4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:55 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Moving rear spoiler back on 99-00 Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:42 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default Moving rear spoiler back on 99-00 Mustangs

This EXCELLENT write up is presented by stang2000... Nice job.

Ok, I've moved the rear wing back. Here is a nice write up, with pictures and all for those of you wanting to do it. There are a couple ways to do it. You can move it back and reuse some of the holes, which require you to drill 2 holes, or you can move it back all the way which requires 3 holes on both sides. I choose to move it all the way back and drill 3 holes both sides. I've added measurements for the holes and where to drill as well. Install time may vary. You might have another person to help hold the wing in place. I did it myself, but could be easier with 2 people.
[hr]I will not be responsible for incorrect fitment and hole locations. These worked for me just fine. Check and double check all measurements before drilling any holes.
[hr]
Before Moving Wing

[hr]
Steps to moving your stock rear wing back on your 99-01 Mustang (does not apply to saleen or cobra wings)

Items needed:
10mm deep well socket
3/8” Drive Wratchet
tape measure
masking tape
punch(hammer for punch)
marker
drill
¼” drill bit
3/8” drill bit
7/16” drill bit
[hr]
Step 1: Pop trunk to get to bolts securing wing from underneath. You will find 2 bolts on either side.

Step 2: These nuts are 10mm. Be certain to hold wing, so you don't damage it or the trunk lid. Remove all 4 nuts from studs and pull wing up and away from trunk lid. You now see 6 holes in the trunk. The 2 bigger middle holes are alignment holes. Hence the reason why we have to drill 6 holes total. 4 mounting holes and 2 alignment holes.
(This is a good time to clean surface where wing was mounted and underside of wing that you can never get to very well when cleaning.)

Step 3: From upper corners of trunk lid, measure 7-1/2” and mark with a piece of masking tape. This ensures that tip of wing covers farthest hole. Measure from the upper corner again 10-5/8” for first hole ad ¾” from edge of trunk lid. For the second hole measure 17-3/8” from upper corner and ½” from edge of trunk lid.. This applies to both sides. You will measure for and mark alignment hole later.

Step 4: Notice: Remove trunk lid struts to avoid drilling into end of strut for back hole!
Use a tap to scratch the surface and punch through the clear coat and paint. This helps to keep the drill bit from moving around and scratching the trunk area up. After tapping, take another piece of masking tape and lay at an angle. This also helps to get the drill bit from moving around and ensure you’re drilling in the area marked out.

Step 5: Use small flat blade screw driver to pry locking tab out. This applies to both ends. After removing struts, you can proceed to drilling step 6.

Step 6: You may want to lay some towels around drill area along car to catch fiberglass pieces from drilling. Also place a piece of masking tape underneath where drill bit will come out to help elimante cracking the fiberglass. You can touch up with paint afterwards. Drill 4 (1/4”) holes at each designated marked spot. You can slightly woller these out some to help wing bolts slide in. They will be tight otherwise. Test fit before drilling alignment holes. Place wing into newly drilled holes and check for fitment.

Step 7: Measure 12-1/4” from upper corners and 13/16” from edge for both sides for alignment tab holes. (I used black paint and marked bottom of alignment tabs and placed wing on car and pressed tabs on trunk lid surface. You may choose this method or masking tape)

Step 8: Drill 1 (3/8”) hole at mark on drivers side. Drill 1 (7/16”) hole at mark on passengers side.

Step 9: Clean up holes and remove debris from drilling. Re-attach trunk lid struts. Clips just snap into place to hold strut.

Step 10: Place wing onto trunk lid, lift lid and re-attach nuts to bottom of lid. You might touch up bottom of holes with paint from drilling.

Finished Install

[hr]

Measurements may be able to be modified to your liking as well. You can subtract a 1/4" from each measurement from the corners if you don't want the wing tip so close to the upper hole. It's up to your own discretion.

Congratulations, you now have moved your wing back for the ultimate look and free mod.

Before and After

Old 07-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Rogeliod8
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Moving rear spoiler back on 99-00 Mustangs

Do you need to cover up any of the original holes? Or does the spoiler cover them?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:35 PM
1vryfststang
2nd Gear Member

I done it to mine to...love the new look! he done an excellent write up!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:46 PM
MadMax98GT

that looks nice. but it seems like alot of work for a barely noticable mod.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:54 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MadMax98GT

You must be pretty lazy if you think thats alot of work......and its way more than barely noticable.

Mods, why isnt this write up locked?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 PM
1vryfststang
2nd Gear Member

Barely noticeable?????????????????damn I get more compliments on my spoiler than nething haha like dude that looks good what is it???? People are like I love the way it overhangs off the trunk..And alot of work damnit son it took all of 30min to do it and that is doing it to a T right? shewww I would hate to see soemthing that did take alot of work...hell changing my oil is more work than that haha
Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MadMax98GT

Damn, you need to get your eyes checked!!

It only took me 30-45 minutes to do mine on my '99 GT, hardley alot of work.

Lynn
Old 07-11-2008, 03:50 AM
OUTLAW1969
2nd Gear Member

That looks GREAT!!!!

Very easy to follow write up, too.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 AM
1999 GT
3rd Gear Member

lol barely noticable?...when i moved mine back people thought i bought a wholenew wing
Old 07-13-2008, 07:33 PM
nails06

Agreed. I was at a party last night and we were standin around my car when someone asked me where I got my spoiler. LOL. Small mods sometimes make a great impression.

Quick Reply: Moving rear spoiler back on 99-00 Mustangs