4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

air fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:11 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default air fuel gauge

hey guys do I need the wideband 02 gauge or does the regular air/fuel work?

also If i have to get a wideband... any suggestions as to where to get one - they seem pricey - thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: air fuel gauge

I've always heard the the widebands are the only way to go. All the ricers I've seen have the regular air/fuel light gauge and all that thing does is go back and forth from green to red. It's crazy because I didn't know a car could go from rich to lean during idle[&:]
Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

haha... well i dont want to buy something thats no good
Old 12-14-2006, 11:56 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

bump - I need to know this one
Old 12-15-2006, 12:20 AM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

dont **** around with the regular narrowband gauge.... go big or go home on this subject

http://www.turbogoods.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=39

this is what u need the lc-1. if u just want something to check and not the permanent gauge get the lm-1 handheld from brenspeed. thats what I'm using now and it works excellent, it is 329 on their site, but the 375 is about the cheapest ive seen the gauge combo anywhere
Old 12-15-2006, 12:58 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

I found a wideband kit for 250. I guess I just wanted to know for sure that the regular narrow band isnt "good enough"... the dng wideband site says you can do you own dyno tuning with the wideband and a hand held... i have access to a dyno just to roll on
Old 12-15-2006, 05:51 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

BRUMP!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:50 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

keeps going to the other page... does anybody here with FI use narrow band?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:28 PM
jmmorgan82
3rd Gear Member

I've heard that AEM makes a pretty good wideband kit thats very reasonably priced
Old 12-15-2006, 09:52 PM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Air/Fuel Gauge

The A/F gauge will measure the air to fuel ratio that is being burned in your combustion chamber, or in other words how lean or rich you are running. The air/fuel ratio is the ratio of Air to Fuel drawn into the cylinder. The optimum ratio of Air to Fuel is about 13.5-pounds or air to 1-pound fuel.

There are Narrowband and Wideband Air/Fuel gauges available. A Narrowband does not provide the precise Air/Fuel reading needed for tuning. The Narrowband will meter the output of voltage from the vehicles oxygen sensor through LED lights.

Narrowband Air/Fuel Gauge
The Narrowband Oxygen Sensor cannot indicate what exactly the A/F ratio is in the rich or lean areas due to the fact that oxygen sensor output changes with temperature and wear. When the oxygen sensor temperature increases the voltage output will decrease in the rich area, and it will increase in the lean area

Wideband Air/Fuel Gauge
A Wideband Air/Fuel gauge is better suited for tuning. These gauges will provide an accurate reading of the Air/Fuel ratio. The wideband sensor provides a signal that’s virtually proportional to the amount of oxygen that is in the exhaust stream.
A wideband Air/Fuel gauge is by far one of the best investments tools you can have when dealing with tuning. This will allow you to have a full accurate reading of your Air/Fuel mixture. If your Air/Fuel ratio is lean, you can blow your engine. This gauge will help you achieve accurate readings so that you will have the proper Air/Fuel levels so you can enjoy peak performance with engine longevity. Click here for all Air/Fuel and wideband gauges.

Quick Reply: air fuel gauge