4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

O2 SENSORS

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:13 PM
aubman

Default O2 SENSORS

If the O2 sensors are not functioning correctly could it have an adverse affect on gas mileage? I just installed a mac o/r x pipe, mac cat back, and cold air intake. Does the install of all these parts reduce gas mileage? It is noticeably lower than it used to be. Please advise!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:16 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default RE: O2 SENSORS

I vote yes.

I believe you can get the MIL eliminators or a tuner to turn off your rear O2 sensors.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:20 PM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

Which ones are you talking about, front or rear?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:25 PM
aubman

front
Old 12-18-2006, 03:27 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aubman

If the O2 sensors are not functioning correctly could it have an adverse affect on gas mileage? I just installed a mac o/r x pipe, mac cat back, and cold air intake. Does the install of all these parts reduce gas mileage? It is noticeably lower than it used to be. Please advise!

Well, I just used a tuner to turn off the rear 02's in mine so I don't know first hand but I have heard that it puts the car in a kind of safe mode of sorts by retarding the timing and things... but like I said that's just what I have heard.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:28 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

front
are you sure it's the front 02's that are giving you the problem.. with an offroad pipe.. it really only affects the rear
Old 12-18-2006, 04:19 PM
aubman

Well.....the only reason I say the front is because I bought another O2 sensor since the one on the drivers side front was not long enough and I spliced it as the directions said, it worked for about a week and then my check engine light came on. I suspect maybe the wiring came loose since the way the instructions said to splice it was pretty weird. Can I live with the engine light on and not suffer power and fuel wise or should I buy the eliminators to set everything right?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:26 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

Well.....the only reason I say the front is because I bought another O2 sensor since the one on the drivers side front was not long enough and I spliced it as the directions said, it worked for about a week and then my check engine light came on. I suspect maybe the wiring came loose since the way the instructions said to splice it was pretty weird. Can I live with the engine light on and not suffer power and fuel wise or should I buy the eliminators to set everything right?

well.. you still need to either turn off your rear 02's using a tuner or get mil eliminators.. because even if you spliced that front one correctly...leaving the rear 02's on without the eliminators will throw your cel on.. which is most likely what is happening right how.. as far as living with it on.. again.. as I said before I could be wrong but I have heard that the car will run rich and retards the timing. It shouldnt hurt anything per say but you should get it turned off.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:30 PM
aubman

Ill try the steedas then.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:45 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

Ill try the steedas then.

Yeah.. I would try some kind of mil eliminators and see if your cel goes off.. my thoughts are that it probably will... The only thing about mil eliminators is that they are iffy... they might work for a while then just crap out on ya.. I have heard good things about the steeda's so those are a good place to start... I personally had steeda's on and they died about 3 months later.. I was driving along and *bing* their goes the cel... but I knew that the eliminators probably died.. I ordered the predator and turned off the rear 02's and the cel turned right off.. and I havent had a problem since.. so I would say that mil eliminators are a good rather cheap solution but a more permanent solution would be a tuner.. Just keep that in mind in case you get the eliminators and some point down the road your cel comes on... it could be the mils failing.. just an fyi..

Quick Reply: O2 SENSORS