4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

shouldn't take this long or $. RIGHT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 06:12 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default shouldn't take this long or $. RIGHT?

well after christmas iwill have my SLP catback. and yesterday while having the nail taken out of my tire i headed over to the this exhaust place that i wanted to do my headers. i asked how much they would charge for them to do a catback because i am too lazy to do it myself and i want it done right since the only thing that i have done is intake, plenum, TB, MAF, shifter, and chip. LOL. he said whats it for, a honda? i had to hold myself from laughing and said no it's a mustang. he said it would probably take 2 hours to get it all done and lined up. i was kind of shocked, i mean they are stictlyan exhaust shop. i have heard some of the guys onhere that they did it themselves in about 45 min. he also said that it would be about 75-100 bucks and i also thought that was high put i guess it would go down since i don't think it will take 2 hours. what do you guys think about the whole thing?reasonable? he told me that all of this was site unseen so he could be way off, right?
Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Default RE: shouldn't take this long or $. RIGHT?

I dont think it would Take HALF that time. I havnt done my catback yett, but itsnt it like 4 bolts? and 2 hangers at the End? the X Pipe went on in like 10 mins.(thats with Lifting the car, and Heating the Xpipe to Bend it to FIt....) But Who knows :-)
Old 12-19-2006, 06:19 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

wow, i can do a mid pipe, and catback/tailpipe in an hour and a half with basic tools, and the only part that would keep me from getting it done quicker is the passenger side header bolts. with long tubes already on, i could probably do it in like 30 mins
Old 12-19-2006, 06:22 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

with a lift, sawzall, and a good set of tools, it would only take like an hour to do a catback.

you say you're taking it to a shop becuase you want it done right... but if you want things done right, you have to do it yourself. [8D]
Old 12-19-2006, 06:22 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

It took the shop about 45 minutes or so to put my catback on, once they got to my car in the first place. It wouldn't have been that long, but they had to move a couple of hangers and weld the pipes where they were cut over the axles (It was a used catback)

Maybe when they say about 2 hours, maybe that is accounting for taking the time to get started on your car in the first place.

The price sounds about average though, I paid $80.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Shops usually overestimate times to allow for issues that may occur. It's bad enough when something isn't going well, but whena customer comes in and starts bitching because their car isn't ready by the time they were given, it only makes it worse. Im sure it won't take them two hours to actually do it, but who knows what else they've got scheduled.

As for the cost, that sounds about right. I paid 100 bucks to have my exhaust installed the first time, second time I did it for free in my driveway.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:34 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

honestly, if you can't install a cat-back, you shouldn't be allowed to pop the hood of your car.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Tapeuup
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 97modifiedmustangGT

he said it would probably take 2 hours to get it all done and lined up. i was kind of shocked, i mean they are stictlyan exhaust shop. i have heard some of the guys onhere that they did it themselves in about 45 min.
45 mins to do it, hour and 15 mins to test drive it
Old 12-19-2006, 06:44 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Its not always an issue of can or can not...but having the tools on hand and place to work on your car. Apartment complexes, FTL...[:@]

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

honestly, if you can't install a cat-back, you shouldn't be allowed to pop the hood of your car.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:50 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

Its not always an issue of can or can not...but having the tools on hand and place to work on your car. Apartment complexes, FTL...[:@]

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

well then you just don't have the determination... I put on my midpipe and catback in my car port while my neighbors were on vacation.

Quick Reply: shouldn't take this long or $. RIGHT?