4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Really Good Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 02:56 AM
MCanavan6
3rd Gear Member

Default Really Good Drivers

I can drive a stick like the average person, I dont use any sort of racing techniques or anything I just upshift and downshift. I constantly hear about the "driver mod" and am wondering what kinds of techniques really good professional type drivers use to get these times that you see in magazines like c&d and r&t. I would like to know how to drive a stick faster than the typical driver. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 03:02 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Really Good Drivers

lol i dont think you can shift the way pros do if your tranny is stock...well i guess you can but your gonna pay for it. . literaly
Old 01-06-2007, 03:11 AM
MCanavan6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

lol i dont think you can shift the way pros do if your tranny is stock...well i guess you can but your gonna pay for it. . literaly
well how do they manage to get a stock GT to under a 14-second 1/4 mile?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:17 AM
Hash06
4th Gear Member

they powershift the hell out of those cars. it is not ever letting off the gas when shifting. you just keep it floored and shift as hard and fast as you can and pop the clutch
Old 01-06-2007, 03:18 AM
MCanavan6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hash06

they powershift the hell out of those cars. it is not ever letting off the gas when shifting. you just keep it floored and shift as hard and fast as you can and pop the clutch
and this would tear the hell out of a stock gt w/ tremac 3650?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:19 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

powershifting and letting the clutch slip on launch... not difficult really (of course hiting it perfect also takes a little luck) just practice and you'll be as good as anybody else.. also between shifts another trick is to push the clutch only as far as to disengage it, not puting it all the way to the floor.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:20 AM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

slicks and speed/power shifting. its not hard. just dont take your foot off the gas, keep it to the floor and shift as fast as possible. i would not reccomend starting off doing that right away, do it little by little and dont mess up or u willpay 4 it. I've had mine and 70% of the time i get on it i speed shift and not one problem yet
Old 01-06-2007, 03:45 AM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

slicks and speed/power shifting. its not hard. just dont take your foot off the gas, keep it to the floor and shift as fast as possible. i would not reccomend starting off doing that right away, do it little by little and dont mess up or u willpay 4 it. I've had mine and 70% of the time i get on it i speed shift and not one problem yet
borrow a friends manual honda if you wanna try it for your first time, it's so easy with those little paper weight clutches, but then again, i'm not familiar with what the stock gt clutch feels like anymore lol.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:35 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

RgR i think all of the trash talkin about powershifting is from people can't/havn't done it and hard core track go'ers who would *** up a built tranny anyway
Old 01-06-2007, 10:57 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

The problem w/ doing this on a Honda and doing it on a Mustang is comparing Apples to oranges.. One of them is FWD and will respond a lot differently to launching than a RWD car w/ a bunch of torque in comparison..

Know your clutch actuation better than the folks who designed it.. Seriously.. Know the engagement point so well that you can hit it perfectly everytime.. Then you'll know where you're at in terms of when and how to shift....

Other than that, get some practice.. If you're new at it, you're going to go through clutches, that's just the bottom line.. Racing's expensive, especially when you're starting out...

If you're talking about other methods, try learning how to Rev-Match.. That's a better way, than just NLTS driving... It won't destroy your clutch as much, and definitely won't put your drivetrain through unnecessary shock..

JT

Quick Reply: Really Good Drivers