4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cheapest FI or can I do with out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:30 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

Default Cheapest FI or can I do with out?

Hey guys,
I am only 19 and currently a student so I am only working part time. I am interested in boosting my GT. I am guessing some type of supercharger because I could not afford to turbo it. I currently have one of the fastest cars out of anyone along with my friends 1997 Camaro Z28 with an LT1. It is automatic though and he ended up running a 14.7 with it.

My other friend is looking towards an Integra Type R. Not a fake rice one, the real thing. Stock vs. Stock I could take the Type R but he is saying that is he going to boost it. I think that he is half serious. I am not sure if he knows how hard it will be to get a loan for a $14,000 car and then put thousands into it when you are only 18.

So basically, I need boost. What is the cheapest way to boost my car? I have about a year or year and a half to save up, but it will be very little per week. Also, would it be possible for me to take him while I am still N/A? I would much rather do this because I am a newb mechanic so a supercharger install may be hard for me. Any info would be great. I would love to stay N/A if possible but I will go with boost if I have to.

Thanks
Jmac
Old 12-26-2006, 10:42 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cheapest FI or can I do with out?

If you want to stay naturally aspirated but have a kick in the pants shot of acceleration from time to time find a 100-125 hp shot of nitrous oxide. It is defianately the best bang for the buck. But for starters since your young and unfamiliar with the 4.6l 2-valve, start with simple bolt ons firstthen research N20, superchargers, and turbo's. Start with gears (ratio of your choice I would go 4.10), exhaust (off-road or catted mid-pipe depending on emissions and a cat-back), and a short throw shifter. Assuming your car is a GT (windstar rims threw me off), you shouldn't have too hard of a time beating the "type R" integra in semi-stock trim, then again I'm assuming you can drive your car. For being on a tight budget go with the bolt-ons first and see what your car is doing and then consider the power-adders. Our 2-valve 4.6 gt's aren't super responsive to bolt-ons like our 4-valve (cobra, mach 1) brethren are but if you're just concerned with beating an integra the bolt ons will work. Plus, I wouldn't be too concerned with your buddies threats of a boosted integra either.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:03 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

I sort of want to avoid NOS if possible. I would like to be able to say that my car is street legal and beat it rather than not street legal. With full exhaust (shorties not longtubes), K&N Intake, 4.10 gears and a short shifter, do you think that I would even stand a chance against even a slightly boosted Type R. I don't think I would, but I am not really sure.

I want to do gears, but there are no speed shops or Mustang shops anywhere around me. They few places around quoted me for like $600-700 for the install.

O ya, I am only 19 and that seems young, but I am not an idiot driver. I tend to granny shift and not spin my tires at all. My friends with slower cars make fun of me because I drive so conservatively. I just say to myself, I don't have to show off my power, I know I can beat there high 15 second car. Plus I respect the stuff I work for. I am paying for full coverage and car payments for my 2000GT with 13,000 miles on it. Why should I kill my car? I have a friend with an $1000 1987 Firebird that absolutely beats the **** out of it. The thing is slow and he didn't work for any of it. Kids need to learn the value of stuff. <End of Rant>
Old 12-26-2006, 11:23 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

I sort of want to avoid NOS if possible. I would like to be able to say that my car is street legal and beat it rather than not street legal. With full exhaust (shorties not longtubes), K&N Intake, 4.10 gears and a short shifter, do you think that I would even stand a chance against even a slightly boosted Type R. I don't think I would, but I am not really sure.

I want to do gears, but there are no speed shops or Mustang shops anywhere around me. They few places around quoted me for like $600-700 for the install.

O ya, I am only 19 and that seems young, but I am not an idiot driver. I tend to granny shift and not spin my tires at all. My friends with slower cars make fun of me because I drive so conservatively. I just say to myself, I don't have to show off my power, I know I can beat there high 15 second car. Plus I respect the stuff I work for. I am paying for full coverage and car payments for my 2000GT with 13,000 miles on it. Why should I kill my car? I have a friend with an $1000 1987 Firebird that absolutely beats the **** out of it. The thing is slow and he didn't work for any of it. Kids need to learn the value of stuff. <End of Rant>
I wasn't implying that you were an idiot driver. I think you'd do fine with exhaust, gears, and shifter. Nitrous on a vehicle is no different than "boost" on a vehicle. I may not be legal to use on the street or have a full bottle in your car but you oughtta save it for the dragstrip anyway. It was just a suggestion considering you can get a n20 kit for 10% of what you'd spend on a blower or turbo and get the same result. The difference in power output is that the nitrous is consumable and goes away like gasoline does, boost is always there. If hooked up properly and given a proper tune a nitrous system is just as safe as any other modification.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:28 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

