4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installed triax...normal noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 PM
P8ntbala
1st Gear Member

Default Installed triax...normal noise?

So yeah I installed the triax today and so far am impressed...My main concern though is the noise I am hearing now the new shifter is in place. I know I am to expect more road noise from the new shifter but I cant help but think the stops are in just slightly too far. As I put the boot back on the stops were not touching the handle so I have nothing to worry about right? There is a noticable difference between the whine/scratchiness I hear and what would happen if the gears were not properly engaging right?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:49 PM
SN95FoxII
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Installed triax...normal noise?

If they are not touching then dont worry about it you installed it correctly, now if when you go to put it into gear it doesnt go inor binds then yeah you have a problem just back the stops off no biggie. As for road noise when I put my triax in there was definitley an increase in noise/ gear whine that is normal especially if you have a tremec they are noisy anyway.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:04 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Yea you're going to have more noise with any aftermarket shifter over the stock shifter because the aftermarket shifter does not use the factory bushings which hide the sound of the transmission. The bushings however make the shifter sloppy and unreliable.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

If you have a 3650 tranny, you may not need the stops but thats another story. When I bought my 02 GT, it had a Steeda in it. It made a rattling noise only in 5th gear and only when accelerating. Sounded like popcorn or BB's dropping into an empty coffee can. Anyway, when the car warmed up, the noise went away. I wrote to Steeda and this is what they said:

As our Steeda Tri-Ax Shifters are drastically more solid, more positive and use no rubber or plastic components, internal transmission gear noise that is always present even in a new trans.will be amplified and transmitted through the shifter. This seems to quiet down after warming up as fluids are flowing better and the internals expand to take up cold clearances. The reason for the 5th gear only condition is that in 5th there is less load applied to the 5th/reverse cluster and as you tip in & out of throttle as small as an operation as it is, will cause a slack in that assembly and therefore noise! It is not a concern more so than an annoyance. We do have a Shift Isolator Kit # 555-7096 @ $7.95 that will lessen these effects if need be. Let me know if we can be of further help. This information will also tell you how smart the Ford Dealer Tech's are!!!

FYI...I purchased the isolator kit but it did not help. Its cheaper to just turn up the radio. Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:35 PM
P8ntbala
1st Gear Member

ok cool...sounds like id know if it wasnt set correctly...also do these things kinda smooth out over time, like it still takes some considerable force to get into 5th or reverse.. will the 'edges' (for lack of a better word) while transfering between gears wear down, or am I just trying to feel what the stock shifter sacrificed performance for? Thanks
Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 AM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

The noise is completely normal, I only notice it in the begining of 1st gear with the stereo off.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:35 AM
leglocking101
2nd Gear Member

When I first got my Tri-Ax i was very concerned. Thing was noisey as hell and shifts were so stiff. After realizing that I forgot to put some RVT High Temp Sealer on there I took it off and cleaned it off real good and got my RVT on there. Noise seemed to damn near go away.

As for te stiff shifting. Yes it will deffinatly smooth out. I was a little concerned with this at first too. I have had mine in for about 2 months now and going through shifts is like pulling a knife through warm butter.

One thing I did as well was put a little RVT sealer on my shifter handle.Not too much though. Get everything on there nice and tight and take your time putting it in and you will be satisfied.

If your still concerned..........this is a very easy and fast install. Just take the shifter back out and put it in again. I find that i get better at things with practice anyway.

Hope this helps..........And dont worry as long as your stop bolts arent touching your fine.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:42 PM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

Even with rvt silicone sealer mine makes alittle bit of noise. I have gotten used to it though, at first I thought my tranny was about to blow[] but then I remebered that all the noise reducing gaskets etc. were removed
Old 01-04-2007, 02:22 PM
leglocking101
2nd Gear Member

i still have a little noise not too bad though. I actually ordered that gasket for the shifter and im still waiting to get it to put it in. Ill post to let you all know which i think works better.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kylebgt

Even with rvt silicone sealer mine makes alittle bit of noise. I have gotten used to it though, at first I thought my tranny was about to blow[] but then I remebered that all the noise reducing gaskets etc. were removed
When we first bought the car my dad thought something was ****ed up in the tranny from the wreck. I thought so too until I read the shifter handle and found out it was a Tri-Ax and did a bit of research on it. That **** is noisy as hell.

Do some of you guys sometimes get a fairly large clicking sound as you're putting it in second....

Quick Reply: Installed triax...normal noise?