4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

chrome vs polished

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 03:46 PM
A_LOU_THANG

Default chrome vs polished

you can call this a newb question. I'm looking to purchase some wheels and I want to know the difference between chrome and polished wheels. What are the pros and cons of each. I've noticed the the polished wheels are cheaper, but from the pictures on the web, they look exactly the same. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks..
Old 12-26-2006, 03:49 PM
jlw2387
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: chrome vs polished

If you can afford it, and keep up with the maintenance, get chrome. Polished wheels arent as flashy and have always seemed to be magnets for brake dust to me.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:58 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

chrome will shine longer and its easier to clean. GO CHROME
Old 12-26-2006, 04:28 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Chrome is harder to maintain, polished is cheaper and looks a lot a like, but without as much shine and it has a texture to it. If you live in a humid environment the chrome will peel really fast, same thing will happen if you live in a place where there is a bunch of snow, the salt will make the chrome peel. I get get the polished, it's cheaper and chrome is way over-done, just my .02.

Also, the polished will grow on you.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:32 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

ive had chrome rims before along with polished and the chrome always seemed so much easier to clean. take a wet rag and the chrome shined like brand new. not to argue with you or nothin but ive always had better experiences with chrome. another example is the tips on my car and my truck. the tips on my bronco arepolished and my car has chrome. the tips on my car take about 2 mins to clean. the tips on my truck take like 5-10 and they dont shine as well. they have a faded look to em.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:36 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

ive had chrome rims before along with polished and the chrome always seemed so much easier to clean. take a wet rag and the chrome shined like brand new. not to argue with you or nothin but ive always had better experiences with chrome. another example is the tips on my car and my truck. the tips on my bronco arepolished and my car has chrome. the tips on my car take about 2 mins to clean. the tips on my truck take like 5-10 and they dont shine as well. they have a faded look to em.
it depends on where you live....it's just chrome plated, i live in a really humid place, and i work at discount tire, about 70 percent of the aftermarket chrome wheels we put on end up coming back peeled and/or dusty as hell, samet thing with OEM wheels, ESPECIALLY toyota. it's all personal opinion
Old 12-26-2006, 04:37 PM
A_LOU_THANG

Looks like you made up my mind for me. Thanks for the info...
Old 12-26-2006, 04:39 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: A_LOU_THANG

Looks like you made up my mind for me. Thanks for the info...
hah nice, who made it up, JJ03MustangGT, or me?
Old 12-26-2006, 04:41 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

yea i guess so, im in the south. so its hot and humid. no snow, just heat. i had the chrome rims on my toyota
Old 12-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

chrome has a different look to it...a much better one IMO. polished also sounds like its amde of cheap plastic or something if u tap on it. i live in florida and have seen no issues with chrome peeling. go chrome or go home.

Quick Reply: chrome vs polished