4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Talk Me Out of a KB or Tell Me I'm Crazy 'Cause I'm Buying One

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:35 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Talk Me Out of a KB or Tell Me I'm Crazy 'Cause I'm Buying One

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

Personally, I like the KB over the Centrifugals - because I love having all that torque down low... but a procharger isn't the worst way to go either, haha... I love the look of the KB/Whipples - sitting on top of the motor like that.. but then again I am a bit partial with my heaton sitting on top of my motor.. lol.... but I was going to go the procharger route with my GT... and I will be either going to a Whipple 3.3L (when it comes out), or a 2.2 or a 2.6KB for the Cobra... we'll see whats available,
+1

Maybe I'm old school (or just old), but I grew up thinking that blowers belong on the top of the motor.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Texas_Hot_Rods
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

I finally have the funds to get the TS1000-99-INT kit from KB. It's going to sting the pocket bookwith a base $4999.00 before tax and shipping. Yes that's a ton of cash!!!

I've posted in the past that what I want is a streetable 400rwhp on pump gaswith the option and goal of obtaining 500rwhp after a short block upgrade. I've done my home work and I have made up my mind to go with the KB.

WhatI want to hear is commentsfrom guys who currently have the KB or guys who have switched from a KB to a Centri.

I know what you centri guys think, and that's cool.

Most of the basics have already been posted, especially the fact that supporting items will be needed to get the most out of the kit. The KB is a solid blower, easy install, instant torque, and will make upwards of 400 rwhp pretty easy.

Centri's will be easier on parts and better traction for a DD. They produce less torque down low, and more power up top. This is easier to plant on street tires, hence the DD. It's also alot let stress on the chassis, suspension, etc as you are pouring in the power much smoother as the car is excellerating.

If you have the money, make a budget for what you want and decide whether you want the KB or not. All the blowers will put you in another league.

If you want our 2 cents, get a procharger. They are intercooled which helps for a DD, the kits come with 42's, a fuel pump, tune, and the complete blower assembly with a 1 yr warranty. It's a very straight forward install so you can save a few bucks there to do it yourself. After install, make sure everything is working correctly with the base tune supplied, then find a dealer with a dyno to tune it for perfection.

We install these weekly and alot are DD cars no wanting problems. These blowers are awesome power over bolt ons and still maintain great manners when you need to just scoot to work and back.

P-1sc complete kit is $4399 retail (PM us for our cost, it's too low to list)

This will save you some $$ over the KB and room for some supporting mods like suspension or another set of sticky tires/wheels for the track!

Texas Hot Rods carries all blowers, turbos, and nitrous kits so we have no preference from a sales point. I am recommending what I have had on my one mustangs as well as what we have installed on our customers cars.

Either way, Good Luck. PM if you need pricing. thanks!

Brian
Texas Hot Rods
Old 12-30-2006, 02:51 PM
ZAXJAX
3rd Gear Member

Save your money! Buy a Cobra. That's what I did!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:04 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZAXJAX

Save your money! Buy a Cobra. That's what I did!
+1

That's exactly what I meant in my previous post..... if you aver want 500rwhp in a daily driver on pump gas, you need 4v heads and a forged short block.

It's much cheaper to start with a Cobra than to do what I did (hindsight is 20/20)
Old 12-30-2006, 03:20 PM
muzikp
2nd Gear Member

Yep buy it...Can I drive it when you are done?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:25 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

Old 12-30-2006, 03:31 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

There is someone on these boards selling a used KB 1.7 for $3,000. I forgot who though.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

*Puts Flame Suit on* (always wanted to say that)

I would go with the TS, instant torque is so much fun. Plus, there is a reason you see so many Cobra's with Kenne Bells on them. Some people I've talked to say that centri. makes boost just as fast as TS, but I've never rode in a centri. car so I can't tell you for sure.
That would be b/c of the ease of installation. Its a direct swap. No other reason I can imagine.
I agree here.. Yes KB make nice superchargers for 03/04s but I am yet to see good numbers from a KB going on a 02ish GT.. Your not gonna get that super loud whine like the 03/04s either.. I think your pissing away your money..

Lit, my brother that lives next door, has a 98 KB Cobra.. He topped out at 413 RWHP.. I have basically the same motor and I'm at 456 RWHP.. Thats a big diff IMO.. Thats just ONE example.. I've heard of dozens of others who went w/ the KB.. Unless you have forged internals and are going with their 2.2 and planing on running 15 lbs of boost your pissing away your money..
Old 12-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Below is a link of my spedo... I only post it so you can see I have just about zero spool time..

On the first run my RPM sits at 3k for about .001 of a second and then starts to climb.. I guess you could call that spool lag.. Other then that at 3k RPM I am basically getting insta boost w/ zero lag time for spooling up..

***Keep in mind I was not racing and only messing around.. I was not going for max shifting or anything***

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...4e00f27b5b.htm
Old 12-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Gumby
2nd Gear Member

Wow...very nice!![sm=groupwave.gif]