If you're interested in "boosting" your car checkout the vortech mongoose kits from www.modularpowerhouse.com. That'll be about the cheapest you'll find unless you search around ebay for a used kit. A couple of guys on here have bought used kits with success.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:34 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

I knew you weren't implying I was an idiot driver, I was just letting people know that so people wouldn't say "Don't get boost, you will total your car, get tickets, etc." I know NOS can be safe, but people around here or at least my friends don't consider it fair. This is obviously a debateable subject, but I just don't want to have to deal with people saying "You can only beat me with NOS."

I am not really worried about his Type R stock, just if boosted. We are not rivals, we are just friends that hang out every day and pretty much talk about cars. I just want to be at a compareable speed to him. We are the probably most level headed people out of all of our friends to be honest. Certain kids think that their high 15 second cars are really low 14's and stuff like that. We know what our cars can do and we know they aren't the fastest and we don't make brag about out cars being faster than other peoples.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:47 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

I knew you weren't implying I was an idiot driver, I was just letting people know that so people wouldn't say "Don't get boost, you will total your car, get tickets, etc." I know NOS can be safe, but people around here or at least my friends don't consider it fair. This is obviously a debateable subject, but I just don't want to have to deal with people saying "You can only beat me with NOS."

I am not really worried about his Type R stock, just if boosted. We are not rivals, we are just friends that hang out every day and pretty much talk about cars. I just want to be at a compareable speed to him. We are the probably most level headed people out of all of our friends to be honest. Certain kids think that their high 15 second cars are really low 14's and stuff like that. We know what our cars can do and we know they aren't the fastest and we don't make brag about out cars being faster than other peoples.
Well, They can only beat you with boost. There's your response to them. LOL! Your friends are to be considered "ricers" if they think a turbo is fair and nitrous isn't. Nitrous is only another family member of the power adders (turbo, S/C, and nitrous). Nothing more, nothing less. If you don't want to go with nitrous thats fine but use the info I'm giving you to school your buddies. All's fair in love and warmy man.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:56 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

haha ya that is true if they can only win with boost, then NOS is just as fair. Ok lets pretend for a second. In a 2000 GT with Shorty's, Catted H Pipe, Catback, K&N fipk, 4.10's and a shifter, What times should I be looking for with just those? What other things should I consider getting?
Old 12-26-2006, 12:24 PM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

haha ya that is true if they can only win with boost, then NOS is just as fair. Ok lets pretend for a second. In a 2000 GT with Shorty's, Catted H Pipe, Catback, K&N fipk, 4.10's and a shifter, What times should I be looking for with just those? What other things should I consider getting?
with those mods considering you can drive (you'll need drag radials unless you wanna spin all the way down the track) I'd say maybe high 13's. Unfortunately like I said before the 2v 4.6 isn't very sensitive to mods. You won't gain hardly a thing w/ shorty headers, maybe 5-10 hp with the catted H, and maybe another 5 with a catback. The K&N intake really isn't gonna give you a noticable gain either. Which is why nitrous is such a good bang for a buck. Instant horsepower! You'll probably be a little ahead of the integra R maybe right with him if he has a turbo. With traction and your mods and his mods + traction it'd prolly be a driver's race.

Other mods to consider would be under drive pulleys (if you stay N/A), An SCT or Diablo handheld tuner,I mentioned drag radials, some eibach or intrax springs (to take the 4x4 lift out).
Old 12-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

bolt ons really wont do all that much on a 2V GT. to really see some good gains you should probably get a power adder. you can see a decent gain with headers...but get long tubes if you get anything...shorties will only net you maybe 1/5 the power of longtubes...like 3whp as opposed 15ish.

ps...its nitrous...not NOS

Quick Reply: Cheapest FI or can I do with out?