4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ford: No way we'll make four-door Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 06:32 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

Default Ford: No way we'll make four-door Mustang

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/12/15/...dan/index.html

now put the debate to rest. no mustang wagon.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:35 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Ford: No way we'll make four-door Mustang

G*d D*mn it! Another thread about this! [:@] But it is nice to know Ford isnt starting the shovel too much crap to the public. But they pretty much did by not making the new 05+ Mustang GT 400hp or atleast 350.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:56 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I find it amusing Autoweek and CNN think the Mustang's chassis is its first incarnation. Basing new cars on the Mustang's chassis. Why not just say the truth? It'd be based on a Lincoln chassis. Sounds better, IMO.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:04 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

I've always wanted to build a Mustang limo. I think it'd be sweet to have one, I'm sure somebody is welding together something somewhere. But yeah, if I could take a Mustang limo to prom, or a wedding some day that would be awesome.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:13 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

mustang wagon shiz canned
Old 12-16-2006, 03:16 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben790450

G*d D*mn it! Another thread about this! [:@] But it is nice to know Ford isnt starting the shovel too much crap to the public. But they pretty much did by not making the new 05+ Mustang GT 400hp or atleast 350.
There is no reason to do this.

Ford already has a high horsepower mustang.. the GT500.

The biggest mistake GM made was building the Z28 and SS virtually identical and having, for the time, a load of horsepower. Horsepower does NOT sell cars.

The reason the mustang is still around is because of the styling and the power tier system. The styling gets middle aged women and men that don't care about performance (and younger people with less money) to buy the majority of the cars produced... the V6 model.

The GT offers a reasonably priced car with a good level of performance and a rumbling V8... and the GT500 offers all out performance and styling within a still reasonable budget.

Now look what you get with the F-body cars... Frankly its a ****ty *** car with a great engine in the V8... but what do you get with the V6? A ****ty car. And THATS what killed the Fbody.

Ford doesn't have much figured out correctly, but the tier system with different pricing a horsepower levels is one thing they have definatly done well. Sure, everybody concered with performance wants more power... but you don't want to pay 40K for a base V8 either. If you want a GT making 400 horsepower we might as well just start calling it a corvette and drop the v6.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:40 AM
Steve04GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: ben790450

There is no reason to do this.

Ford already has a high horsepower mustang.. the GT500.

The biggest mistake GM made was building the Z28 and SS virtually identical and having, for the time, a load of horsepower. Horsepower does NOT sell cars.

The reason the mustang is still around is because of the styling and the power tier system. The styling gets middle aged women and men that don't care about performance (and younger people with less money) to buy the majority of the cars produced... the V6 model.

The GT offers a reasonably priced car with a good level of performance and a rumbling V8... and the GT500 offers all out performance and styling within a still reasonable budget.

Now look what you get with the F-body cars... Frankly its a ****ty *** car with a great engine in the V8... but what do you get with the V6? A ****ty car. And THATS what killed the Fbody.

Ford doesn't have much figured out correctly, but the tier system with different pricing a horsepower levels is one thing they have definatly done well. Sure, everybody concered with performance wants more power... but you don't want to pay 40K for a base V8 either. If you want a GT making 400 horsepower we might as well just start calling it a corvette and drop the v6.

Wow that was said just perfect I was thinking rougly the same thing.

The camaro use to have this then GM tried to make a fast car but it looked ugly this is why the mustang is still in production and the camaro is not they had to discontinue it to bring it back in 2007 why? it needed a makeover it had the perfomance but it did not have the styling there is proof right there. Any newer style camaro LS1 up to when they stopped makin them in 2002 will out run full bolt on GT's with stock parts jus about and with some header work hah we can't touch em till we go F/I jus about.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:38 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

And what does the restyling resemble...hmm an 05+ mustang with hints of Corvette and a few Camaro designs in it. Basically their just stealing Ford's design I think. In my opinion, Dodge is gonna have one killer car. The Challenger not only looks classic and very retro, I think Dodge has pretty good quality cars (excluding a few of the low end models), it also retains the 2 door and boasts a nice big engine (dunno size for sure, I forget 6.0 or greater I believe). I couldn't tell ya what Ford will roll out in, but as for now, the Dodge Challenger has probably the best looking design concept, and as far as I know soon to be production car.

As far as the 4 door Mustang, noone in the Mustang community will really want one. Ford already ticked owners off a couple times, with '93 attempting to quit production of the stang for 94, and then even going so far as to replace it with a front wheel drive, aka the Probe. Basically, Ford is holding onto Mustangs as their big @$$ saver, especially with the next gen. muscle car wars. They won't attemp anything stupid, simply roll out with a design everyones always loved, or at least a new design based on old favorites. Any changes as drastic as a 4 door version is too risky, might not sell well and could potentially ruin the Mustang to what the Camaro has become...the past. What Ford will probably do is something that happened in 99. They'll make a restyling of 05 to current models, that will be significant changes, but overall very much the same. With what's left in the budget or whatever, will be put toward the engine. They'll have v6 and v8 models. I don't look for any thing bigger than a V8, and probably continue with a 4.6 maybe. But they'll look into higher HP numbers in GT models, to make sure the performance enthusiast isn't beat by the other companies. And of course, prices will be competitive as well. But, obviously I think the whole 4 door question was already answered long before it was even asked.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

The switch to FWD for the Mustang was attempted for the '87 model year, which ultimately resulted in the Probe. The '94 was never under fire as the enthusiasts had already spoken by that time. And, Ford led out with a much better concept with the Mach III.

ORIGINAL: dastangman

And what does the restyling resemble...hmm an 05+ mustang with hints of Corvette and a few Camaro designs in it. Basically their just stealing Ford's design I think. In my opinion, Dodge is gonna have one killer car. The Challenger not only looks classic and very retro, I think Dodge has pretty good quality cars (excluding a few of the low end models), it also retains the 2 door and boasts a nice big engine (dunno size for sure, I forget 6.0 or greater I believe). I couldn't tell ya what Ford will roll out in, but as for now, the Dodge Challenger has probably the best looking design concept, and as far as I know soon to be production car.

As far as the 4 door Mustang, noone in the Mustang community will really want one. Ford already ticked owners off a couple times, with '93 attempting to quit production of the stang for 94, and then even going so far as to replace it with a front wheel drive, aka the Probe. Basically, Ford is holding onto Mustangs as their big @$$ saver, especially with the next gen. muscle car wars. They won't attemp anything stupid, simply roll out with a design everyones always loved, or at least a new design based on old favorites. Any changes as drastic as a 4 door version is too risky, might not sell well and could potentially ruin the Mustang to what the Camaro has become...the past. What Ford will probably do is something that happened in 99. They'll make a restyling of 05 to current models, that will be significant changes, but overall very much the same. With what's left in the budget or whatever, will be put toward the engine. They'll have v6 and v8 models. I don't look for any thing bigger than a V8, and probably continue with a 4.6 maybe. But they'll look into higher HP numbers in GT models, to make sure the performance enthusiast isn't beat by the other companies. And of course, prices will be competitive as well. But, obviously I think the whole 4 door question was already answered long before it was even asked.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:29 AM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dastangman

Mercedes is 100% to blame for new Chrysler vehicles good looks, performance and new reliability.

Quick Reply: Ford: No way we'll make four-door Mustang