4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Deal or NO DEAL?????? Help me choose

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:24 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default Deal or NO DEAL?????? Help me choose

OK, so Saturday is the big day. A couple of you guys have already heard my plans.

Im going to pick up a 1999 GT. Red(my first color choice) 5spd w/ leather. Carfax came back clean. I will have compression check done for sure! The price on it is $11.5k.The body has 94k miles. This engine work has less than 2k on it. But this isnt your average new edge. Its suspension mods away from bottom 12's on motor. For real. And the Plate kit will put it to mid 11's.

I know that mods do not add to the price of a car per say, but I would rather have this one than a nice stock 99 for $8000. ya know?

So, would you buy this car if its in good condition, or save 3,500 and try to find a Stocker? I dont have any extra money to get a stocker anywhere near the power of this car, so thats why im leaning towards snatching this one.

Mods, and other parts included

5.1L stroker KIT w/
4340 Forged 3.75" stroke crank shaft
Manly H Beams
.030 Over Probe Forged Pistons with a 10.5 cc dish
Perfect Circle Rings that have been file fitted for nitrous.

Patriot Stage 3 heads
Comp Cams 550/550 Lift 234/238 Duration @ .5 Lift
typhoon Intake P&P to match heads
Full exhaust(with BBK LT o/r X and Magnaflow catback)
36lb injectors
GMS mass air
75mm TB
Pro 5.0 shifter
Sacs Clutch
FRPP 4.10's
Tuner
D/R's
A lovely NX plate kit with all the bells and whistles
Old 12-13-2006, 02:29 AM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Deal or NO DEAL?????? Help me choose

do you have any hp/tq numbers from it? i guess i would by it but i would want to be able to mod it some myself instead of buying a built car
Old 12-13-2006, 02:30 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

I would jump all over that if its in good condition. If you bought a stocker you definately wouldn't get all those mods it has already on it for 3500 bucks. Go for it.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

If everything is good and you aren't buying someone's "project" car I would go for it. Saves you a lot of work
Old 12-13-2006, 02:34 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: M1ke

do you have any hp/tq numbers from it? i guess i would by it but i would want to be able to mod it some myself instead of buying a built car
I know exactly what you mean mike. I have already owned a new edge GT, and I LOVED modding it. It was awesome. I am in college now and just done have the funds. No way. The only way im gonna have a fast stang is buy one already built. Thats just how its gotta be until I get out of college. I just as much of a GEAR HEAD as anyone here,and Its my dream to build a 12/11 sec NA 2v, but I just dont have the time or money right now. This will give me some experience I can use later when I build my own.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:37 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Know that I saw the car last year in may, and it already had the stroker etc kit in it.

Also know that this is definatly not a daily driver.

I beileve the guy was saying it made somewhere in the 320 WHP range but I cannot remeber.

One last thing, you are probably gonna need a retune. I don't know anyone from around the lake etc that is acutally capable of tuning this car correctly, but he could have it done. I would definatly be getting a a/f check etc.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:49 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

NO doubt. I will have it on a dyno for a nice SCT tune within a week of buying it(Dynospeed Racing Memphis, Tennessee). He said the engine was built in Oct 05. He said it was driven almost none the following winter, and a weekend car in spring to fall 06. Its already been stored for the winter. 2k miles may be a stretch.

2000GT4.6, do you say that it was not a DD, b/c he said so, or b/c you think it was incapable of being a DD? I'm not gonna drive it to Alaska or anything, but I's gonna have a 6hr trip home. Any indication it wont make it? lol.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:52 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Like I said, realise you will NOT want to drive this car as a daily driver.

It's going to get ****ty MPG, and things are going to break if your driving it every day. The stroker kits are not exactly the most reknown for being reliable in the first place.

Put it this way, this car isn't going to be anything like your old GT with a couple boltons. I would never want to drive my car as a DD now with the cams + blower + heavy clutch.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:00 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

i voted for deal.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:10 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Like I said, realise you will NOT want to drive this car as a daily driver.

It's going to get ****ty MPG, and things are going to break if your driving it every day. The stroker kits are not exactly the most reknown for being reliable in the first place.

Put it this way, this car isn't going to be anything like your old GT with a couple boltons. I would never want to drive my car as a DD now with the cams + blower + heavy clutch.
What kinda ****ty MPG are we talking here? 18's? 13's? 7's? lol. Ouch. Im gonna need at least 15's when im takin it easy. Its gotta make it on a 300 mile trip 3, 4 times a year. No DEAL? lol

What kind of stuff is vunerable to breaking? I need to read up on this stuff ASAP! It sounds like you are saying NO DEAL. I respect your opinion just as much as anyone on this board, and if you would please let me know where you get this info from(person, website etc.), You may be saving me alot of heartache, and I appreciate your input.

Quick Reply: Deal or NO DEAL?????? Help me choose