4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Talk Me Out of a KB or Tell Me I'm Crazy 'Cause I'm Buying One

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 05:18 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Talk Me Out of a KB or Tell Me I'm Crazy 'Cause I'm Buying One

ORIGINAL: 04mineralgreyGT

It's actually a 2.1L. They stopped with the 1.7 and went to a 2.1 for the 2v's at least.

Congrats on the decision, keep in mind the upgrades to your fuel system and stuff. That'll be some good coin too. Let us know how everything goes with install and everything.
KB kit comes with the boost-a-pumpI know for sure, and injectors may be in there too... Either way injectors aren't bad.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:24 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

ORIGINAL: 04mineralgreyGT

It's actually a 2.1L. They stopped with the 1.7 and went to a 2.1 for the 2v's at least.

Congrats on the decision, keep in mind the upgrades to your fuel system and stuff. That'll be some good coin too. Let us know how everything goes with install and everything.
KB kit comes with the boost-a-pumpI know for sure, and injectors may be in there too... Either way injectors aren't bad.
Thats right, its the boost a spark that is optional equipment. But the KB CAI and larger t/b and MAF don't come with it. They're an optional upgrade from KB. I don't know if a different dealer offers it or not.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:48 AM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

Yea you will def need MAF and new plugs. Plugs need to be gapped at .035 so they wont blow out. Hmmm 5k for s/c another 1k in accesories i guess. I would do it lol. wait i did. welcome to the world of boost. I like the way those kb look on the motor. Awesome to say the least.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:17 AM
1hotdrp
3rd Gear Member

your very lucky. i can get one now but i cant see spending 5-10g's on my car when i have bills that need to be paid off. maybe later on.....dam i hate debt..lol
Old 12-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Dude do it ! You worked hard and saved your pennies, so enjoy.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:00 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

How about, you can't intercool it sufficiently to make serious power??

If you're talking about streetability, and reliability, I'd personally go w/ a Centri, especially knowing that not all gas is equal, and not all temperatures stay the same...

I'm sure there are guys w/ KB's that love them, but how many have over 500hp?? I'm not asking to be a jerk, I'm asking because I want to see how many people can actually achieve that much power reliably??

JT
Old 12-30-2006, 01:27 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Are ya gonna have $$ left over once you buy the kit? There are alot of supporting mods that would be nice to get. If your goal is to have 400RWHP and eventually 500HP, get a centrifucal and be done with it + have money in your pocket.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:42 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

I say your crazy not going for the KB... but make sure to have some money left over for installation and if anything else needs to be upgraded per say your tranny, clutch or whatever.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:02 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

Congratulations. The 2.1L KB is a finekit for making streetable 400rwhp in a 2v Modular motor. When I got my (satin) KB, I later wished I had gone with a polished one... just something to think about.

If you have dreams of daily drivable 500rwhp on pump gas in a 2v, we need to talk (I tried it). 500rwhp on race gas, with a switch chip tune that you only run at the track, doable..... daily driver? Not so much.

BTW - Don't use the KB chip, geta chipcompatible with whatever software your tuner uses. Don't have a dyno tuner, find one. No point in spending all that cash for a KB, and not having your car custom tuned.... plus, when you add more mods, the KB tune will be obsolete anyway.

Other highly recommended mods to make the KB work right:
JLT Cold Air Intake
70mm TB
90mm MAF

Suggested mods (you can get a discount from KB to delete the corresponding items from their kit):
Cobra-compatible Intercooler reservoir
Bosch Intercooler pump
Fluidyne HX

Anyway, congrats on the KB descision, and for having the $$$ to make it happen. Please post your dyno sheet when the installation is complete. Feel free to PM or post any other questions you might have. You can learn a lot more from fellow hot-rodders than you can from vendors that are trying to sell you something (e.g. KB website). I wish I had been on this forum before I wasted a lot of money listening to the wrong people.

Good Luck
Old 12-30-2006, 02:30 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Personally, I like the KB over the Centrifugals - because I love having all that torque down low... but a procharger isn't the worst way to go either, haha... I love the look of the KB/Whipples - sitting on top of the motor like that.. but then again I am a bit partial with my heaton sitting on top of my motor.. lol.... but I was going to go the procharger route with my GT... and I will be either going to a Whipple 3.3L (when it comes out), or a 2.2 or a 2.6KB for the Cobra... we'll see whats available,

The clutch will go eventually once you get over that mark though (around 400-450lb ft tor). Your s/c is going to be a fulltime torque monster, unlike a nitrous setup where its only when you hit the button (even if you hit it a lot). You'll need to upgrade to a 26 spline, or atleast I would... I love my aftermarket clutch - engages so quickly and stiffly it's great.

Quick Reply: Talk Me Out of a KB or Tell Me I'm Crazy 'Cause I'm Buying One