4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Identify My Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:19 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

Default Identify My Transmission

I recently bought a 2000 GT, Procharger, MSD ignition, Aeromotive Fuel system, all the suspension stuff, subframe connectors, etc. It is barely d/d. It is a 5 speed Tremec. But I don't know which one ( I think there are more than one model....right?) I have had a Cobra, another GT and a Stage 2 Roush--all with T5 trannys and they felt softer/smoother. This is more "mechanical" feeling--tougher feeling--you feel the gears when you shift. Whereare the markings on the thingand where can I look them up to tell me the Tremec model? (Note: even though the rear end is 3.73, I am at 2350rpm in 5th at 70 mph. Does that mean anything? Could it be gear modified?) Thanks.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:32 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Identify My Transmission

should be the t-45 and the t-3650 was on mid 01 and up new edge. Your rpms seem at about what stock gears would read.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:37 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

it might have a short shifter on it. but its def a T45
Old 12-28-2006, 02:44 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

it might have a short shifter on it. but its def a T45
Okey Dokey. Yes, its a short shifter.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Texas_Hot_Rods
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4.6LPoppy

I recently bought a 2000 GT, Procharger, MSD ignition, Aeromotive Fuel system, all the suspension stuff, subframe connectors, etc. It is barely d/d. It is a 5 speed Tremec. But I don't know which one ( I think there are more than one model....right?) I have had a Cobra, another GT and a Stage 2 Roush--all with T5 trannys and they felt softer/smoother. This is more "mechanical" feeling--tougher feeling--you feel the gears when you shift. Whereare the markings on the thingand where can I look them up to tell me the Tremec model? (Note: even though the rear end is 3.73, I am at 2350rpm in 5th at 70 mph. Does that mean anything? Could it be gear modified?) Thanks.
If it's a T45, it will have an allen headed drain plug on the passenger side facing straight out. (parralel to the ground and bottom of the car.

If it's a TK-3650, it will have the drain plug facing the ground, straight down under the trans.

The T-45 will have a 10.5 inch clutch set up and flywheel, the latter TK-3650 will have an 11 inch set up.

You can't mistake the two and you can see the plug without having to take anything apart. Check and let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:41 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

If it's a T45, it will have an allen headed drain plug on the passenger side facing straight out. (parralel to the ground and bottom of the car.
I thought the T-45 plugs were 3/8 in square plugs. I just used a 3/8 ratchet with no socket to get mine off.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:42 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

Brian (Texas Hot Rods), Thanks. Now that's useful information! You wouldn't happen to know how to tell a Centerforce clutch model would you? Centerforce says I can't tell a model II from a DF through the hole in the bell. I can see the telltale "Centerforce orange" clutch. Mike
Old 12-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Texas_Hot_Rods
2nd Gear Member

(Note: even though the rear end is 3.73, I am at 2350rpm in 5th at 70 mph. Does that mean anything? Could it be gear modified?) Thanks.
If you want to know what gear it has, simply get a jack and jack stand and follow these instructions:

1) Block the front tires
2) Jack the car up and use the stands for safety
3) Where the Drive shaft meets the differential in the back near the rear end, use a marker or piece of tape to make a reference point you can see.
4) Put one of the rear tires where the valve stem is straight up or straight down as you are looking at it from the side of the car.
5) Spin the tire one complete revolution and monitor or count the number of turns your mark on the drive shaft spins. If it's 3.27 turns you have 3.27's, if it's 4.10 turns you have 4.10's. Pretty simple way to find out what gear you have.

If you need pics to explain this, let us know and I will take some to post. This is a common question with used cars as we get alot of customers wanting to know what they have if they didn't build the car.

You can also do this to check to see if a car you are potentially after has what the seller is promoting.

Brian
Texas Hot Rods
Old 12-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Texas_Hot_Rods
2nd Gear Member

Brian (Texas Hot Rods), Thanks. Now that's useful information! You wouldn't happen to know how to tell a Centerforce clutch model would you? Centerforce says I can't tell a model II from a DF through the hole in the bell. I can see the telltale "Centerforce orange" clutch. Mike
We usually don't do alot of centerforces as I don't care for the design of the hanging weights. They usually stick to the floor at higher RPM's when they distort.

I'm not as familiar with these as the Specs or Rams, but you may call Centerforce and ask them what the difference is. It may be the weights or something different on thefingers of the pressure plate.

AND YES, I believe it's a 3/8 square end on the plug, I was just referencing it as not being a bolt head and mainly for location. Sorry.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:57 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

AND YES, I believe it's a 3/8 square end on the plug, I was just referencing it as not being a bolt head and mainly for location. Sorry

Thanks. I wasnt trying to be a smartass or anything, I just wanted to be sure there wasnt something different on mine.

Quick Reply: Identify My Transmission