4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Would a set of muffs be just as good as a catback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 03:17 PM
IROLLSALEEN
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Would a set of muffs be just as good as a catback?

So you guys think that welding in some walker perfomance mufflers and some tips are gonna sound like my Borla stinger? That is why you guys scratch your heads so much.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:20 PM
IROLLSALEEN
2nd Gear Member

Dude you just got your k&n and now your gonna post about exhaust.This is my fourth modded mustang, his new name is lx bill!
Old 01-01-2007, 03:42 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IROLLSALEEN

So you guys think that welding in some walker perfomance mufflers and some tips are gonna sound like my Borla stinger? That is why you guys scratch your heads so much.
Nope, I would hope it would sound better
Old 01-01-2007, 03:44 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

lol..
Old 01-01-2007, 03:48 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I'm on #5 [&:]

Dude you just got your k&n and now your gonna post about exhaust.This is my fourth modded mustang, his new name is lx bill!
Old 01-01-2007, 03:50 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Just like CAI's, Catbacks don't really add any HP on stock to mildly modded 2V's...the stock exhaust piping is 2.5 (changed in 96 from 2.25) and flows good. Its mainly for the sound benefit why we change them.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:53 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

btw, you know you can call borla and buy the stinger mufflers right? take them to an exhaust shop and buy some tips and i bet ya it'll sound just like yours and be cheaper

Old 01-01-2007, 04:03 PM
randyg
1st Gear Member

That's exactly what I was wanting to hear. Why spend $300+ on something you can get get the same sound for with $100-$150 in mufflers. Thanks.
ORIGINAL: droptoppony

Just like CAI's, Catbacks don't really add any HP on stock to mildly modded 2V's...the stock exhaust piping is 2.5 (changed in 96 from 2.25) and flows good. Its mainly for the sound benefit why we change them.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:05 PM
IROLLSALEEN
2nd Gear Member

Then what if you have to make a change,repair, or other i can unbolt the hole deal and bolt it back up no harm no fowl.Im tyring to tell you this is not my first rodeo.Clutch changes are a brees with a good catback and midpipe.Now newbie lets talk about weight, you have not changed one out with the stock one yet or you would now the aftermarket stuff is way lighter.Oh ya and the sound right, Wrong again the stock alluminized tubbing ford uses is poop and they call it stainless. Check out a slp or bassani or borla the tube used is by far better.The sound rumbles throught the stainless better imo. By the way my first stang had some welded in flows and the cats punched out so ive gone both ways.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:10 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Then what if you have to make a change,repair, or other i can unbolt the hole deal and bolt it back up no harm no fowl.Im tyring to tell you this is not my first rodeo.Clutch changes are a brees with a good catback and midpipe.Now newbie lets talk about weight, you have not changed one out with the stock one yet or you would now the aftermarket stuff is way lighter.Oh ya and the sound right, Wrong again the stock alluminized tubbing ford uses is poop and they call it stainless. Check out a slp or bassani or borla the tube used is by far better.The sound rumbles throught the stainless better imo. By the way my first stang had some welded in flows and the cats punched out so ive gone both ways.
...hehe

Quick Reply: Would a set of muffs be just as good as a catback?