a grandma! My tranny grinds a bit once in a blue moon in 3rd if I am shifting fast, also the only gear I ever miss. You mentioned that you just came back after a year... has the car been sitting that long?" You might want to replace the fluid like someone else said... 45k its about that time! unfortunatley, Im not sure it would be the clutch if the only symptoms are not going in gear! Syncro's seem far more likely to me! Usually when a clutch goes out it just goes... slipping, chattering when ya put it in, etc. I would change the fluid and go from there...

Old 12-12-2006, 09:08 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Old 12-12-2006, 09:11 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Yea man, if your car has been sitting up for a year that's your problem. I bought a tranny that had not been used in a year or so one time. It was hard to shift and grinded every gear for like a week before the syncro's freed up. After that it worked just fine.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:47 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

kewl. I'll change the fluid today and see what the results are like.

Quick Reply: Worn Syncros.... or Worn Clutch....