4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cheapest FI or can I do with out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cheapest FI or can I do with out?

If you are looking for cheap hp; NOTHING is going to beat going w/ nitrous.(not NOS) You can get a kit for 500ish and be up and running/ tuned and everything for about 800 more. That includes tuning, chip, and goodies. You will not get blown for 1300ish. That is the cheapest hp you will get. Nitrous is not cheating if they can go into boost.

If you get the blower, geta good dyno tune. THe canned tune will get you there but you want to stay out of boost the entire trip.

As far as running w/ the other cars, you should be fine in a race w/ either FI. Full boltons will give you some gains but you will not see the same hp/dollar that FI will get you. Good luck w/ whatever you get.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:13 PM
04gtmatt
2nd Gear Member

you have a stock car and your the fastest around? Br happy, were im at if you dont run 12s be prepared.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:23 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

pretty much the same here. every once in a while youll see an ls1, and maybe a cobra. most of the time its sixxers, srt-4's and ricers.
ORIGINAL: 04gtmatt

you have a stock car and your the fastest around? Br happy, were im at if you dont run 12s be prepared.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:30 PM
jmmorgan82
3rd Gear Member

Integra Type-R's run about a 15.2 stock, so you better take him.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:37 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

my girlfriends v6 will take a type R. i hope you can.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:48 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Whoa... bolts make a huge difference compared to stock ! but yes in the scheme of things bolt on GTs are still way slow haha, but the integra's got nothing for you, you will smoke him with ease... But nitrous is not the same as boost, as indicated... nitrous is much more violent and prone to problems then a s/c or something to that effect. The safest thing you can do is put a vortech on there, but power is addictive.. so you should pick something you can grow with. Nitrous is badass though, so you could run up to a 150 shot and then when she blows forge your motor and turn it up to 250 ... all methods have ups and downs, the biggest problem with n20 IMO is you run out of bottle too fast.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:43 PM
88gtboy
2nd Gear Member

I dont know whats going on here but I had a 94 GSR turboed with 2 stages of boost on a greddy controller. Allthat was done to the motor was a set of rods and pistons. AndA set ofhead studs.

at 10lbs I made 350WHP 257TQ and at 18LBS I made 425HP 315LBS torque. On pump gas. with a conserivitive t3/t04e .57 Trim. The engine could probally handle more but the problem was I made impressive numbers

Even With all this I could still only run 13s because I would spin everywhere. I even had coilovers and a Type R transmission with the factory LSD. Torque Steer was a bitch. To have made this car super impressive it would have needed a set of slicks and a REAL suspension.

I have a 96 cobra with all stock 4.10s And It almost feels like the car.Its not as fast on the interstate But in a real deal race it would have beaten it. All the integra was good for is Interstate pulls.

Ive had 2 s2000s and I loved them too, Great for track/road racing, and great looks But Not really a street racer/strip car.

I know this is a long post but I just wanted to tell you, IM 21, and Im manageing to do all this, and pay allot to live by myself in a apartment and have a garage here to work in.

The key is Is you got to ask yourself Is what Can I sacrifice? you can save the money in a year if youll just Cut out some un necessairy bills. Like for me the first to go is the Freaking lame *** cable, Lower the minutes on your cell phone and limit your calls to Night time, Put the car insurance in your dads name, Pick up some small mechanic work for friends, family. If you have anything worth money u dont need anymore, E bay that ****,

Sounds silly but dude youd be supprised how much if u can just cut some oif the fat off ur bills u can do what u want.

One think also, If u really want to do it sooner than later, U can always go to small banks, I went to citifinancial they Loaned me the entire sum for my turbo build on a unsecured loan, and the payment was like 110 month.

If theres a will theres a way my friend... Im about to boost my cobra, and Ill be takeing the same steps.

Remember BOOST IS BETTER.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bransdaman78

Whoa... bolts make a huge difference compared to stock ! but yes in the scheme of things bolt on GTs are still way slow haha, but the integra's got nothing for you, you will smoke him with ease... But nitrous is not the same as boost, as indicated... nitrous is much more violent and prone to problems then a s/c or something to that effect. The safest thing you can do is put a vortech on there, but power is addictive.. so you should pick something you can grow with. Nitrous is badass though, so you could run up to a 150 shot and then when she blows forge your motor and turn it up to 250 ... all methods have ups and downs, the biggest problem with n20 IMO is you run out of bottle too fast.
I wouldnt completely agree with everything there. First, I would go 125 at the most on a stock block w/ stock internals. After that you are on borrowed time. If it is forged, Yes, go up to 250 with a good tune.

Now, with nitrous. I will admit right off the bat that I spray. I am doing this until I can afford to turbocharge my car. I must say that I am slightly biased right now but in turn, I ACTUALLY have done this. Whether it be a turbo, blower, or nitrous, you are adding O2/power to the engine. Nitrous does this chemically, while the others physically cram oxygen into the engine. If you have the blower/ turbo, the power is always there. You will 'get on it' more and the blower is ALWAYS drag and wear on the engine whether you are in boost or not. The nitrous system is only making power when you are spraying. Other than that, it is a 'plain old car.' Your extra power is only there for a short time. This is of course good and bad but, I will not try to break that down right now.
As far as nitrous being worse for your engine. Second for second, it is debatable whether it is worse or not. I just respectfully submit that the time that the power adder is hard on the engine is MUCH less on nitrous since it is only there when you spray. A blower or turbo is working on the engine 24/7. The nitrous will be a HARD sudden hit if sprayed but, you can use a progressive controller to help combat this and the loss of traction as well. If someone were to use say, the holy Kenne Bell blower, the power would be instant too. I CAN believe that it is not as much but you are getting the same effect. I do not see where nitrous is more prone to problems in itself. Many people are misinformed about nitrous so that can lead to problems. In itself, I would say that it has the same peramiters as a blower/turbo(b/t). A tune is CRITICAl for either a b/t or nitrous. That will make or break your engine. They live and die by the tune.

That is my rant. hahahhaha Not to be an *** at all but, I just wanted to present the other side of the stor in the b/t vs nitrous discussion. Thanks
Old 12-26-2006, 08:16 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

well yes and you are right, but from my experience w/ n20 is that by the time you buy and tune it all, and fill it up everyday .. you could just go s/c. The nitrous however chemically has a different reaction inside the motor, now i know some people have run 125 shots for years with no problems, but I have just seen to many spun bearings and blown up intakes to go with n20 for my car right now... when I can afford to blow it and not care, then Ill do it... I mean its up in the air, s/c can go lean just as easily but I dont trust window switches, etc. i just talked to a guy whose WOT switch stuck on him and he had a bad day. Ive intalled nitrous and run it on others cars and trucks, but all i can tell you is what I would do.... and i dont trust n20. But n20 cars are faster... hands down
Old 12-26-2006, 10:24 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

ORIGINAL: jmmorgan82

Integra Type-R's run about a 15.2 stock, so you better take him.
Sorry to say but thats off. The older style 1992 Acura Integra GSR (relatively rare) is rated at a 15.4 quarter mile. The newer style is a 15.7 and the Type R's are rated at about 14.7 in the quarter mile.

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

my girlfriends v6 will take a type R. i hope you can.
Doubt it. Unless the V-6 is built. New Edge V-6's are rated at high 15's. Plus I am talking about a boosted Type R

Please do not flame, these times are all based on the driver obviously but these are times that were tested in the magazines. I hate to say it, but just because something is a 4 cylinder doesn't mean that it is slow. Most of the time yes, but not always.

Quick Reply: Cheapest FI or can I do with out?