4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Quiet down my exhaust!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:10 PM
JT76

Default Quiet down my exhaust!!!!!!

On my 02' GT I currently have Borla Stingers, SLP X pipe and a set of SLP LT headers going in soon. Right now the car is stupid loud. What would be a good set of mufflers to swap in that would quiet down the car for daily driving (also plan on a road trip down to flordia this spring, and I dont feel like being pulled over in every state) I want something that still sounds decent, but not the sonic boom that the stingers create. Thanks guys.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Quiet down my exhaust!!!!!!

I like the sound of the stingers. I'd just get a catted mid pipe, that'll quite it significantly, and if you get something like a catted H you'll get a nice low rumble without being too loud.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:34 PM
JT76

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

I like the sound of the stingers. I'd just get a catted mid pipe, that'll quite it significantly, and if you get something like a catted H you'll get a nice low rumble without being too loud.
I already have a SLP Catted X installed for about 8 months now along with the stingers, thats why its wayyy too loud, and the SLP headers are sitting in the garage. I guess i should have clarified. Its not that i dont thinkthat itsounds good, or that i dont like it, i love it. But the fact isthat i get pulled over , it seems like every other time i take it out past dark, which gets a little old after a while.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:47 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanggang1892

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

I already have a SLP Catted X installed for about 8 months now along with the stingers, thats why its wayyy too loud, and the SLP headers are sitting in the garage. I guess i should have clarified. Its not that i dont thinkthat itsounds good, or that i dont like it, i love it. But the fact isthat i get pulled over , it seems like every other time i take it out past dark, which gets a little old after a while.
Ahh, you do have a catted pipe then. I just assumed that most people with LMs or Stingers have O/R pipes because they like the loud. If you have a catted pipe and you still get pulled over, then two things, first, the cops around there are *****, and two, you need to learn how to drive quiet around cops. If you stick it up another gear and keep it running < 2000 RPMs and keep light on the throttle, I can't imagine any cop pulling you over.

If you want quieter, go listen to some sound clips of chambered mufflers that you like and see what sounds the best to you. It's all a matter of personal opinion, so no one can really help out too much. I personally like my exhaust setup, but I don't like X pipes, and I don't know what it would sound like with one. Even with an O/R pipe though, mine isn't loud until I step on it (that's partially the prochamber which I love for that).
Old 01-04-2007, 01:06 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

If you don't want it to be 'stupid' loud... then your probably gonna need to ditch the SLP catted X. Even with cats, those midpipes are still close to a straight pipe as can be. Adding headers will only make it louder which isn't want your wanting. They really arent a good bang for your buck power adder unless your making 500-600 rwhp. They are just a pita to put on anyways. I would sell the SLP headers and SLP catted X, get either a MRT catted H, Mac catted prochamber or something of that sort and call it a day. Its still gonna be loud, but will be a little deeper than what you have now.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:10 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Swap out the slp X for a catted H,, then go from there

*ps,, youre gay*
Old 01-04-2007, 04:12 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

maybe regular magnaflows?

but your best bet is ditching the x like others have said, maybe prochamber?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:14 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

wow. so the borla stingers didnt deepen it? and do you have cats?

also.. you could add in mufflers with all the stuff you already have installed??
Old 01-04-2007, 04:14 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I had the same problem, I got sick of turning cop's heads along with everyone else's. I went with magnaflows (not magnapacks, but regular magnaflows) and they did the trick.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

That is the exact same set-up that I'm running (minus the longtubes, but you dont have them installed anyways), and I have never been pulled over for it. Cops where you live must be really bored or something.....

Quick Reply: Quiet down my exhaust!!!!!!