4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fastest Automatics

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fastest Automatics

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

ORIGINAL: TsmithGT00

Lol. Yeah ur right! Do autos have less hp than manuals? ( This is a tech question so we're good!)
They put less hp to the ground. One of my friends is at college for engines, his instructor said auto trannys (on average) put 20 hp less to the ground than standards do. UTI
His instructor is an idiot. Every auto tranny will put down different numbers and it all depends on the amount of power the car makes in the first place. I hear some automatic trannys have more parasitic lost than others...
Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

I haven't made it to the track yet, but with my mods (see sig) I'm looking for mid 11's on a good launch.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:41 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

I haven't made it to the track yet, but with my mods (see sig) I'm looking for mid 11's on a good launch.
1000ft?
Old 12-29-2006, 11:52 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quick Shot xMLx

Lol. Yeah ur right! Do autos have less hp than manuals? ( This is a tech question so we're good!)
They put less hp to the ground. One of my friends is at college for engines, his instructor said auto trannys (on average) put 20 hp less to the ground than standards do. UTI
His instructor is an idiot. Every auto tranny will put down different numbers and it all depends on the amount of power the car makes in the first place. I hear some automatic trannys have more parasitic lost than others...
His instructore must have no idea what he's talking about, he teaches Auto transmission because: the univirsity wanted a stupid *** teaching for them, so they hired him, the worst person for the job. [/sarcasm]
Old 12-29-2006, 11:59 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

The fluid transmission of an automatic saps more power, than a mechanical manual transmission does, from the engine.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:09 AM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

I'm still in the shop, butmy tuner told me toexpect ~500rwhp on my (very conservative) DD tune, and at least another 50 on my race tune. He's not one to BS either, so my numbers could easily be much higher.

Tranny is a modified 4r75w (built for 1000 fwhp)
Old 12-30-2006, 12:13 AM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quick Shot xMLx

His instructore must have no idea what he's talking about, he teaches Auto transmission because: the univirsity wanted a stupid *** teaching for them, so they hired him, the worst person for the job. [/sarcasm]
Well UTI is not exactly a top quality teaching institution (dispite what their commercials say) ...i have a friend who went through and then went to work for Ford which basically retrained him because UTI teaches a very broad generic education. You could learn what they teach working at a shop as an oil change guy/asst and save 30k...just read up on electrical systems and your good.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:13 AM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

yes... the torqu converter takes some away... but it's not gonna be thatt noticable... I ran a 14.5 stock.. and have yet to see with my lil bit of bolt-ons (magnapacks, diablosport prog., BBK intake, eibach pro-kit)
Old 12-30-2006, 01:29 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yellowgtstang18

12.8 with mods in sig
Have you ran without the 100 shot?

lol, did you forget to list your KB in your sig?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:35 AM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dubarado

yes... the torqu converter takes some away... but it's not gonna be thatt noticable... I ran a 14.5 stock.. and have yet to see with my lil bit of bolt-ons (magnapacks, diablosport prog., BBK intake, eibach pro-kit)
+1

But putting power to the pavement is what matters, and the auto is a LOT easier on the rest of the drivetrain(more delta-t for those that understand calculus)

Quick Reply: Fastest Automatics