4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

y all the horor stories

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

Default y all the horor stories

i have been thinking about going TT on my mustang
i have heard of a lot of guys saying bad things about the turbos that can be bought on ebay
has anyone had any experience with these, are they really that bad

i haven't bought any yet but don't want to pay too much if i don't have to

thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 10:55 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: y all the horor stories

Im sure you can find deals on turbos on ebay, but you should learn about turbos first so you don't end up with a crappy one that doesn't perform how you want or doesnt have potential.

On another note, getting the turbo is the easy (and one of the cheaper) part. The piping is the biggie that cost either a lot offabrication time or money. Then you will need to address the other turbo goodies like intercoolers and BOV's, and also other areas on your car needed to support turbos like the fuel system.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

Most turbos sold on ebay are that SSautochrome or equivilant trash. I've heard and know of a few people who've bought them and they crap out within a month. Now I've "heard" that the quality is better now but I wouldn't trust that.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

i know about all of the other supporting mods, that isn;t my question
also how do u mean crap out, that is the point of this post. I want specifics not just a bunch of rumors
Old 01-02-2007, 10:59 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Get TT from HP Performance... I'd pay the extra money because of their experience and reputation. A good kit will run around 6500.00 not including installation..... If your gonna keep your bottom end stock.... you might as well just supercharge... Only reason you may want a TT setup is to bring your GT into a super pissed off 2v sohc monster. Which will require alot of money....

Project Bumboclaat was almost a TT setup.... butI saved about 3 grand going the supercharger route. The horsepower output would have been around the 700rwhp..... But who needs all that power? I will one day but one step at a time.... a solid 11 sec car on drag radials and 10 sec on slicks and skinnies is good enough for me now.

Besides..... I save alot of money on my car insurance switching to geico.....
Old 01-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fuel

i know about all of the other supporting mods, that isn;t my question
also how do u mean crap out, that is the point of this post. I want specifics not just a bunch of rumors
Well let me give you an example of somebody I know. Bought an Ebay kit for a Civic. Ran it for a week and blew that POS D15 motor. Sold it to a friend. He ran it for about 3 weeks and the turbo seals went out and started burning/leaking(can't remember) oil. The general consensus in the DSM community is that those Ebay turbos are complete trash....
Old 01-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

ok aparently everyone here is getting me wrong.
I am going to forge the motor(if u read my sig my car has 198k miles on it, it is tired), also i have done my research on what ratios and sizes of turbos that i need. i have also done the research on the complete setup, that is y i am going to be fabricating my own system(hence y i want to know about the turbos only)

please address the stated question

thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 11:35 PM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

I've gotten several turbos off of ebay and only know of 1 that had a problem.All depends who you get them from.Make sure they have good feedback and you should be fine.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

what turbos did u get and what was the problem with the one?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:45 PM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

I get all kinds of turbos for family and friends. I usually get turbos that come on eclipses or volvos or vw's,some used and some new. The one that had a problem had a bad seal so it continually burnt oil, but it was used so i took a risk on it and got screwed.

Quick Reply: y all the horor stories