4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

p-51

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:09 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Default RE: p-51

ORIGINAL: 04gtmatt

How do you no if the trick low will make #s? And itll be the same price as the p51 is now. The trick flow is a copy of the bullit but the bullit dosnt even make much power. And look at every one trying to copy the pi intake with a cast aluminum and losing power all over the band. Alll im saying is i doubt aftermarket compny will match the ford factory piece
The P51 is more money because you have to use their fuel rails...and the P51 doesn't make any more power then a Bullit Intake and doesn't always fit under the stock hood...its about 50/50 from what i've seen. Trick Flow started the 5.0 aftermarket boom and i have faith they will produce a solid piece for the 4.6 2V...
Old 12-17-2006, 04:12 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

ORIGINAL: 99GTvert

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

Skip the P-51 and hold out for the Trick Flow 2V intake...its a copy of the Bullit Intake but half the price and doesn't need any of the extra parts the bullit does...Should be released early spring.
half the price? holy **** you got a link or another reference?
magazine ad...

thanks for that info
Old 12-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Im assuming the throttle body just bolts onto the manifold? or does it still need a plenum?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:37 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

The P51 is more money because you have to use their fuel rails
Actually Fox Lake's website says the rails are not required and many other aftermarket rails fit it, so idk. For the Trick Flow you will also have to buy a new throttle body and air intake, which will be even more money. I do agree though that the Trick Flow will probably be a nice piece considering their work in the past with the 5.0's like you mentioned.

Im assuming the throttle body just bolts onto the manifold? or does it still need a plenum?
Both the P-51 and Trick Flow do not need plenums. The throttle body bolt's up to them, although the Trick Flow will require an oval throttle body unlike the stock ones. The P-51 uses the same shape throttle bodies as the stock plenum.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:06 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

The P51 is more money because you have to use their fuel rails
Actually Fox Lake's website says the rails are not required and many other aftermarket rails fit it, so idk. For the Trick Flow you will also have to buy a new throttle body and air intake, which will be even more money. I do agree though that the Trick Flow will probably be a nice piece considering their work in the past with the 5.0's like you mentioned.

Both the P-51 and Trick Flow do not need plenums. The throttle body bolt's up to them, although the Trick Flow will require an oval throttle body unlike the stock ones. The P-51 uses the same shape throttle bodies as the stock plenum.
everything I have seen says the trick flow will use the stock style t/b?

I thought that was the entire point? Direct bolt in?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:23 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

everything I have seen says the trick flow will use the stock style t/b?

I thought that was the entire point? Direct bolt in?
Since it's a bullit replica, I assumed it would need the oval TB. Also, the shape of the upper intake looks like it would take the oval over the stock style. No matter what though the throttle body is in a different place so you would still need a new air intake. Theres no way it could be a direct bolt-in on it's own. You may be talking about how you don't need some things of the like you do with bullit intake swaps, such as new fuel rails.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:06 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

The trick flow looks nice, i just hope they sell it in something other than that god awful color [:'(]
Old 12-17-2006, 10:27 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

What is the benefit of having that trickflow? Would I see gains over my 70mm TB and C&L plenum combo? If I wanted to get it would I have to get rid of my 70mm TB and get a new 75 mm to bolt up to that?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:19 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

What is the benefit of having that trickflow? Would I see gains over my 70mm TB and C&L plenum combo? If I wanted to get it would I have to get rid of my 70mm TB and get a new 75 mm to bolt up to that?
You will have to get a new throttle body like the bullits have (oval shaped). You need a 75 mm TB anyways, lol. As for benefits, if it is like the bullit, gains over your setup N/A probably won't be much, but F/I should pick up some. Trick Flow is a good company though that has a good reputation with the 5.0's and I personally think they will do good with this new intake. Best thing to do is wait and see in the spring which intake manifold's seems best. I wouldn't be surprised if the Trick Flow was better than the stock bullit either.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:06 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

intake manifolds on 2V GT's dont make sh*t for peak power. The real gain you see with an upgraded intake manifold is you make more power through the center. Thats why a bullitt can pull a Cobra. Ive read it and ive seen it. i think this manifold would be a good use of money on a 2V motor. "this manifold" being the trickflow or the bullitt

Quick Reply: p-51