4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone want to explain the best exhaust setup for my GT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 09:26 PM
xgmowner

Default Anyone want to explain the best exhaust setup for my GT?

I'm picking up an '02 Mineral Grey GT this weekend, and want to do the exhaust almost immediately. I've been considering X or H pipes, and a good catback for both improved power and, of course, sound. Any suggestions? Or more importantly, any to stay away from? I was thinking of doing the SLP exhaust with an X pipe/cats. How about that? Thanks in advance for "schooling me" on the ways of the force
Old 09-19-2004, 09:31 PM
xgmowner

Default RE: Anyone want to explain the best exhaust setup for my GT?

....and I just now read the mods post about putting things in the right forum, so I know this belongs in the Pipes forum, sorry about that...dammit!!!!!!![&o] I will also search, but if anyone has a quick answer, by all means, please let me know....sorry to the mods if you have to move this post.

Dave.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:41 PM
GTfreak

well a friend of mine said he recommends magnaflow x pipe cause he says somethin about it being the only true x pipe. but thats his opinion, i dont know anything. this thread will also be helpin me out cause i dont know what to get either
Old 09-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Most people on here will tell u to go magnaflow because they are a straight through muffler and will give you better peformance gains. There are really 2 main types of mufflers and 2 main types of midpipes. For mufflers there is chambered vs straight through. The chambered will give you a much deeper grumble than the straight through will but the chambered create backpressure so it wont give you as much performance gain as a straight through muffler will. The most popular chambered mufflers are flowmasters and MAC. The most popular straight through mufflers are magnaflow and Bassani. The 2 types on midpipes are H and X. Again the H will give you a much deeper grumble than the X but the X will give you better performance gains. With the H-pipe you will gain more low end torque, with the X you will gain more high end horsepower. I cant say for sure about the X but with the H I gained low end torque and I felt a gain in the high end horsepower also. My preference is Borla. Borla is the best performance and IMO sounds awesome also.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Razor covered it pretty good. The x-pipe tends to place your new found TQ & HP higher in the power band than the h-pipe.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

Razor covered it pretty good. The x-pipe tends to place your new found TQ & HP higher in the power band than the h-pipe.
So with the X-pipe you dont lose any low end torque it just pushes it up higher in the power band? If that is true is that the same way with the H-pipe except horsepower and torque get moved down more in the power band?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

SLP xpipe+stock catback=
Old 09-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Razor19

So with the X-pipe you dont lose any low end torque it just pushes it up higher in the power band? If that is true is that the same way with the H-pipe except horsepower and torque get moved down more in the power band?

From everything I've seen, both make equal TQ numbers and the X puts out 2-3hp more in most dyno's I've seen. The significant difference is that the x-pipes tend to show the gains higher in the power band than h-pipes. For 99+ GT cars, we have a respectable flat torque curve compared to the 4v NA Cobra's, this is how many 99GT guys can click off equal times stock if they can utilize the torque.

I'm editing my post because I thought I should clarify something, it might feel as if you lose torque, but it's just the illusion of your TQ being raised higher in your power band.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Cedarkill
2nd Gear Member

Pipe size definitely makes a difference too...I mean, most everything you'll find will be 2.5" piping which is ideally what you want for a stock to semi-modded car. Personally, when looking for a power increase, I'd like to see it at a lower rpm considering the 4.6, well my '96 anyways, doesn't make peak #'s until the rpm's are cranked pretty high. Meaning, you'll want that low end torque rather than high end horse power to give you that little extra kick off the line and gear to gear. If you ask me, a quality cat-less h-pipe and chambered (tho old tech. if you will) catback will sound thick and deep and perform. Personally, I can't take that raspy, tin can sound, I like that deep, thick thunder tone which is what the H and chambers will bring you. Personally, I'm one for Flowmaster but those MAC catbacks have my interest. Just have to remember that more flow doesn't always mean more power...you may lose torque which will make it feel slower off the line and at lower rpm's.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

I posted this in the Pipes section a few times so here ya go.

Headers:
Shorties for good power, and fit directly to midpipe.
Longtubes for better power, but do not pass emmissions.

Mid Pipes:
H-Pipe for low end torque and deep, throaty exhaust.
X-Pipe for high end horsepower and higher pitched exhaust.

Mufflers:
Straight through mufflers such as Magnapacks for highest power gains.
Chambered mufflers like Flowmaster for good power gains, and killer sound (IMO).

Price:
All depends on how well you shop. I recommend doing a lot of research.

You want the most horsepower? Get an X pipe with Magnaflow exhaust.
I did NOT do this because i love the sound of an H pipe with Flowmaster mufflers.
In my opinion, even though the Xpipe Magnaflow Combo makes more power,
the H Pipe Flowmaster combo makes almost the same power gains, but sounds
deeper and more aggressive, kinda like a 60s musclecar with a big block.

For more information go to www.mustangexhaust.com

Quick Reply: Anyone want to explain the best exhaust setup for my GT?