4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1996 GT Performance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:08 AM
reevesracing
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 1996 GT Performance Issue

I tend to not trust how other people take care of their cars, so when I buy a used vehicle this is what I do to learn how well it was taken care of. You can learn ALOT about how well a car was cared for just by doing an oil change. This was the first time it took 3 flushes before I started getting clean oil.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:08 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: reevesracing

First thing I did when I bought the car was put 2 cans of seafoam in it and run the tank through just in case there was a stubborn injector or 2. Second thing I did was change the oil/filter 3 times with clean oil to wash the crankcase and remove a ton of carbon deposits.

Also, the stumble/misfire/"stick in the mud" problem is only under WOT. Light acceleration is just fine.

could be the MAF easily
Old 12-27-2006, 03:05 PM
reevesracing
1st Gear Member

I will try cleaning it, but I fear that after I do that and go through the Fuel System troubleshooter, I am going to end up either buying a scantool for my laptop or taking the car to a garage to see WTH is going on with it.

It is unfortunate that the previous owners left this car in the condition that I bought it in, but I am working hard on trying to save her.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:06 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Doesn't sound like it is in that bad of shape, just needs some love
Old 12-27-2006, 03:30 PM
reevesracing
1st Gear Member

Added pic to my sig. Needs lots of love. When I first got it, it was beaten up like a red-headed step child inside and out. Open wire twists (Using speaker wire on engine elctrical), and well worn parts to say the least. But I keep telling my wife (Because she complains about the money spent on the car) that this car has potential, and I am not giving up on it.

I will post more after I check things out with the MAF, IAC and the fuel system.

Thanks again for all ya'll help!
Old 12-27-2006, 03:32 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

looks nice. My car is kina like that... only problem left on mine really is the engine. Smokes so bad i run 10/40 oil in it to reduce the smoke a bit.

Good luck on it and do post more of what you find and what u need help with
Old 12-30-2006, 12:34 PM
reevesracing
1st Gear Member

Update on progress:

I went to the store and picked up a new TPS and IAC, and decided to pull the plenum off to thoroughly clean it before putting the new parts on and found something interesting.

Apparently, one of the bolts to hold down the IAC was missing, and also 2 of the hold-down bolts for the plenum were missing - one of which had been replaced with a large amount of epoxy. After carefully removing the epoxy from both the plenum and the intake, it seems that someone was able to successfully break off one of the hold-down bolts for the plenum. The intake does not appear to be cracked, so now I am going to have to get an easy-put and carefully remove what is left of the bolt from the intake and replace it with the bolts I got from the dealership. That is probably part of my problem right there, along with a VERY gummed up plenum and throttle body assembly. I have cleaned all that, so all I have to do now is get that bolt remnant out and try out the new parts to see if they resolve my issues. If not, it is back to the fuel system.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:33 PM
reevesracing
1st Gear Member

Well, after cleaning up the upper plenum, TB, and replacing the IAC and the two missing bolts, I took the car out for a spin and it drove so much better. I came back, checked the voltage across the TPS and it was reading 0.7V instead of the required 0.9V so I went ahead and put the new one on and adjusted it and that took away the tiny hesitation that I was getting after the first test run.

So, needless to say, it is now all back up and going well. Now I need to replace my clutch and then fix the suspension issues and I will be able to start putting some money aside to do a full PI swap.

Thanks again to those who helped me out with suggestions!