4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone used the TYPHOON INTAKE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:05 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone used the TYPHOON INTAKE?

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

"This manifold has been chassis dyno proven to produce 21.5 more rear wheel hp than a stock manifold at 6,500 rpm. More torque from 4,000 rpm on up."--Blue Oval Industries

I don't think those numbers are worth the money. I suppose if you were running 6500 rpm's all day long it might be worth it.

JMO

There my friend is where a forged stroker kit, heads and cams come in quite handy.

So what does it say about 6000 rpm? 5500? Just think of it like this. A TB/Plenum combo runs what ? 375-400? And the intake+combo is 700? Worth it all day long. 300 for an intake thats not plastic is worth it. Hp gain or NOT!!!!!!!

Tell yah what. I'll take a stock GT and $700 bucks and you take a stock GT and that fancy intake manifold/tb/plenum thing-a-ma-jig.
Deal. And you go buy $700 worth of engine mods(installed) and see who gains more HP and a hell of a prettier engine bay. Ready? GO

Installed? Why, Is the guy going to sell the intake with free installation? I'll take my $700 and buy a CAI and LT's, on a stock GT and you have a race.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:12 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

"This manifold has been chassis dyno proven to produce 21.5 more rear wheel hp than a stock manifold at 6,500 rpm. More torque from 4,000 rpm on up."--Blue Oval Industries

I don't think those numbers are worth the money. I suppose if you were running 6500 rpm's all day long it might be worth it.

JMO

There my friend is where a forged stroker kit, heads and cams come in quite handy.

So what does it say about 6000 rpm? 5500? Just think of it like this. A TB/Plenum combo runs what ? 375-400? And the intake+combo is 700? Worth it all day long. 300 for an intake thats not plastic is worth it. Hp gain or NOT!!!!!!!

Tell yah what. I'll take a stock GT and $700 bucks and you take a stock GT and that fancy intake manifold/tb/plenum thing-a-ma-jig.
Deal. And you go buy $700 worth of engine mods(installed) and see who gains more HP and a hell of a prettier engine bay. Ready? GO

Installed? Why, Is the guy going to sell the intake with free installation? I'll take my $700 and buy a CAI and LT's, and you have a race.
Intake install is like 3rd grade material there bro. ITs bolts, gaskets, etc.... LT's on the other hand are not (expensive install). So lets say with the install money of the LT's you could get the intake P&P, fair enough? So ill give you the benefit of the doubt and we can go LT's AND CAI(worthless w/o other intake mods)vs. Intake, TB and plenum(which could easily be installed in 2hours in a garage with basic tools) and YOU have a race.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:20 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

JMO

Installed? Why, Is the guy going to sell the intake with free installation? I'll take my $700 and buy a CAI and LT's, and you have a race.
Intake install is like 3rd grade material there bro. ITs bolts, gaskets, etc.... LT's on the other hand are not (expensive install). So lets say with the install money of the LT's you could get the intake P&P, fair enough? So ill give you the benefit of the doubt and we can go LT's AND CAI(worthless w/o other intake mods)vs. Intake, TB and plenum(which could easily be installed in 2hours in a garage with basic tools) and YOU have a race.

You are missing the point my friend. That intake manifold only makes power over the factory intake well above the rpm range of a stock GT short block. The point that I am trying to make is $700 spent on a performance upgrade that only adds power past the factory short blocks capabilities is not worth the money. Perhaps on a built modular that is F/I and can run in that rpm range , the $700 might be worth it it performance wise.

By the way "bro", if you can't install headers on a car, put the wrench down and walk away.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:25 AM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

cant we all just get along??? btw, the test on the typhoon that was done in 5.0 mag and everywhere that is selling it, was done on a built motor with f/i, sorry not trying to take sides
Old 12-12-2006, 02:28 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Earlier you said it produces 21.5 rwhp over stock at 6500RPM. Does it produce NOTHING at 5500? Thats almost impossible. I havnt seen the write-up.

I wasnt saying the Header install was impossible.I'd love to try it. But it is alot harder than intake stuff. But anyhoo, I like the intake stuff and you dont thats cool man. We got a little sidetracked.

YEAH BUY the intake and put it on a dyno before and after so we can see whats up!

And yea we can all get along. He's got a good point.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:32 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Earlier you said it produces 21.5 rwhp over stock at 6500RPM. Does it produce NOTHING at 5500? Thats almost impossible.
I wasnt saying the Header install was impossible.I'd love to try it. But it is alot harder than intake stuff. But anyhoo, I like the intake stuff and you dont thats cool man. We got a little sidetracked.

YEAH BUY the intake and put it on a dyno before and after so we can see whats up!
I didn't say that bro, the seller of the intake did.

I'd be curious to see dyno results of it as well. Like ZW99GT said, it would look good.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:32 AM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

as previously stated its far better than the plastic pos. i dont think anyone on here would turn it down would they, i know i wouldnt................ im sure there is still some gain on a stock motor.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:34 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Earlier you said it produces 21.5 rwhp over stock at 6500RPM. Does it produce NOTHING at 5500? Thats almost impossible.

I didn't say that bro, the seller of the intake did.

I'd be curious to see dyno results of it as well. Like ZW99GT said, it would look good.
My bad, that what I meant. Damnit why am I still on Mustang forums at 12:34? I have a Physics 231 (electricity and magnetism) Final at 8am!!!!!! NOOOOOOO I hate my life.

P.S. this is what one looks like! ITs kinda hard to see. lol

[IMG]local://upfiles/10124/E3130E555E5045EA957DD82DB88AECEE.jpg[/IMG]
Damnit thats way too small. ****. Nevermind.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:37 AM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

lol, i have psych at 11 ^^

and depending on whether or not my friend's shop classes dyno gets fixed, i might be able to give yall a before/after dyno sometime after springbreak.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:45 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rjgstang

as previously stated its far better than the plastic pos. i dont think anyone on here would turn it down would they, i know i wouldnt................ im sure there is still some gain on a stock motor.
The original "plastic pos" that came on the mid 2000 and earlier 4.6's were exactly that. Plastic POS's. Ford figured it out and made the coolant cross over piece aluminum. There is nothing wrong with the modern day plastic intake manifold.

I personally would only look into upgrading my intake manifold on a 2V if I were going to forced induction and I had a forged lower end to support high rpms. It's not like the old days where swapping out the constrictive factory intake manifold would net you gains in the lower rpm range. Today's cars roll off the factory with manifolds that our Grand Dad's dreamt of. Yes the intake manifold on a stock GT is plastic. But it flows just fine for a streetable car at any HP level.

You guys need to just stop arguing and go to sleep.

Quick Reply: Anyone used the TYPHOON INTAKE?